Keen 1, 2, 3 Bug Fix Versions

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Keen 1, 2, 3 Bug Fix Versions

Post by Mondae Sundae »

After much work, I am releasing bug fix versions of all 3 Invasion of the Vorticons games.

Keen 1:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/quqaumc5k ... BugFix.zip

Keen 2:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qtx417gpo ... BugFix.zip

Keen 3:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5e0era6bz ... gFixV5.zip

--- Summary of Changes ---
NOTE: Screenshots and detailed list of changes are included in the Zip files.

Keen 1:
-Level 14: Made inaccessible points accessible.
-Level 15: Made it so that the Green and Yellow Keycards are not useless.
-Level 16: Made it so that it is impossible to leave the level without collecting the Everclear.
-Jump Through Roof issue is now fixed.

Keen 2:
-Level 13: Added a Blue Door and Keycard so that it is impossible to beat the level without saving the city.
NOTE: It is still possible with cheating, but in that case...
-Level 14: Made it so that it is impossible for scrubs to push Keen through the security doors.
-Level 15: Minor tile fixes.
-Level 16: Made it so that the Red Keycard is not useless.
-World Map: Switched two levels so that they are now where they should be on the world map.

Keen 3:
-Every level (except 2, 11, and 16) has been modified in some way.
-World Map: The secret level is now displayed as a mountain because I think that represents the level better.
NOTE: Just don't copy 'Level80.ck3' if you don't want this change.
-Blue Aura around Blue Keycard in Status Menu is now fixed.
-Spelling error on an originally unused tile is now fixed.
-Points issue is now fixed through a patchfile.
NOTE: I forgot to add this to Version 3 of the fix.

Alternate Level Versions:
Keen 2
-More difficult versions of Level 16 are included (I would have made this the main version, except that Level 16 is a mandatory level required to beat the game).

Keen 3
-Easier versions of Level 4 and Level 9 are included (the more difficult versions are used as the main versions because both of these levels are optional).
-An Easier version of Level 15 is included (the more difficult version is used as the main version because now the level feels like a level, and it feels fully polished).

FINAL NOTE:
Every level has been thoroughly tested, and is confirmed to still be beatable. I have beaten all modified levels (except the Caves of Oblivion and Cape Canavorta) with all items obtained.
Last edited by Mondae Sundae on Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:49, edited 11 times in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Funny thing, I actually helped someone on a bugfix series, that never got released.

You'll also want to fix the keycard bug in the status screen, Keen flying through ceilings with pogo.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Awesome! The patch file doesn't seem to be included in the zip, though.

One suggestion (assuming I understand what the patch file does): instead of switching the point labels in the Help text, switch the actual point values of the candy bar and hamburger as they were mixed up during development.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Post by Mondae Sundae »

Correction: The patchfile DOES switch the points so that the Candybar gives 100 points and the Burger gives 500 points.

I've had the patch in place since forever-ago but never labeled it. As a result, I forgot what it was supposed to do (had a vague recollection about some Keen 3 bug where item points and the help menu were mentioned).

I'll take a look at the Blue Keycard in Status Screen. It's probably just a tile-pointer issue (I hope).

As for the jump-through-the-roof bug, I have no clue how to fix that. Since it's difficult to actually pull off even with God Mode on, I may just leave that one as is.

NOTE: I've added the patchfile to the zip (pending upload). I'll upload the new version sometime tomorrow or Monday (possibly with the Blue Keycard bugfix thrown in if I can figure it out).
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Post by Mondae Sundae »

I've uploaded the Zip with the patchfile this time.

I looked into the Blue Keycard issue. It's an issue in with the tile itself. I fixed the tile, but after importing back into the game, the pallet was completely messed up.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

What did you use to edit the tile?
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Post by Mondae Sundae »

I used MS Paint for editing.

My exact procedure was as follows:

1. Export graphics with Keengraph using the basic command:
keengraph.exe -export -episode=3 -bmpdir='GRAPHICS'

2. Open the tileset file using MS Paint (This might be my problem here).

3. Edit the tile by making the surrounding sky-blue background white.

4. Save the changes to the file.

5. Import the graphics with Keengraph using the basic command:
keengraph.exe -import -episode=3 -bmpdir='GRAPHICS'

ISSUE: Color profile is messed up.

I've considered creating a patch file that includes the correct color profile and then have Keengraph read the profile from the patch. I haven't gotten around to trying this yet, though.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Are you using the Windows 95/98/XP version of Paint, or something newer (7, 8, 10, etc.)?

Because you have to use the old version if you want the colors to work right.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

keenmaster486 wrote:Are you using the Windows 95/98/XP version of Paint, or something newer (7, 8, 10, etc.)?

Because you have to use the old version if you want the colors to work right.
therefor you have two options:
  1. use this version of paint: link
  2. or change your paint RGB color codes. The color White is by default
    • R=255
    • G=255
    • B=255
    but it needs to be:
    • R=252
    • G=252
    • B=252
Happy modding!
out now (link) : Image
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Post by Mondae Sundae »

Hmm... That's quite interesting. I guess that means that Keengraph was designed around the restrictions of XP Paint?

Anyway, I'll try out one of these excellent suggestion sometime later this week (probably the weekend at this rate).
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I always thought it was just an inherent restriction due to the EGA palette being different from VGA.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Post by Mondae Sundae »

In all likelihood, Keengraph is converting the EGA graphics into BMP files. This would mean that Keengraph is acting as an interpreter. The observed issue implies that the BMP file format has changed slightly between XP and 7. Since Keengraph only knows of the XP BMP language, it can't interpret correctly in the case of 7 BMP.

Anyway, the Blue Keycard issue is now fixed! A new version of the Zip has been uploaded. It's a simple copy and paste. The only thing that needs the patchfile is the points issue fix.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Keengraph expects the program that edits graphics not to alter the palette in an way. The palette it creates is quite simple, 16 masked colors and 16 transparent colors (For masked graphics) created by combining the RGBI planes of EGA. (Thus color 0 is black, color 1 is dark blue, color 8 is light black, color 9 light blue.)

However many programs are fond of meddling going 'Let's organize this palette by how often a color is used!' and other such things. I don't know why, but it may be that palettes now are 'buried' and can be messed about without users having to care.

Early on I faced a choice, to allow non-default colors (Which is possible if you link a palette patch in export) or to try and identify colors in BMP files. The second approach is tricky because as it turns out programs are also fond of altering the colors you use a bit. (This FF FF FF which should really be FC FC FC!) The same issue went with using PNG and GIF as file formats, it'd be a bit more sleek, but the compelxity involved...

In the end I can't see why everyone has to mess palettes around! I don't know how Modkeen does it. (Or if it even does.)

Finally, the ceiling bug is due to Keen's pogo hitbox height, this is easy enough to modify to render the bug impossible.
Mondae Sundae
Grunt

Post by Mondae Sundae »

OK. That makes a lot more sense. Some programs change the pallet slightly when saving the image.

I've thoroughly looked into the "shoot through the roof" issue. As you said, the hitbox for pogoing Keen is 1 pixel taller than the hitbox for normal Keen (I'm assuming that the reddish box beside the sprite is the hitbox).

I'll reduce the hitbox of pogoing Keen by 1 pixel and see what happens.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

That's correct, it shouldn't have any negative effects.