Commander Kylie

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi, isn't "Martinez McMeyer" like your character
would it not be a bit odd to replace a mod character with another mod character, that is the Star of said mod?.
I'm not sure what you expect me to make for your "Grand Intelligence trilogy" ;p
Keening_Product wrote:
Zilem wrote:Also completely forgot that i have Kylie with her pony tail over her shoulder, that i made back in july.
I like this. Good stuff.
Glad you like it ^^
Plasma Captain wrote:That Bio Menace character looks awesome.
Thank you :3
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Martinez McMeyer is the good alter of Mortimer McMire. I didn't expect anything from you to make, just said that don't forget about him.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi wrote:Martinez McMeyer is the good alter of Mortimer McMire. I didn't expect anything from you to make, just said that don't forget about him.
Forgetting Martinez McMeyer is like cutting out Einstein and he's inventions from Red Alert III
> Red Alert 3 Intro
I have some ideas but i'm a bit unsure if i can pull them off.

Also decided to pack the Bio Menace with the KeenGraphs tool from the "Keen Krisis" for Bio Menace tonight.
which had same success before; a constant stutter when idle constantly between the idle and jump frame, slowly moving forwards
and randomly cancel jumps almost at the beginning of the jump
I can stop it by moving left or right, but it will randomly begin again after a interrupted jump and always after Ducking...

It even happens with importing the original files (after they have been exported)
with the original "EGADICT.BM1", "EGAGRAPH.BM1" and "EGAHEAD.BM1"

But using the "EGADICT.BM1", "EGAGRAPH.BM1" and "EGAHEAD.BM1" from keen crisis
instead of the 3 i packed with KeenGraphs, there almost were no issue, aside the tiles not matching up at all, witch makes me think that i am import the files wrong....

But Packing just the Keen Frames from "Keen Crisis" (2SPR0066 - 2SPR0104 - 39 Frames)
then there were no stutter.... but lockd Doors just eats keys and don't open...
just from the .bmp frames

and this is the .pat:
%ext bm1
%version 1.1
%end

I literally have no idea why this nonsense occurs <.<;
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Modding Bio Menace is more complicated than Keen, even if it uses the same engine.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi wrote:Modding Bio Menace is more complicated than Keen, even if it uses the same engine.
Yeah especially for a person that isn't that good with code. and this hash-code which just noise to me...

I find it rather odd is that importing "textures" could have an impact on the code
rendering issues or importing not going as planned is a more expected outcome.

but of all the files imported into the archive
it is one or multiple of the 39 Player sprite frames (of which 35 is untested)
and the 397 other files seem to have nothing to do with this nonsense...
running some further Tests....

Hmmm!.... this is bit odd yet interesting:
It is still unclear what is causing the issues - but they both seem to tied to:
2SPR0066.BMP (Idle Right)
and 2SPR0071.BMP (Idle Left)
none of the 343 files, seem to have a play in either issues, only those 2 frames.

The issues are:
A: Stuttering frames with Imported Original and my edit, not with the "Keen crisis" sprite.
B: Keys gets used but doors don't open, only with the "Keen crisis" sprite.
C: when testing with the "Keen crisis" for the 2 troubled frames, you no longer seem to be able to trow grenades, unless your mid air.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The issues are a weird bug about how KG does hitboxes, KG is currently like two years without an update. The bug is covered here in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-ls-OolKfE

Something similar could be done with Biomenace or I could try and finally update KG to remove the bug.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Oh yeah, that does sound it could be the thing. as the jump frame were present for a split sec sound all 3 issues.

It seems like it all works now, oh wait now she's jumping at locked doors... and not anymore.
Thanks for the hint Levellass! ^o^
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

So i have Tweaking the text-intro of Commander Keen Episode 4
after many trial and Errors... and tests
the Final line ended in game as: "importance....Border Village"
a bit funny that the first levels name appeared, have any of you seen this as well?

I made these as an alternation to the "Hidden" frames, and i am wondering if i should add them?

Ran into some strangeness in Bio Menace with the Portrait pictures and full-screens (anything non sprite or tile)
where the Image was moved 4 pixels to the right within the Frame and the reappearing on the right as they would original on the left
although have been move 1 pixel downward and the last 4x1 pixel was in the upper right corner, which used to be the far bottom left
and I'm not really sure what the issue is, as it is not present in unaltered Pictures...
But countering the issue this way. makes it looks correct in-game.
although it is not finished...

and the Fire imp, for some reason now is a bit wonky now..
now it may stick to walls edge walls for some time
and jump where it never jumped before
so they some times are less of a threat and sometimes more!

