Keen Meets the Meats (really!)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I was finally able to play this game and I really like it. I have beaten easy and normal and now I will be starting a hard run soon.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Hard might be even crashier due to the monster count, just a warning.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

It just might be, but if so I can still say I finally played the game.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Thanks, great to hear :) Have fun :)
Snortimer
Vortininja

Re:

Post by Snortimer »

Roobar wrote: Thu May 21, 2015 18:03 Riiiight. One would think that at least the first level is well playtested. The next crash is here:

I think I downloaded the newest version from the wiki, but I'm still getting this bug.

Also, it doesn't seem possible to play this on Easy mode, because when I load a saved game, it loads in Normal mode. That's a shame, because I like how the effect of the crispy ammunition is permanent in Easy mode (I never did like the temporary stunning in Dreams)

Other than the bugs, this is the best Keen Dreams mod I've played. The art, level design, patching and story all seem quite well-done so far (as of the first few levels). It's easily as good as any "official" Dreams sequel I can imagine coming out back then.
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Soul Monster
Vortininja

Re: Re:

Post by Soul Monster »

Snortimer wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:51 I think I downloaded the newest version from the wiki, but I'm still getting this bug.

Also, it doesn't seem possible to play this on Easy mode, because when I load a saved game, it loads in Normal mode. That's a shame, because I like how the effect of the crispy ammunition is permanent in Easy mode (I never did like the temporary stunning in Dreams)

Other than the bugs, this is the best Keen Dreams mod I've played. The art, level design, patching and story all seem quite well-done so far (as of the first few levels). It's easily as good as any "official" Dreams sequel I can imagine coming out back then.
I don't know if it's on Keenwiki or not, but K1n9_Duk3 created an unofficial update that fixes all the crashing issues as well as a few other things. Here's a link to the thread that has this version: viewtopic.php?p=95423&hilit=unofficial+ ... 020#p95423
Snortimer
Vortininja

Re: Re:

Post by Snortimer »

Soul Monster wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 15:53I don't know if it's on Keenwiki or not, but K1n9_Duk3 created an unofficial update that fixes all the crashing issues as well as a few other things. Here's a link to the thread that has this version: viewtopic.php?p=95423&hilit=unofficial+ ... 020#p95423
Thanks! I hadn't realized that a lot of those aren't on the wiki pages yet. I really think they should be.
I've changed the wiki page for this mod to make the 2020 bugfix be the default download (because it really should be, the original release seems to have had some SERIOUS bugs right from the start), and added a new section about the different versions.

EDIT: Ok, played a few levels into the 2020 bugfixed version and it seems a lot more playable. Nice! The "difficulty level" bug is fixed.
The goplat graphics sometimes shake, though (previously, I think they would ALWAYS shake).

I found a bug in the Waste Management level (the building at the bottom of the map).

If you climb up the pole at the start of the level and let yourself be killed, Keen's death sprite walk along the bottom of the level, seemingly halfway falling through the floor. And then, the level thinks that you've beaten it, and a checkmark shows over the building in the world map!

EDIT2: Also, I just want to say that playing this mod, with its delicious-looking items, makes me kinda hungry. :freud In this Episode: Keen goes on the Carnivore Diet!

EDIT3: There are a bunch of graphical bugs with the moving platforms in the "Plant" level being on top of the regular platforms:
Member since at least 1998 with... ah... some long absences. I was even a moderator at one point. I'll probably keep coming back here and there as long as this place still exists.
Snortimer
Vortininja

Re: Keen Meets the Meats (really!)

Post by Snortimer »

Well, I finished it. It really is an excellent mod, now that the more serious bugs have been fixed (though I found some more that hopefully can be fixed one day - see below).

The level designs felt pretty fair (despite the difficulties associated with Keen not being able to look up/down in the Dreams engine - I think the designs took that into account), and some levels were a real pleasure to play. I especially enjoyed Lvl 10 (Mz Chamburger) - it was quite funny, well-designed and delicious-looking to boot. :) There were others too, I just can't remember their names right now. All in all, a fair amount of variety! The graphics and overall design are quite impressive and create a believable world.

I did miss the lack of good music a little, but this being a Dreams mod, I guess you can't do much about that.

