Space Evaders

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Space Evaders

Post by Levellass »

Happy Keen day everyone from the country that sees it first! This year a little something for everyone built in a 24-hour period last Saturday. There's an annoying movement bug, but otherwise it came out quite well. A space-invaders style Keen 4 mod. It features:

* 99 levels (All the same setup, but differing backgrounds)
* The smallest EGAGRAPH of any Keen 4 mod
* The most compressed levels, a special modification of Abithar being used to squash 67Kb of level into 10Kb of file.
* The most cheats, using a new setup I've put in several mod projects (All unreleased for now, but coming soon...)
* Patching madness

Get it here and give it a whirl: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3940020/KEENEV.zip Games are short, but I find it entertaining enough. Hard mode can be a real sod. Enjoy!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Re: Space Evaders

Post by troublesomekeen »

Happy Keen Day! Happy 5001st post! Happy gaming!
This is neat. On to Hard mode!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Happy Keen Day! I gave it a couple tries (one on Normal, and the other on Hard), and I thought it was quite fun. :D I'm impressed by how you managed to change a platformer game into a simple shooter game and the fact that it was made in under 24 hours. The cheats were really fun to play around with.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Suburb Shenanigans! Keen day came early!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

reminds of me of Invasion of the Space bats of Doom.
and that ending!, i though dosbox was going to crash XD
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Hahahaha this is great!!

I love the ending :lol
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

After a brief suggestion I have amended the patchfile so that the ending is not so sudden. (All the enemies will be destroyed before the ending plays.)

Did anyone notice all the awesome backgrounds I made? In theory you'll need to play more than a dozen games before you see the same one twice. (Same one, same color that is.)
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I've always thought Keen was playing Paddle War on his Computer Wrist when returning from his latest adventures. I wasn't aware that he was involved in such a space combat. what a star wars.

yikes! F10+Q

I played all levels. ALL of them. all 99!
it's a whole lot of fun messing around with the cheat codes. these aren't just an extra but a vital part of the gameplay.
but I can't manage to extract all the goodies yet. again some heavy patching I assume.
chapeau!
out now (link) : Image
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Pretty sure I saw the same background with a diagonal teardrop galaxy several times out of a bit more than several... maybe there are subtle colour changes I didn't notice?

Is there meant to a whole ship visible at the bottom or be just a white crescenty thing with a blue semicircle? Seems like a small BWB could have fit down there pretty easily but patching limitations are also a likely scenario.

Anyway, pretty neat. I like the cascading insectsplosions when one gets shot while close to a group of others. I don't like the typos but I'll deal with it I guess. The ending was sufficiently amusing.

A Keen shoot-em-up was always quite an appealing concept to me. I can't help but wonder what this could be turned into in the future, whether by one of us or a future generation of post-human Keeners.

Also, go here to play it within a web browser: http://jimage.org/keen/playmod/keenev.html
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Looks neat, even though i'm not the biggest fan of these kinds of games. I can't even imagine what was patched and how to make something like this.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Suppawer
Vortininja

Post by Suppawer »

I like it!!!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Interesting idea! I haven't had time to play it yet, but I certainly will; it looks neat! I am curious: what exactly did you do to get the levels so small? Just eyeballing the GAMEMAPS file contents, it looks unlike any other maps file I've ever seen.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Fleexy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 19:27 I am curious: what exactly did you do to get the levels so small? Just eyeballing the GAMEMAPS file contents, it looks unlike any other maps file I've ever seen.
The levels have a lot of repetition in their structure, that is they all play identically, only the backgrounds really change. Because of this I built a program that eliminates duplicate planes from a GAMEMAPS file. As such the map file contains 1 sprite plane, 9 foreground images and 9 background tints.
Commander Spleen wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:39 Pretty sure I saw the same background with a diagonal teardrop galaxy several times out of a bit more than several... maybe there are subtle colour changes I didn't notice?

Is there meant to a whole ship visible at the bottom or be just a white crescenty thing with a blue semicircle? Seems like a small BWB could have fit down there pretty easily but patching limitations are also a likely scenario.

Anyway, pretty neat. I like the cascading insectsplosions when one gets shot while close to a group of others. I don't like the typos but I'll deal with it I guess. The ending was sufficiently amusing.
Backgrounds are reused with different color tints. I was going for 99 different backgrounds but ran out of time. This is also the reason for the typos and the fact that only the nose of Keen's ship is visible. Given 48 hours things might have been different.

Nisaba wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:32 yikes! F10+Q

I played all levels. ALL of them. all 99!
it's a whole lot of fun messing around with the cheat codes. these aren't just an extra but a vital part of the gameplay.
but I can't manage to extract all the goodies yet. again some heavy patching I assume.
chapeau!
I like my cheat selection, I rebuilt the entire cheat code just for laughs.

The patching is actually rather simple, involving Keen and the Dart guns. I could actually lead you through it in about 10 minutes.