Keen Meets the Meats (really!)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I'm glad I could help and I'm glad it's released....sorry for the apparent bugs and crashes which are, no other words - imbarassing...and such a pity for a mod so much work and thought was put into.
Properly testing the game is very important...

Guys, calm down, don't act like a bunch of mad teenagers. Lets see what we can do.
Do you have backup of that properly tested earlier version? Maybe we can release that one?
Are the changes made to it since easy reversable? Is it just a level to remove of enemy type?

You could backup version history, we do it for the mods our team develops, each source version is backuped till the mod is released.

Note.txt file communication is imbarassing. Sorry. This is stone age.
I offered you whole subforum on my forum long time ago... is it pride? Or what?
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

The "properly tested and stable earlier version" was bad because of lass's bad level designs. I fixed them!
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

I think you all need to check yourselves before you wreck yourselves. What I see is a whole bunch of big egos blaming each other for the small problems found in a fantastic mod.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

I like the hypnotic walls in the boss' chamber. Clever idea.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Great mod so far, guys.
Insanely hard but so much fun. I like how each level is of different theme.
I barely tested this mod before, only first level...now I see the final result and it's great.

So far the only bug I've met was in the waste level...I died right at the start and it made the level "finished", like I've finished it...

Why the fridges bottom door has no handle? I remember making such tiles.

Should we release scrapped art?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

DoomJedi wrote:Should we release scrapped art?
Yup, that'll be in a zip file called Extras.
Yeah, piece of cake!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Flaose wrote:I think you all need to check yourselves before you wreck yourselves. What I see is a whole bunch of big egos blaming each other for the small problems found in a fantastic mod.
Don't take what we say seriously, it's just our sense of humor =)

But if there is anything to blame for the small setbacks in this mod, it's the memory constraints coded into the Keen Dreams .exe (many cut corners, cool stuff couldn't fit or ended up unfeasible. There was even supposed to be water if Lass is to be trusted). With the source code released, an awesome total conversion could be made. KMTM as a mod with patches was already existing by the time that code was released and it would have been a waste of effort to throw it out and try to re-create it in the dreams code. Maybe someone with ambition could make the best Keen Meets the Meats ever someday. For now just enjoy it for what it is.

I'm impressed with how many differently themed levels Lass and Szemi were able to put in (but if Lass had her way, there'd be a lot more annoying splattys to force constant reloading). It looks unkeenish the first time you see it, but once you actually play through it a bit, you find out that it's really one of the more Keeny-est mods out there.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:Don't take what we say seriously, it's just our sense of humor =)
Oh good :lol I was hoping that it was just me being completely out of touch, but I was worried that it wasn't.
Eat at Joe's
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

You are out of touch. I wouldn't say "small problems" to the fact that the mod crashes and it's pretty much unplayable for me. If that's a "small problem", I don't know what a big problem is for you.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

If the biggest problem in your life is not being able to play a Keen Dreams mod, I'd say life is good. The version VikingBoyBilly posted is working great for me, though. No crashes in over an hour of play.
Eat at Joe's
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

This mod would have been better if I were involved. >:
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Paramultart wrote:This mod would have been better if I were involved. >:
We called you to join, but you were nowhere.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

It's probably not a good sign that the forum title has (really!) in it...
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Levack wrote:It's probably not a good sign that the forum title has (really!) in it...
:p
No, but considering the lingering effects of April Fools day, it was necessary. But hey. What do you think we are? Professionals? A keen mods are not the most plentiful things in the world. How many are released each year? Who profits from these mods?
This is something special. I've been thinking about this for a while. There is no such thing as a bad commander keen mod.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

troublesomekeen wrote:This is something special. I've been thinking about this for a while. There is no such thing as a bad commander keen mod.
Have you played vanished to Venus? That's the one I never finished; not because of difficulty; not because of design that makes some mods unfinishable or game killing.

I quit, as far as I remember, because I got bored, and it's pretty forgettable. If that's not a bad keen mod, I don't know what is. Impossibly Hard mods and terrible mods have value in their infamy so I wouldn't call those bad. Maybe I need to give vanished to venus another chance; it's been years.