Keen in Onward: Silcar

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Ah yes, thanks a ton. Apparently, just typing "Silcar2" in the command line ran that OTHER thing called Silcar2, and I had to type the full "Silcar2.bat" :o
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It is 0:01 Here it on my clock now so it's technically Keenday:

So here it is:

Silcar 4. My first Keenday release. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jtztnyjlte3
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Woo!

Just started playing this. I like how the lights start off in each level - it gives me an initial task each level that's pretty high on my priority list. :D
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Awesome, trying this out now :)
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Somehow i knew tulip would post this on keen day! :)

Loved Silcar 3, so this is a must-have
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm glad you like it.
shikadi has already pointed out some technical difficulties. Let me know if have some problems as well. And I must warn you that the Tileset is a lot more difficult to handle in this mod.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Now also available on bipship.com

http://www.bipship.com/mods/author/Tulip
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Wow, another new mod. Have to try this one later. :dopekeen Edit: Screenz pleez. 8)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I started playing a bit, my response so far is that its hard :bloody Graphics are well done, reminds me a lot of Norp 3, but still being unique in its own way. I especially like the munching of those yellow worms.

I actually thought this was a Keen3 mod until I jumped on the bone tank :crazy Yeah, not sure why I thought that...

The lights off to start with was interesting and took some getting used to. After awhile, it became apparent to me that i needed to strategize to get the light on in a level before doing anything else. An intro level with the "find the lightswitch" theme might be a good idea.

Will comment further when I get the chance to play more.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Okay, so I finally beat it, on easy mode, and I have to say it was incredibly hard. I don't even want to think about what hard mode is like.

Nice job graphically, the levels did have a lot of good challenges, but they were made way to hard by what felt like overkill. Often there was just like one tile of fire conveniently placed to kill me, or something of that nature. I think you should design future levels with the idea that the player is going to be making a lot more errors than you expect. Other than that though, great mod, and looking forward to silcar 5 :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

It's interesting that my mod is found to be so hard. I had a feeling when I created it that it was a lot less hard than Silcar 2 or 3.
Maybe it's just that my keening skills went up a notch over the last year. I tried to play Episode Smile again yesterday, and found I was able to complete the first 8 levels without too much trouble...

Don't be afraid of Normal and Hard, it basically only changes the behaviour of the Bact (and changes it to BactNinja on hard), and you gain a bit less shots, but no more hazards.

I'll possibly make Silcar 5 easier, simply because it'll be Keen5 and I'm not that good at playing Galaxy.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I'm playing it on normal mode and I really don't think it's as hard as ceilick says. Actually, it's about as difficult as the first three Keen episodes, which were bloody hard to begin with, but average by Nintendo standards :bloody

The enemies are easy enough to deal with, but the stupid horns all over the place is what keeps getting me. One time I experienced a strange anomaly where I jumped on a purple bird and it instantly turned into a skeleton truck o_0 What in blazes? :confused
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

It is possible (probable) that my keen 1-3 skills have gotten REALLY bad lately :dopekeen
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:I'm playing it on normal mode and I really don't think it's as hard as ceilick says. Actually, it's about as difficult as the first three Keen episodes, which were bloody hard to begin with, but average by Nintendo standards :bloody.........
I guess it all depends on each individual player's skill. If some of the more advanced players are finding this mod hard, then as a moderate player, I will probably find it difficult as well.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

One time I experienced a strange anomaly where I jumped on a purple bird and it instantly turned into a skeleton truck o_0 What in blazes? Confused
That is possible, because I took the stomping ability from the yorp and moved it to the tank bot, seems that one time that didn't work...