Atroxian Realm (Version 1.2 Released)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Interesting phenomenon:

Turning the bridge on at opportune times causes these guys to get stuck. They go back to normal once released though.
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Anyone manage to finish the game yet? How has it been going?
@Gridlock: where to post bugs? new thread, pm, here...
I suppose just post anything here. If you consider it enough of a spoiler, you can always pm me. It doesn't really matter to me.

Turning the bridge on at opportune times causes these guys to get stuck. They go back to normal once released though.
Yeah, this does happen sometimes. I suppose the lack of gravity when you toggle the bridge off is a little weird, but oh well.
In the meantime just looking at palythrough videos, utterly bedazzled but oh so very many issues I'd love to rant about.
I'm rather curious about this. Are you referring to fleex's playthrough videos (the only full playthrough I know of)? Because that was just the early access with plenty of level design issues that have hopefully been addressed.

I'll try to do an update in the near future with some bug fixes, though I may be a little slow in getting around to it due the large number of commitments I'm juggling with college.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Whelp, I wasn't just talking about that, I have a few nitpicks, but I'd have to get a good playing run setup, trying to get and explore everything to arrange them in good order. I have got to the ending sequence, but that's just messing around, not seriously *playing* the game.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

some minor bug reports:

i. in Krilewood Forest (Abiathar: Ancient Forest 1)
there is a little pole bug. it leads to nowhere but causes this enjoyable lil shaking.
spoiler! screenshot
spoiler! video.zip

ii. after a long way reaching this secret spot in Cargo Transit B (Abiathar: Cargo Transit A)
I suddenly discovered a minor typo. by the way, these switches were nerve-racking...
spoiler! SGA-screenshot

iii. same as #2 but this time in Cargo Transit A (Abiathar: Cargo Transit B)
spoiler! SGA-screenshot

iv. not sure what this is suppose to be (Abiathar: Atroxian Mines)
spoiler! screenshot
Last edited by Nisaba on Sat Jan 23, 2016 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

My goodness, the second ruins level is tough! It took me at least 40 tries to get from the last checkpoint to the exit.

Also, I have to say that I had extravagant amounts of fun doing the Security Layer and Port Atrox. I believe Port Atrox is the most well-designed Galaxy level in all of Keening - it was that fantastic. The music there was great too.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Nisaba wrote:i. in Krilewood Forest (Abiathar: Ancient Forest 1)
You have the .adeps file for that successful rendering?
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Just updating that I've started playing this for real, completing the BWB level, as well as the 3 levels from the second AR demo. Comparing from memory rather than visually / side-by-side, the most noticeable differences are probably the BWB level, the checkpoints and the presence of story texts (including the first time the "star wars"-like scrolling text sequence is shown). Oh, and yeah, the size of the "You didn't make it past..." dialog; I guess it was resized so somewhat longer texts would fit it.

While it may seem like I haven't spotted a lot of differences, this should show the basic idea behind source modding: It should still feel like you're playing (a mod of) an original Keen game.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:
Nisaba wrote:i. in Krilewood Forest (Abiathar: Ancient Forest 1)
You have the .adeps file for that successful rendering?
I assume this is a request for a how to? lets do this real quick.
  1. download the dev-files (which can be found here)
  2. update your abiathar to v2.8.0 manually or via client (available here)
  3. after doing so, please read these instructions with care (which are also included in the development files):
    Fleexy wrote:The following settings work for me:
    • Level Format: Carmack
    • EGA Layout: 3, 533, 1386, 1919, 3204
    • Tile Partitioning: 1386, 3204, 108
    • Level Files: maptemp.ckd, maphead.ckd
    • Graphics Files: EGAGRAPH.CKD, EGAHEAD.CKD, EGADICT.CKD
    • Tileinfo Source: Manage tileinfo as part of the map header
  4. alternatively just open the included ar.adeps file via abiathar
and tataa... it's easy as that
thanx to fleexy! nice job
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Congratulations for finally releasing this mod! I've been looking forward for the full release since the early days ;) I've always been a big fan of the music, especially the Atroxians' theme is really catchy.

