Galaxy Defender. This time for real

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Galaxy Defender. This time for real

Post by Dr.Colossus »

I mixed up the download links. This is the real one-level Keen mod

https://www.dropbox.com/s/scfaxlk4gtg2a ... R.rar?dl=0
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Galaxy Defender. This time for real

Post by Roobar »

Wow! I missed the previous download and I don't know what it was, but this blows my mind! I didn't expected this. This is what I've actually been thinking about a long time ago: keen shmup levels within keen! I don't know how you made this, but this is seriously a cool achievement! You can even destroy ground buildings and such. Amazing stuff. It's a bit hard to control at the beginning, but not impossible to make it through. Even though the controls in your previous game maker attempt at shmups are better, I personally like this one more. Feels more keenish to me. The only thing is that it crashes when you select "options".
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

mmhhh... I can't help myself, but I have seen this before. you must have posted something related somewhere else, but I can't really remember...

nevertheless, this idea is delicious! Keen battles his way for a burger. yummy!
I was always looking for a way of an BWB adventure. This year we got two of them. Neat! I'd also love to see this modification as a Paddle War replacement. You know, a mini game within Terror From Outer Space. Or like a short intro / prequel kind of level.
that being said: your colour scheme is fabulous. as always, I adore your skills of finding a suiting way to give Keen Galaxy mods the right look and feel. fantastic!

btw. we both might have ripped the same source:
Last edited by Nisaba on Thu Jun 21, 2018 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
out now (link) : Image
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I gave this a shot, and wow. I'm just impressed by what I've seen. It was a bit difficult to control at first, but I got used to it after a few lost lives and a game over. When I came across the building at the end, I thought it was something to do with Mortimer McMire, although a food place is yummy too, and also funny. I'm interested in seeing what the complete version will be like.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Zilem
Vortininja

Post by Zilem »

Oh neat, the way you damage structures, reminds me of Raptor: Call of the Shadows
guess that is also the reason auto-fire is on XD

Ah, I see. that was why the BwB was a bit on the heavy side, you have to treat it like swimming.
oh wait!? i didn't know it could fly in reverse....
well, it kind of makes sense giving the vacuum cleaner

and i just had to give him a Cap! ;p
The Difference Between a Mod and Fan art?, a Fan art is a Concept and a Mod is that Concept put into life.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Zilem wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:32and i just had to give him a Cap! ;p
yauz, the basecap is dope! does suit the janitor quite well on his secret moonlighting. hope to see this in a future update as well! I for myself gonna implement it eminently.
out now (link) : Image
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

:lol the cap is pure gold. Saved and implemented. It will be defenetly in the next update.
I'm still trying to make the movements smoother.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oh come on! Leave the guardians of wisdom alone. All mods I've played are making fun of them. Something like this would be more suitable:

Last edited by Roobar on Wed Apr 11, 2018 20:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Wow, great concept! It definitely is a challenge to maneuver the ship, even when using the jump key to speed up. Its fun to cruise the level, but I'm wondering if anything else can be done to give the player more to do or control; I imagine the options are pretty limited with the engine. The graphics are beautifully done! I think the one thing missing at this stage is for ships destroyed to award points.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Aaah now this is what I dreamed of when doing my 24 hour project. Brilliant, just brilliant.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Roobar wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 19:43 Image
This is getting better and better. :lol
Ceilick wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:11 I think the one thing missing at this stage is for ships destroyed to award points.
I planned to do this, but I couldn't write a patch for that.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It's not too hard, you merely use the following code in the collision:

Code: Select all

$B8 $0BB8W  $50 $9A $06BD1EF2RL $83 $C4 $02

Where the first value is the number of points you want to give.
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Cool. But where do I put it in? In this case it works sometimes. And sometimes it crashes the game.

%patch $FE6A $55 $8B $EC $56 $57 $8B $76 $06 $8B $7E $08 $83 $3D $02 $75 $09    #Check for Keen (Type 2)
             $9A $0B8013E9RL     $5F $5E $5D $CB $83 $3D $03 $75 $0E            #If Keen, kill him; check for shot (Type 3)
             $B8 $2882W  $50 $57 $56 $9A $09DC1695RL                            #If shot, become $2882W
             $B8 $0BB8W  $50 $9A $06BD1EF2RL $83 $C4 $02                        #get points
             $83 $C4 $06 $5F $5E $5D $CB
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well your big problem there is you have inserted the code in the middle of another bit of code.

As I explained in my patching tutorial these segments of code have three parts. First a variable (Or more) is loaded, this is $B8 $Something $50. Secondly the code is called, this is $9A $Something-else and finally the variable(s) is UNloaded, this is $83 $C4 $Number of variables loadedx2.

You'll notice that you put the code in after code is called but BEFORE the loaded variables were unloaded. (In this case 3, $83 $C4 $06.) These leaves data that shouldn't be there 'in the loop' while the code executes, mucking stuff up. PLUS your jump (After the 'check for shot type', is $75 $0E, which skips the OLD code but not the NEW addition you made. The jump should be $0C bigger (0E + 0C = 1A) What you want is:

%patch $FE6A $55 $8B $EC $56 $57 $8B $76 $06 $8B $7E $08 $83 $3D $02 $75 $09    #Check for Keen (Type 2)
             $9A $0B8013E9RL     $5F $5E $5D $CB $83 $3D $03 $75 $1A            #If Keen, kill him; check for shot (Type 3)
             $B8 $2882W  $50 $57 $56 $9A $09DC1695RL     $83 $C4 $06            #If shot, become $2882W
             $B8 $0BB8W  $50 $9A $06BD1EF2RL     $83 $C4 $02 $5F $5E            #get points
             $5D $CB
Dr.Colossus
Vortininja

Post by Dr.Colossus »

Thanks. Now it works perfectly :)