Buried in Oblivion

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Zilem
Vortininja

Re: Buried in Oblivion

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:37 @Zilem:
I like the idea that Keen is pointing at the menu. but your modifications doesn't seem to fit quite right yet. looks a bit like the hand is coming out of Keens shoulder. could you please give this another shot? I'm gonna implement it in the next update then.
Eh?, now that you mention it. i can't unsee that there is something wrong with the sleeve and arm...
I think it might be a case of Italian sleeve... lemme try and fix that...
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

all right everybody, if you haven't already you don't wan't to miss Hairmonster's very entertaining playthrough of Buried in Oblivion and his infinite love for the skypests! He's doing a great job, so check out his playlist over here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TggsFGgzSb

if you've followed this you might also be interested to see this mod as it was in development. Fleexy recorded an early testing which helped me a lot developing the game and my own modding skills as well. while watching this playlist you will come across some interesting bugs and glitches, confusing level designs, patching errors and game freezes. These videos are entertaining and educational as well. One video per day will be released so stay tuned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkjxiPMBm84
Last edited by Nisaba on Wed May 09, 2018 13:25, edited 2 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 all right everybody, if you haven't already you don't wan't to miss Hairmonster's very entertaining playthrough of Buried in Oblivion and his infinite love for the skypests! He's doing a great job, so check out his playlist over here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TggsFGgzSb
I have, i think the best moment is he's epic panicked escape from a skypest in the Gallery of fame map XD

Nisaba wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 Image
Oh!, That is a glitch i remember seeing back in the day, although rare in Keen, but rather common in Bio Menace...
pressing F1 followed by Esc, resolved that in that moment, but it could occur again if you moved. <.<
and it have only been those 2 games, on that óne win95 PC, that i have seen the issue happen on.

It will be interesting to hear if Fleexy have any insight on this!
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

EDIT: Sorry for double posting, but I forgot to add Lingyan203's playthrough. so for the sake of consistency here's the full list:

all right everybody, if you haven't already you don't wan't to miss Hairmonster's very entertaining playthrough of Buried in Oblivion and his infinite love for the skypests! He's doing a great job, so check out his playlist over here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TggsFGgzSb

if you've followed this you might also be interested to see this mod as it was in development. Fleexy recorded an early testing which helped me a lot developing the game and my own modding skills as well. while watching this playlist you will come across some interesting bugs and glitches, confusing level designs, patching errors and game freezes. These videos are entertaining and educational as well. One video per day will be released so stay tuned:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... cWsaFHBxyi

And of course there is a playthrough of this Levelpack recorded by our Canadian friend Lingyan203. Most of you should be familiar with his Keen mod video recordings. So check these as well:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... q_cYRih60G
Last edited by Nisaba on Wed May 09, 2018 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
The Shifted One
Grunt

Post by The Shifted One »

Oh wow, I never expected this level to show up anywhere anymore.
I pretty much forgot I ever made it as it was more of a TED5 tryout than an actual attempt at a level. :crazy

Nice work on the entire pack, it was fun to play trough (besides that one level with all the mines in that straight hallway... :dead2 )!
Existence is futile!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

The Shifted One wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 13:23 Oh wow, I never expected this level to show up anywhere anymore.
I pretty much forgot I ever made it as it was more of a TED5 tryout than an actual attempt at a level. :crazy

Nice work on the entire pack, it was fun to play trough (besides that one level with all the mines in that straight hallway... :dead2 )!
I'm glad you liked it.
besides the long hallway I really enjoyed your level design of this Unknown Pyramid. This level was actually one of the main reasons I decided to put together this very levelpack. I remember having a great time playing your level for the first time. I always wished for more, and eventually decided to do so myself.

you don't keep by any chance some unreleased level designs with you? cause currently I'm working on another project and could need some level design input...
check this thread over here: viewtopic.php?t=4027
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

I'm not sure if someone is intressted but I just started to play Buried in Oblivion, with my Commander Neon Skin Mod. :-) If someone want's to take a look on that, here is the link: https://youtu.be/ocXzVCZrz3c

I noticed some black areas in the worldmap but also leveldesign. Im not sure if that has to do with my modification or if it was a general bug at the time I downloaded this game?
A project for lifetime.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Hey, that's neat!
It's always good to see recorded playthroughs. Helps a lot evolving ones own abilities when it comes to level design and stuff. Plus even though so and so many people have downloaded the package I have no idea whether they enjoyed what they've got or not...
That being said, I'm looking forward to see a couple of your recordings! And hey, it's a mod of a mod of multiple mods... modception

Those Neon graphic issues might be caused by copying over the fore and background tilesets of your own mod. What you want to do instead is copying only those parts of your tilesets that are neon related into the same segment of the Oblivions tileset.
(You must know that I've tweaked my tilesets beforehand. They aren't the orig Keen 4 bitmaps anymore. Cause you have exchanged mine with yours might have led to issues like described above...)
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

The thing is that I made these changes a couple of weeks ago and to be honest I dont remember how exactly I changed the tilesets anymore. I will keep this detail in mind before I start a new project with Neon. For now I just hope that It wont get worse issues. I can create a second BPM folder and try to copy only the Neon related sprites to see if that works... Thanks for the advice and feedback! :)
A project for lifetime.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Yeah... unfortunately things will get worse. There are at least four levels which will be a total mess if you don't 'repair' some basic things. (For e.g. one of the first village levels will be more or less unplayable. Could be fun though)
But there is hope! :p with a few clicks you can fix things.

Let me put it this way:
You only have to tweak two Bitmaps in order to fix those black/blank tiles. Namely 4TLI0000.BMP and 4TLI0001.BMP.

What you wanna do is copy back over the two original Buried bitmaps. (In other words: overwrite the existing bitmaps in the BMP folder with the 4TLI0000.BMP , 4TLI0001.BMP files that came with the orig Buried download) Then open bitmap 4TLI0001.BMP in Gimp and edit once again the pistols from green into black. Save the file. Use modkeen to re-import the graphics like you have done before. That's it!!!

If this should be to complicated, just send me your Neon files and I'll see what I can do.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Advertisement

Commander Neons helmet
sponsored by Monster Energy.

Now on sale:

Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Mar 19, 2018 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Well THAT helmet is nice! Too bad that I already got one some weeks ago for my mountainbike... -.-*

I will try to fix these two bitmaps! Did I really use the CK4 bitmaps for that instead of only changeing the amo colors? (I don't remember anymore!) :/ But hey, at least now I know what to avoid next time!
A project for lifetime.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Dear Community,

Buried in Oblivion v.1.1 is out now: http://www.shikadi.net/wiki/files/Packs ... -04-04.zip

Log:
  • general level design overhaul
  • Keen starts with 3 lives
  • removed alternative exits (Oracle Member vs. Exit)
  • reduced backtracking in a certain level
  • more balanced enemy placement
  • adjusted environment graphics
  • additional graphics
  • precaution to prevent a possible Bounder-Pole-Door-Glitch
  • bug fixes (unreachable secrets)
  • revised grammar
Special thanks to Zilem, Fleex, X-Rack and Lingyan203 for contributions, suggestions and feedback.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I just realized that the previous version begins with 0 lives :O

The saves works from the previous version, which is good.
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Nisaba wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 14:44
Special thanks to Zilem, Fleex, X-Rack and Lingyan203 for contributions, suggestions and feedback.
Just give me more of these mods! :)
A project for lifetime.