This may be a matter of taste, but I find a lot of the level graphics messy and confusing. At worst it's difficult to distinguish background elements from the foreground/interactive elements. Hazards are not always obvious, and may require trial-and-error to find out. I think the problem might lie in both the colour scheme and the overabundance of 1-pixel-wide elements, e.g. the swamp vegetation. I don't know a better way to describe it. This is particularly prominent in the swamp-themed levels. Note that I've only played a couple of levels so far, up to Crystalline Caves, so I can't speak for the whole mod.

Speaking of Crystalline Caves, I like the theme and the use of transparent/porous tiles. I especially like how the hidden paths are indistinguishable from the rest of the walls :)

Also, why am I mentioned in the credits? I don't remember providing...well, anything really :oops
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

I like the way the swamp vegetation squidges together - it's like a swamp! I especially like being able to drop though hidden floors to get to secret areas mushed into the boggy landscape. I find the swamp artwork blending adds to the scene, rather than taking away from it.

I've not had enough time to get to non-swamp levels yet, so won't judge.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So, using the dev files I have found an Interesting Thing.

When I use Abiathar to look at level 30, 31 or 32 my computer screams at me. Literally. It slows down to a crawl and the speakers emit a high pitched sound.

Also, why does Abiathar say it exports bmp files when it really exports PNGs? That's really annoying.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Levellass wrote:When I use Abiathar to look at level 30, 31 or 32 my computer screams at me. Literally. It slows down to a crawl and the speakers emit a high pitched sound.

Also, why does Abiathar say it exports bmp files when it really exports PNGs? That's really annoying.
I don't know what's up with the slowdown; nothing unusual happens when I look at those levels other than the normal +100MB jump in memory usage since those levels are so huge. (The memory is freed if Abiathar detects that it's running low on address space.) About the image format, whoops, I thought the default format for .NET's Bitmap.Save was BMP, but it is evidently PNG. I'll fix that in the next update; I have a little list of things to address.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have some nice software on my computer that fiddles with images, it threw a fit when those appeared.

Also, 100MB? RAM doesn't grow on trees guy!

This is an inspiring mod. Spent some time on the BWB and picked up 99 lives. Some of these secret passages are a bum deal.
Hagel
Vortininja

Post by Hagel »

Wow, that is some amazing piece of work.

I did not expect atroxian realm ever to be finished but it is as keenish as it could be, and yet full of new stuff to discover (e.g. the spirits of the fallen aliens).

Great levels, great soundtrack, great graphics especially in those levels where a single color seems to be dominant.

Some decisions of level design were also really cool (e.g. no piece of candy to be found in levels where the Atroxians ravaged).

At first I was skeptical about the checkpoints but they fit nicely into the gameplay.

I like the references to metroid and I'am pretty sure the bird aliens were an hommage to the legendary Chozos. The keenish hidden itempassages were extended in a morphballelike metroidesque manier, which was great.

An overwhelming dark atmosphere of facing a militant alien race that was up to invasion and destruction could be found in the entire game and atroxus was hell of an adversary.

Unfortunately in a single playthrough my game crashed once (out of memory etc.) and in the catacombs I had to use godmode to pass a certain Axosis on the way to the green gem and I couldn´t find any way to get rid of it no matter what I did. (I don´t want to spoiler anybody).

All in all a game that amazed me as much as "Terror from outer Space" by Dr. Colossus and would be an worthy successor to the TUIT by Ceilick.

If you´re still into modding after 5 years of work I would be glad to see keen facing the new enemy mentioned in the outro and I am sure you and the community would produce an awesome "Commander Keen in Quantum Quagmire"(?).
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:Also, 100MB? RAM doesn't grow on trees guy!
interesting... what kind of machine are you using?