But yeah, this is one I can see myself replaying, maybe even on a higher difficulty. The difficulty (at least on Easy mode) was just fine, though some bits were a bit tricky and required save scumming (especially the upper-right exit of lvl11 Waste Management - there's a baddie there that keeps throwing projectiles at you really fast from behind a door - but to open that door, you need to get right up close to it and then have PERFECT timing to jump away before a projectile hits you). I wonder if few people have actually played this mod on anything below Hard, because of the bug in the original release that switched all saved games to Hard Mode.

More bugs I found, graphical and otherwise:

At the beginning of the Meatgrinder level, it is possible to get stuck in this area without a key to open that door on the right. You can't die to get out of it, either. Better hope you have a previous save to go back to!

If you climb the pole and jump left, it's possible to end up in the wall and then to "successfully exit" the level:

Another case of going into a wall after jumping left while climbing a pole. At least in this case, you don't get stuck and end up on the platform above if you move:

Keen's head is on top of the ceiling:

Keen is too low in the floor:

...and this jump doesn't seem right, either:

I guess this "bug" is better than getting killed there by that fast-moving wall as it smashes left, but it does look strange:

Seems like Keen's head should be below that entrance:

The graphics on the right side of the treadmill don't look right, somehow:

Goplat graphics partly overlap regular platform:

Keen's head is visible through the ceiling:

A weird thing happens when you jump here:

Goplat should be behind the other platform/wall:

Keen's head on top of the ceiling again:

The wall goes further to the left on the bottom than when you jump:

Drumsticks seem stuck too low in the floor (and the one on the right is inconsistent):

Keen can jump right through some platforms from the bottom (in the very final boss battle level):

Also, in the final boss level, there seems to be some invisible field preventing you from running too far to the right after the boss appears?
Weird. He moves so fast that the only strategy that worked for me was just running right and then throwing all the eggs at him really quickly.

(SPOILER)
"Abduct-0-Beam" is misspelled in the final text:

Also, here's my score:
(all of the screenshots I took are also posted here)

Weird, the wiki says that there are 16 levels, but I seem to have only found 14. I'll have to check back and see which ones I missed...
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keen Meets the Meats (really!)

Post by DoomJedi »

I want to say a few words about that mod which is very very special to me - being the only --released-- Keen mod I've participated in.

I want to say I enjoyed the experience much and I thank those who involved me in it.
I wasn't new to spriting or making tiles - but doing it in Keen color count and size (and a perspective) was a special experience and challenge, and looking back at it - I'm think I did better than I'd expect. Alot of times I'm looking at old mods of mine (Wolf3D/Doom/Keen) and sometimes it looks like I couldn't do as well now.
I love gore and guts so this mods connected well with me :) And I somehow tend (?) to take part in a bit provocative-themed projects (Keen and blood/gore???) but those find me for some reason LOL. Such mods for me are not to provoke or offend but to feel special I guess, to stand out.
I loved that I could bring my own ideas and inspirations into it, easters and gags too, I loved the freedom the team gave me in this. Loved designing those wall posters and even to bring my own art style to the big Boss.
That was a special fun and overall this is one of the better modding experiences.

I'm still very much humble with my spriting and tiling capabilities (at least in Keen style) and so when someone reviews this mod - each time I'm like...fearing someone will claim this to be inferior artwise to other Keen mods, like in "Suits" TV series - "this wasn't made by true Harward/Keen spriter!" and uncover that 1-time Keen modder like myself took part. Experienced - but newbie to Keen modding and sure inferior to many many spriters/modders of this community.
But in a way - you all know every spriter has his own style, and so Keen eye ( :-) ) would notice something special in an art style of this mod :)
And each time this mod feels natural in Keen modding community, and remembered - I feel...exalted really. In Heavens. This is quite emotional.
For me it's so special and such a special memory yet all I want for it - not to stand out but naturally feel like "another Keen mod". Product of love, dedication and inspiration.
A bit seemingly contradictory - but a heart of people here will understand that it's really isn't.

I want really to thank again the great team that was behind the idea and together brought it to life. The other spriters and artists ,patchers, mappers.

For me another such moment was working on Blue Bird rotations of BoA Keen levels and Nisaba being proud of my work telling me she wouldn't make better rotations. She most probably would, but still was so nice to hear. Like...you're one of us pal. Part of a family.
I admire Nisaba so much as a modder and a spriter.
Again I'm sorry I did so little Keen modding, but I love this community much, one of my beloved modding communities, I admire and love you all.