I have done a lot of tweaks and adjustments to the Player frames
and pretty much just have the Portrait pictures left to work on.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Actually, if I don't wanna use the golden key in your BM mod, I can make your thing easy, because I've made a patch for that.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

RE: that Maralyn Monroe sprite - if you're looking for an excuse to use it, you should replace the moon tiles with air vents and use it as the final frame of the mooning sequence replacement. It'd be a simple sprite replacement and logical - stand on the vent long enough and it will happen. But then there's the ethics questions about target audiences, character age and so on.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

szemi wrote:Actually, if I don't wanna use the golden key in your BM mod, I can make your thing easy, because I've made a patch for that.
It were a issue, that is now fixed
it had to do with the player sprite falling 1 pixel as it were turning to open the door

Although something the ability to cycle trough Grenades and Mines, would be neat.
as several times when you want to throw a grenade, you get reminded that you still have got some mines left.
or even have them thrown and deploy where they land, will increase the versatility of them (and thous maybe decrease the pack bundle to 5 or 4 from 10)

Actually how are These patch.exe, made?
as there are none for Bio Menace Episode 2 & 3
(or i could not find them...)
Keening_Product wrote:RE: that Maralyn Monroe sprite - if you're looking for an excuse to use it, you should replace the moon tiles with air vents and use it as the final frame of the mooning sequence replacement. It'd be a simple sprite replacement and logical - stand on the vent long enough and it will happen. But then there's the ethics questions about target audiences, character age and so on.
It wasn't a reference to that, wind blows just happens
and yes that is the frames they are an alternation to.

While the Maralyn Monroe were meant to be sexual and teasing, this on the other hand isn't
if it were then the skirt and shirt would had been lifted higher...
it is pretty innocent at least compared to the Original "Moon" frames.

The issue is that keen drops he's pants and moons to the player
as he's male that is pretty much only a rude remark (although i could be wrong)
But if kylie did the same thing, as she's female it can be a rude remark, but it also can be seen as a sexual tease...
and is the path i don't want to follow, if i did she would have been older....

I never really aim for target groups... i sort of just create things i want to create
or things i get inspired to do or tinker with, if people like it, that is great!!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If you tweak the intro text and it is too long it will start to run into the level names text, this may be what is causing your problem.

What game is being worked with here? Biomenace or Keen?
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Levellass wrote:If you tweak the intro text and it is too long it will start to run into the level names text, this may be what is causing your problem.

What game is being worked with here? Biomenace or Keen?
I was just not sure if it were part of the level names
or some part of an alternate intro left in the game.
fixed it right after it happened.
or at least i though so, i found out that kylie in Keen 4 was in a "Strange Message..." rather then "shadowlands" rofl XD

Both.
(aside keen Dreams, as i have not been able to mod that yet, aside extracting)
although I'm pretty much done with Bio Menace what can be modded of bio menace.
just not sure if i should create a new thread or have it within this thread as well
it's the structure i'm used to, but doesn't seem to be the Norm here...

And tinkering with the patch-code for Commander Keen
with a lot of trial and error for the intro text (basically lot of "string exceeds width") For Galaxy
The The "Neural Stunner" tool very stellar for tweaking any text in the Vorticon Episodes.
but sadly didn't help as much for Galaxy, so trail and error it was.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Keen Galaxy
So after alot of re-tweaking the text within Commander Keen episode 4
i suddenly the entering text for "Slug Village" for some odd reason don't show, just a blank text-less window with the loading portrait.
It doesn't happen anywhere else, but even if i remove the patch-code for that level, it is still missing... i don't see any conflicts
anyone have a clue

Bio Menace
i have juggling with some alternate name ideas
Natalya Cobra of K.G.B.
Henriette Hugorm of P.E.T.
but finally decided on "Jessica Viper of C.I.A."
Any way; Here it is!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have a utility for Keen Galaxy doing the story text and level names, it's called StarText and keeps track of how much space you have. Pretty basic, but that's what it was coded in.

http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/Startext