Marooned on Mars - Galaxy Mod

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Dr.Colossus wrote:I tried to patch this. I don't know if this is even possible to have a collision code for pushing Keen and to get temporary stunned when Keen jumps on it. But maybe when Keen uses his Pogo Stick.
I don't know. Levellass, what do you think?
The patch is simple enough, check for Keen, check to see if he's jumping or pogoing (As the Skypest does) and if so, stun. Otherwise push. There might be an issue fitting it into the space available, but the actual patch I can whip up in minutes.

I have also worked up a patch that checks for the four parts whenever you exit a level, winning the game. I am looking at the entry text bug now.

EDIT: Also, does your latest download lack the AUDIDICT.CK5 file? Your patchfile demands it.

EDIT 2: Also, do you intend to remove those stun stars on enemies? They wouldn't be in Keen 1.

EDIT 3: And Keen 1 style exits? Keen touches them, walks a bit and the level is won?

EDIT 3: And an items bit in the status box to show all four items like with keygems?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Levellass wrote:EDIT 2: Also, do you intend to remove those stun stars on enemies? They wouldn't be in Keen 1.
na... not so much for the yorpy yorps when stunned Image
only if dead there is a lack of stars. but I'm pretty happy with this solution.. in my opinion it fits more into the galaxy look and feel.
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
Suppawer
Vortininja

Post by Suppawer »

Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Nisaba wrote:...while talking about patches: what about adding some flamy sounds to the upper top Pogo-Shrine spot (and to all the other fireplace of course)?
besides that, I think a small tileinfo mistake has slipped in.
spoiler screenshot
I tried this and it worked. I made an invisible harmless enemy that just play that sound. But there were two cons. At first it was always async with the flames. Second, my mixed fire sounds were always awful it never sounded right. Therefore I let it.
Also bug fixed.
wiivn wrote:I wish the small domes were more useful this time. Like with more secrets with guns and points.
I also thought about that. But I wanted to keep the levels as close as possible to the original game.
Levellass wrote:The patch is simple enough, check for Keen, check to see if he's jumping or pogoing (As the Skypest does) and if so, stun. Otherwise push. There might be an issue fitting it into the space available, but the actual patch I can whip up in minutes.
I Didn't know this is possible. It would be a great improvement of this mod if you could patch this. (All of the shikadi mine's behaviours are still free.)
Levellass wrote:I have also worked up a patch that checks for the four parts whenever you exit a level, winning the game. I am looking at the entry text bug now.
Cool. Thanks.
Levellass wrote:EDIT: Also, does your latest download lack the AUDIDICT.CK5 file? Your patchfile demands it.
If you mean the AUDIODCT.CK5 file, no this file is in the download folder.
Levellass wrote:EDIT 2: Also, do you intend to remove those stun stars on enemies? They wouldn't be in Keen 1.
It was a big balance act to keep this mod as close as possible to the original game but it also should contain all the important galaxy features (bridges, switches, gems, platforms, ...). I think the stun stars are typical for the galaxy games and wouldn't affect the Keen1 feeling much. I also always liked the idea of stunning the enemies not killing them. Therefore I would keep them.
Levellass wrote:EDIT 3: And Keen 1 style exits? Keen touches them, walks a bit and the level is won?
If you mean the exit of the end of a level. No, I would keep this galaxy-style like.
Levellass wrote:EDIT 3: And an items bit in the status box to show all four items like with keygems?
This would be nice.
Note: The booze and the battery are just two sprites that vanishes when Keen touches them. The actual ship part is an invisible Vitalin-tile behind them.

Thanks for all the bug reports, suggestions and help. Also updated version:
MOMGalaxy1.1
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

hey doc,

please edit your opening post in this thread and insert the updated version over there. this might be easier to keep track of updates!

and... I found some tiny little things (most of them map tileinfos). not sure if worth noting. gonna write you a pm am on them.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Nisaba wrote:hey doc,

please edit your opening post in this thread and insert the updated version over there. this might be easier to keep track of updates!
Did this. But forgot to save the edit :o
Nisaba wrote:and... I found some tiny little things (most of them map tileinfos). not sure if worth noting. gonna write you a pm am on them.
Sure. Thanks.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A hey-hey, so CKPatch doesn't like automatic name entries for Levels 16 and 17. Ran the names through my Keen 5 name tool to generate proper level name patches for all the levels.

