Commander Kylie

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Zilem wrote:Keen Galaxy
So after alot of re-tweaking the text within Commander Keen episode 4
i suddenly the entering text for "Slug Village" for some odd reason don't show, just a blank text-less window with the loading portrait.
It doesn't happen anywhere else, but even if i remove the patch-code for that level, it is still missing... i don't see any conflicts
anyone have a clue
I don't know much about Galaxy modding, but two ideas:
-something else is corrupting that level's patching -- try disabling your patches for level 1 (Slug Village being level 2)
-have you checked the actual level data? Maybe you've made the level empty by accident or something?
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

KeenRush wrote:
Zilem wrote:Keen Galaxy
So after alot of re-tweaking the text within Commander Keen episode 4
i suddenly the entering text for "Slug Village" for some odd reason don't show, just a blank text-less window with the loading portrait.
It doesn't happen anywhere else, but even if i remove the patch-code for that level, it is still missing... i don't see any conflicts
anyone have a clue
I don't know much about Galaxy modding, but two ideas:
-something else is corrupting that level's patching -- try disabling your patches for level 1 (Slug Village being level 2)
-have you checked the actual level data? Maybe you've made the level empty by accident or something?
Yes i have checked every single level, including secret and inaccessible level-warp cheat
and it were only upon entering "Slug Village" level 2a in Keen 4
that any issue, there was no other issue.
and nothing for the levels and they are untouched as the level archive file(s) are untouched.

However i got it fixed.
i removed the line for "Border Village" (level 1) from the .pat
and then when entering level 2a the game crashed due to exceeded the text line length
and i fixed the issue and the other, and noticed what could might cause The entry text for level 1, made the text disappear. for level 2a
even though the entry text below are for: Hillville - and there was no issue there.
on the level entry text table, "Slug Village" is on line 2nd and "Border Village" on 5th
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Had some luck, with keen dreams a week ago or so.
where i actually got it launch up with custom sprite frames without halting, not sure what i did right though....
and, i have been working tweaking the frames, that i made a while ago.

and changing the status bar, to be more like the one in Galaxy

But, i have struggled getting TITLESCR.BMP packed into the KDREAMS.CMP Via KeenGraphs...
"The first line of LIST.TXT must contain the graphic name!"
and I have no idea how to get around this issue... (nor had luck finding any)

I have also been updating and tweaking the frames for Galaxy, and invasion of the Vorticons (and some fixes for vorticon...)
and will update the packages when i think I'm finished with them. (which hopefully won't be that long...)
also kinda wondering if i should change Kylie's shirt to red after all...

Since i feel it would be a bit odd to have a rather too late replay to a Christmas topic thread
szemi wrote:Nice picture, Zilem. :)
It is one of the portraits I made for Keen 5, i just though it fit the season ;p
and glad you liked it. ^^
Keening_Product wrote:"Commander Kylie, coming Christmas 2016"
A Christmas themed alternative, i think i can make something like that
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Curious. If issues keep plaguing you I can zip up a Keen Dreams with everything set up and you can compare to see.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Levellass wrote:Curious. If issues keep plaguing you I can zip up a Keen Dreams with everything set up and you can compare to see.
I got it working, with some help from szemi.

Turned out the issue i had, pretty much was down to the Keengraph creating list.txt with it lists incorrectly ordered: "F" "A" "B" "C" "D" "E"
rather then: "A" "B" "C" "D" "E" "F"
as when importing it wanted the 4th line to be the first...
I just didn't understand what it was trying to say: "The first line of LIST.TXT must contain the graphic name"
if it had said "graphic list" instead, i would had understood, but "graphic name" just threw me of the bridge (with the train) :crazy
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Blargh, I wonder if that's an old or current version? I changed a few things around and I'm not sure what got uploaded.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Levellass wrote:Blargh, I wonder if that's an old or current version? I changed a few things around and I'm not sure what got uploaded.
I think it's the Current - I don't think i have been around here long enough to have gotten hold of any older version...
sorry for the late response.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well I'm glad the bug was fixed, but this bodes poorly for it.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Over the last months i have done several (maybe more, i literally lost track) minor updates to Kylies sprite sheets,
to iron out the minor annoyances i had noticed

and Finished porting Kylie into the "Universe is Toast" mod series

Also Ported Kylie into Netkeen
and gave Lindsey her dress back

It may noy be Keen stuff, but alas. Happy Keen-day!
Nospike
Keen Minecrafter

Post by Nospike »

Happy Keen Day everyone :birthday May the next year of modding be as fruitful as this one.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Levellass wrote:Well I'm glad the bug was fixed, but this bodes poorly for it.
I found out more about the oddness i have been having with keengraphs ;P

This adjusted picture (Below) look look off-set, but look correct ingame, after being imported with Keengraph
Although it only happens picture; Titlescreen and Portraits, but not sprites.

