Keendroid Undergound (Minimod)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Keendroid Undergound (Minimod)

Post by Commander Spleen »

Keendroid Underground is a sequel to my previous Keendroid minimod, this time featuring 8+ levels and a lot of psychedelic flashy things.

I think this was started sometime late last year and was in a mostly finished state for a few months with a bunch of minor details to be polished, the last of which I've finally completed today. So, enjorb...

Download: Dropbox - jimage.org

Play in browser

Image Image

Image Image
Last edited by Commander Spleen on Fri Mar 24, 2017 0:25, edited 4 times in total.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Re: Keendroid Undergound (Minimod)

Post by MoffD »

Hey Spleen! Looks great!

Just wanted to mention that the embedded js dosbox is glitching for me, not sure what's causing it, but if it's only on my end I'll try to find some relevant info.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

**~~
[ REPLY MISSING ]
*~~

The Yorp Room should be an IRL bar.

On the second level (not the yellow hill one, I think it was grey) I managed to get stuck at the bottom of the area with the lollypops. I was playing using the browser version where Alt doesn't work, but I hit F1 and it doesn't seem to be included at all. Are you supposed to be able to get stuck?

This is neat. Looking forward to playing it locally.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

I actually found that at the last minute and fixed it. Mustn't have updated properly in the online copy. I keening_product attempt to fix that.

[Edit] Updated browser and download copies with the Ono I Am Stuck platform (plus a tweak to get rid of those annoying jump gaps at the start of the first level.)
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

This turns out to be not that mini mod compared to the others. In fact it's the most completed one. The minimalism of the character and some graphics kinda reminds me of Secret Agent/Crystal Caves/Dangerous Dave. The blocky style backgrounds and blocks are awesome. Great color combinations and solid tiles. You've managed to make a unique feel. Really neat and by far the best of this year. I like that collecting stuff in the hard places is optional. Needs a bit more puzzles and a bit graphics variety in the late levels.
However, I have one complain. How come you put lollypops when you collect galaxies?
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I tried out a few levels in the mod, and I have enjoyed it. :) It's nice to see that you managed to finish another mod. I like the level design, graphics, and text (the part where it states that the Keendroid isn't "Gargproof" made me laugh :lol ). I'm planning on playing more of it.

EDIT: I managed to complete all of the levels (secret level included) today. The rest was just as good. ;) Also, is that a recolor of my fire tiles from The Morticore I saw in that one level?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

The Platforming level designs isn't my cup of tea, i however do like the Little droid
and found it rather fun jumping around while having it duck it's head
"it doesn't do anything"? it kind of does; it takes away your air control away forcing you to have faith in your jump ;d
Keening_Product wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 14:05 I was playing using the browser version where Alt doesn't work
"Alt" works if you set the game to run in full screen mode, as then the browser won't think you want to access the top panel XD
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

bouncing around the shadow lands in search of super important artifacts!
my favourite thing!

please tell me that this is more than just a mockup?!
it immediately made me grin. I need to know more about it.
but I guess I'll have to wait until christmas, which by the way is my favourite thing since 1992.
Last edited by Nisaba on Mon Oct 22, 2018 23:02, edited 2 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Probably the Christmas after Christmas.
But I wholeheartedly agree. Those round green trees makes my head spin.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

Zilem wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:47
Keening_Product wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2017 14:05 I was playing using the browser version where Alt doesn't work
"Alt" works if you set the game to run in full screen mode, as then the browser won't think you want to access the top panel XD
Oh cool, thank you for the advice! :)
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I still can't download it...
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Levellass wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 I still can't download it...
me either and cant play in online either
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Ah, I think Dropbox caught onto my dodgy activities and disabled the download link and the hotlinked em-dosbox script in my Public folder. I'll sort out a more permanent Thing.

Fixed the download link and mirrored it from my own site. The browser option now runs completely from my site as well instead of loading the main script file from Dropbox, so all should be good to go again.
Keening_Product wrote:I was playing using the browser version where Alt doesn't work
I'm used to Alt having no immediate effect until you hold it and press an actual associated menu letter. Think I read somewhere on Facebook that you are using Vivaldi, which does appear to bring up a menu on Alt-press and captures Alt-right as "Back". Still seems to interfere with Alt in full screen, so maybe reassigning the keys or using another browser for this purpose is the only way in that case. Chromium, Firefox and Opera have been fine for me so far. I'll start adding some notes to the page template for others who might encounter problems such as this.
Zilem wrote:The Platforming level designs isn't my cup of tea
Do you have any specific examples or was it just the general style? This kind of feedback is useful, as I was aiming to emphasise atmosphere and exploration rather than too much tricky platforming. At least in any compulsory sense, anyway. I tried to keep the more difficult stuff for optional bonus points.
Quillax wrote:Also, is that a recolor of my fire tiles from The Morticore I saw in that one level?
Indeed. I think it was a late addition to replace the light-background fire tile, which was only actually used in that one spot.
MoffD wrote:the embedded js dosbox is glitching for me
Did you work out what was going on here?
Roobar wrote:Needs a bit more puzzles and a bit graphics variety in the late levels.
Could possibly done with slightly shuffling the levels around so the later ones were actually a bit earlier. At one point the difficulty level started getting above the point I was aiming for and I started smoothing them out a bit more. As previously stated, i was aiming for a fairly atmospheric experience, sort of inspired by the dome levels in Keen 1, with just enough of a mazey challenge to keep things interesting. There are already plenty of difficult and unforgiving mods, so I wanted to make something a bit more cruisy. It is good to hear that I made things too easy in some places instead of too hard for once.
Roobar wrote:I have one complain. How come you put lollypops when you collect galaxies?
So someone would ask that question.
Nisaba wrote:please tell me that this is more than just a mockup?!
troublesomekeen wrote:Probably the Christmas after Christmas.
Another one-level mod that got out of hand. Getting back to work on this one imminently. Most of the levels are already finished, mainly contemplating and tweaking some final details and how to make the last one or two levels sufficiently sufficient. I could do with some beta testers to help polish the existing content. Showed it to a couple of people but didn't get much useful feedback so far.
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Commander Spleen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33
Zilem wrote:The Platforming level designs isn't my cup of tea
Do you have any specific examples or was it just the general style? This kind of feedback is useful, as I was aiming to emphasise atmosphere and exploration rather than too much tricky platforming. At least in any compulsory sense, anyway. I tried to keep the more difficult stuff for optional bonus points.
It's down to the Precision platforming, single-tile tight jumps or a labyrinth with tight corridors with south gravity.
It is also why i prefer Galaxy* over Vorticon invasion, even though i love the Vorticons.
I'm not saying it's a fault in the design, i'm not that hardcore of a platformer.
but that doesn't say i can't still enjoy the sprite and tile art design ~.^

* also i love the ledge grabbing mechanic in Galaxy, and find it very absent in Keen dream.
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Commander Spleen wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33
MoffD wrote:the embedded js dosbox is glitching for me
Did you work out what was going on here?
Mmmnope, everything seems to load, but ckpatch has an error and starts spewing ascii into the console:
https://s13.postimg.org/rs86zoh1j/error.png
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.