Also inserted the ending check patch (At the end of the aptchfile) 'cause I wanted a natural end to the game. (The patch checks to see if keen has completed the ship part levels, the Vitalin is not required. This should be synonymous with getting the ship parts and solve the problem of being able to die, get the part again and thus have more than your fair share of parts.) The updated patchfile is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3940020/5NAMES.zip

Making a statusbox part thing would require the four parts levels to be consecutive (Say levels 3,4,5 and 6 or whatever.) Dunno if you want to go to the trouble of rearranging 'em.

Will work on the Yorp patch once I get a few other requests out of the way.

Also dude, clean up your folders before you zip 'em, all the ~k5 files and junk, messy messy!

And now, buggy things I have noticed:

This circled tile seems out of place:

Teleporters did this to the map, suggesting they were trying to load an uncached tile. Is this sprite based teleport action?

Tileinfo error.

This guy gets stuck here and cannot move:

I clipped into here somehow, I think through that floor tile that's not tileinfo'd properly. Is that a deliberate part of this secret or something? I couldn't get out.

Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Thanks for bug extermination and the ending patch. You found a clever way to win this game.
Levellass wrote:Making a statusbox part thing would require the four parts levels to be consecutive (Say levels 3,4,5 and 6 or whatever.) Dunno if you want to go to the trouble of rearranging 'em.
The images would be nice but are not really necessary for the gameplay. So I think I'll leave it as it is.

The tile bugs are fixed and the Garg has another position.

The teleporter is the original map teleporter from Keen5. I placed the tiles in the upper left corner of the map beside the elevator tiles.

Btw update: MOMGalaxy1.2
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Oh god, this is so impressive. Thanks for that piece of art, I tried the first map and memories came up again from the early 90's when I was a child. Loving this :)
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

This is Pretty amazing!!
It isn't just Keen episode 1 in the galaxy engine, it is also merged with the gameplay from Keen Galaxy as well
Rod climbing, ledge graphing, Moving platforms and toggle-able bridges and all that good stuff. ^.^
oddly the Gems have not replaced by key cards ;p

Kind of feels like time-traveling, better not do anything we didn't do in the past
graps onto a ledge, "time and space continuum Disrupted" oh noes! o.0

I also like the use of the Good tracks from Corridor 7
(which is one of the best thing in that game, if not the best....)

Also, i found some Bugs:
Which causes the Game to Freeze, when a "Tank robot" lazer shot hits a "Butler Robot"

And noticed that keen's idle frames don't have the episode 1 Ray gun, but rather still had the original neural stunner
also the pickup frame for the ray gun is still the Neural stunner
I'll PM you the (tweaked) files.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As a sidenote, you didn't have the Gaaaarg! statue reply?
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Zilem wrote:Also, i found some Bugs:
Which causes the Game to Freeze, when a "Tank robot" lazer shot hits a "Butler Robot"
fixed. Btw: Did you implement Commander Kylie? Cool idea :)
Zilem wrote:And noticed that keen's idle frames don't have the episode 1 Ray gun, but rather still had the original neural stunner
Thank you very much. Your changes will be in the next update.
Levellass wrote:As a sidenote, you didn't have the Gaaaarg! statue reply?
No, I was out of fuse massages :(
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

You can't patch in some more fuse messages?

Also, might want to fiddle with the block's foreground, it looks odd when Keen walks on it, he should be in front of it:

Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Dr.Colossus wrote:
Zilem wrote:Also, i found some Bugs:
fixed. Btw: Did you implement Commander Kylie? Cool idea :)
Yeah, it is something i do for mods that i really enjoy, kind of my way of showing appreciation ~.^
Dr.Colossus wrote:
Zilem wrote:And noticed that keen's idle frames don't have the episode 1 Ray gun, but rather still had the original neural stunner
Thank you very much. Your changes will be in the next update.
Your most welcome Doktor! ^.^
Dr.Colossus wrote:
Levellass wrote:As a sidenote, you didn't have the Gaaaarg! statue reply?
No, I was out of fuse massages :(
I'm kind of wondering, if hiding a Garg off screen on level with the garg statue, could work as a work around?
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

glitch report:
returned from Ice City to the map an slipped through them walls.

Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:11, edited 1 time in total.