However when opened in MS paint and just saved, then Imported it with keengraphs. and it will look exactly in-game as it do in the import folder, unlike before.
(so now it is broken off-set-broken in-game aswell XD )

The reason being is that I use a photoshop and not MS paint.
it's like somehow the photoshop add something to the file that keengraphs have an allergic reaction to.
which Modkeen don't.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS6, and have for a years, and other photoshops before that
i started with MS Paint, but that did not work well with multi-layer or multi-part textures.
and multiple file-windows and layers is something that feels like missing an arm to be without.
Now, i don't claim to know how it truly is to be missing an arm...
but i know how it is being an arm short for 4 weeks. as i broke my right hand a few years ago, and it had to be encased in hard plaster.
those 28 days was looong and so was the recovery, 2-handing a mouse as it had gained weight while i was unable to use it with my Right hand =p

TL;DR: Photoshop made nonsense, fixed by re-saving the image in MS Paint, before importing with Keengraph, with no oddness found in-game.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Adobe is adding a whole lot of metadata junk to your graphics. this might cause these inconvenience you were talking about.

probable solution for CS6:

1. open two files (in different tabs!):
a) the original bitmap
b) a blank file for your new creations

2. pencil as crazy and reduce/shrink all layers onto one single layer

3. copy and paste your output to the original file (which should be indexed)

4. save it. dang!

works for me.
out now (link) : Image
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote:Adobe is adding a whole lot of metadata junk to your graphics. this might cause these inconvenience you were talking about.

probable solution for CS6:

1. open two files (in different tabs!):
a) the original bitmap
b) a blank file for your new creations

2. pencil as crazy and reduce/shrink all layers onto one single layer

3. copy and paste your output to the original file (which should be indexed)

4. save it. dang!

works for me.
That Pretty much is the thing i'm am already doing ;p
Yet Keengraph have some allergic reaction (for non-sprites) regardless ;p

There seem to be an 6 byte size increase though, that MS Paint just scrape off, hmmm.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If you send me the modified bitmap (and original) that's causing issues I can look at debugging.
Zilem
Vortininja

Re: Commander Kylie

Post by Zilem »

Been a while since i posted something here...
even though i have been tinkering with things now and then.

Some of the things i have Been working with are a version of Kylie without the Helmet, but i was not that found of how it turned out so to reworked it, to have the Ribbon and ponytail be like the in the Portraits where she is not wearing a helmet (including my Avatar)
Image --> Image

And i have been having struggling getting Kylie ported into Szemigi's Keen 10 Mod
but that may very well just be my own fault, as i am not that experience when it comes to Coding... <.<
one of them being "Kylie" is 5 letters compared to a "Keen" which is 4, which have proven problematic before.
But these are some of the tweaks i have been tinkering with for Szemigi's Keen 10 Mod in additional to Kylie.
I Fixed the pipe lines coloring to be Red instead of red or yellow, as that didn't seem to conflict with the background titles
and the Cog wheel that didn't animate correctly (that was not intended right?)
also made the Zenuxian look less friendly
Image Image

Added a second pair of wheels for the factory Cart

altered "Friends" sprites on the world map

I have also tinkered with a Rework of the Vorticons used in Dr. Colossus's Marooned on Mars mod
to have them look less like they are wearing the Swat kat flight suit. and more alike the space suit in "invasion of the Vorticons"
Still have the rest of the frames to do, but what do you think?

and While Playing Nisaba's Buried in Oblivion Map Compilation
I saw The finger pointer in the Help menu was replaced by Keen sitting reading the book and looking up
but i think it was missing something, like pointing finger and looking to the right (as shown)
This is the Kylie Variant, as i also tweaked it for Keen