Buried in Oblivion

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: Buried in Oblivion

Post by DarkAle »

Ah another mod to add to my list of the mods that I must absolutely play
Ruin of Roib
Buried in Oblivion
The Alphamatic( I'm waiting Gridlock releases version 2)
Underworld Ultimate
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I think you might need to do another update. In the Pyramid of Poles you can bypass the entire level. Where you get the yellow key you changed where the nearby door takes you. In Gridlock's original design going through that door dropped you down to the bottom of the level. Instead you added an additional door that takes you to the door that leads you outside the pyramid to the second exit blocked by the yellow gem door. You can also reach the original exit from here. So because you added in the new door it is now possible to reach both exits and bypass almost the entire level.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

thanks for the report.
although I have to admit that I must have missed the essential point. so, how do you manage to collect the yellow gem without doing nearly 90% of the level? there must be a trick that I've seem to overlook. and how can one reach the original exit from outside the pyramid? if you point me towards the loophole I'll be more than happy to fix this for the next update.
out now (link) : Image
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:50 thanks for the report.
although I have to admit that I must have missed the essential point. so, how do you manage to collect the yellow gem without doing nearly 90% of the level? there must be a trick that I've seem to overlook. and how can one reach the original exit from outside the pyramid? if you point me towards the loophole I'll be more than happy to fix this for the next update.
At the very beginning of the level go down the pole. You will see two dart guns. There is a secret area above the two dart guns with two rayguns in there. If you do a very light tap jump and do it right you will fall down through the secret area where the yellow gem is, collect it, go through the door, now you are at the top of the level next to the door that takes you outside the pyramid where the second exit is blocked by the yellow gem door. Once you go through the door below the yellow gem you can reach both exits very easily. In Gridlock's original design instead of a second exit this yellow gem door blocked the inchworms. Opening the door allowed the worms to combine into the Foot.

Granted, this very light tap jump is hard to do, but that was how it was intended in Gridlock's original design.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Are you saying that you've managed to make that jump? I mean, there are two deadly dart faces down there, right?! I tested it dozens of times and wasn't able to land it. I'd say kudos to those who are able to pixel perfect jump this tight spot. If your skill level is that high I think that you've earned to skip the rest of that level. and please don't tell me that this is an easy jump for you, is it?! if so, I have to activate the dart guns...

Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Oct 16, 2020 16:25, edited 1 time in total.
out now (link) : Image
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

I've said it before, but I still consider these levels pretty awful. I made these in middle school back when my ambition exceeded my design skill. I found it a little strange to see them even included in this pack.

I don't even remember the context very well of this specific situation. I don't remember if they were maybe supposed to take advantage of door invincibility, or just certain tile properties that allowed sideways jumps through tiles. I wouldn't read into it too much; it was probably just a bad design.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 22:08 Are you saying that you've managed to make that jump? I mean, there are two deadly dart faces down there, right?! I tested it dozens of times and wasn't able to land it. I'd say kudos to those who are able to pixel perfect jump this tight spot. If your skill level is that high I think that you've earned to skip the rest of that level. and please don't tell me that this is an easy jump for you, is it?! if so, I have to activate the dart guns...

Afterall I did say it was hard and yes, it takes me several tries to land it but yes, it can be done. I suppose you could activate the dart guns on either of the skill levels. It would just make it harder, but still not impossible.
Gridlock wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 15:18 I've said it before, but I still consider these levels pretty awful. I made these in middle school back when my ambition exceeded my design skill. I found it a little strange to see them even included in this pack.

I don't even remember the context very well of this specific situation. I don't remember if they were maybe supposed to take advantage of door invincibility, or just certain tile properties that allowed sideways jumps through tiles. I wouldn't read into it too much; it was probably just a bad design.
Since most Keeners probably haven't seen that trick before they probably would think it is a glitch or bad design. I thought so at first when it happened to me accidentally in another mod. But at that specific spot in your original level design taking advantage of this tap jump is the only way to get the yellow gem, otherwise it is impossible. Since you took advantage of several never thought of before tricks in these early levels, I would assume this was the intention.

Maybe in the overall scheme of things your Keen4 level pack is awful, but I've also said before I saw a lot of promise and potential in these levels. Obviously you must of as well because several ideas you had were used again more effectively in later levels, Level 5 Emerald Canyon in Atroxian Realm is a perfect example.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Now in the Commander Genius Store with some Lua patches and more characters to choose:

https://youtu.be/BUo-P0CjQa4
Having fun developing stuff...