"Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last - DEMO

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: "Forgotten Galaxy" -Rescue Of The Last - DEMO

Post by Nisaba »

welcome back

whew... this might be the most bizarr and confusing mod I've played in a while. :confused you have indeed a very headstrong way of playing with tiles and putting together a level. I made it to level three only to get lost between doors and keys. there are also numerous traps one can clip or glitch into, like this one over here:

Image . Image

I have the impression that this is more like a showcase kinda mod which explores the possibilities how one can combine certain features. it's quite interesting how you used keys with doors, and switches to even open or spawn doors in the first place. also the thievery Skypest is a neat touch. Plus the machine gun power shooting ability is dope.
Image . Image

so, yeah. as this is demo footage what are your bigger plans for this?

Image . Image
out now (link) : Image
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 17:30 welcome back

whew... this might be the most bizarr and confusing mod I've played in a while. :confused you have indeed a very headstrong way of playing with tiles and putting together a level. I made it to level three only to get lost between doors and keys.

so, yeah. as this is demo footage what are your bigger plans for this?

Hi thanks good to be back .. ( typical life gets very busy) was good leaving it for a while now I can see how confusing it can be , all keys there (i had to go into abiathar to find out where it was) if I can't find it easy enough after a while how can anyone else be expected too .. Same with doors i need to make levels less complicated and levels smaller .. Working on recolouring everything atm and need to and more stuff to tiles in place of all weld map stuff but that part is annoying cos you have to get the front and black part exactly in right place :dead2 i also need to work on my patch file quiet a few patches over right others :no :no then I can get back into level editing :helmet
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Some contructive criticism:

You should consider swapping the colors of the active and inactive digits of the score box. Dark blue digits on black background simply do not work.

You have changed some core mechanics of the game and you should at least explain them somewhere. At first, I thought the different jump heights when walking vs. standing were a bug (it wouldn't be the first time that a bug screws up the maximum jump height in a Keen game).

The new position of the score box is even more annoying that the original one. Since you've locked the camera to keep Keen in the right-ish part of the screen, you could just move the score box back to the top left corner, where it's as far away from Keen as it can be and doesn't obscure hazards that are extremely close to Keen.

Starting the game with 0 lives is a giant "fucl you" to the players in a game where every hit is an instant death. It would be okay to do this on the highest difficulty level, but not as the default. Also: why are there no difficulty options?

I have noticed in the patch file that you posted on keenmodding that you were using a "Fix choppy scrolling" patch. You shouldn't be using that particular patch. I wrote it to help somebody fix scrolling issues on a real DOS PC equipped with an EGA card. This is basically the code from the earliest pre-v1.0 Keen 4 Demo, patched into version 1.4, and it was never supposed to be used as a general fix. It definitely doesn't fix anything when playing in DOSBox. I haven't put the patch on the KeenWiki, somebody else (who didn't understand or care what the true purpose of this patch was) did that. Years later, I wrote a patch that works much better in DOSBox.

And last, I'm not sure what rules this community has regarding the distribution of fully-patched executables. In the past, (almost?) all mods came with a patch file and the CKxPATCH program for the base game. Since Keen 5 and 6 are not shareware, including the executables for those games is technically piracy. Keen 4 (on which your mod is based) is shareware, but the original shareware license by Apogee stated that you were only allowed to distribute unmodified copies of the game. Apogee/3D Realms no longer have the rights to distribute any of the Keen games, so they won't care anymore. But unless you can find a different shareware license for Keen 4, you would probably still have to respect the terms of the Apogee shareware release, otherwise you'd basically be back at piracy again. I have no idea how id/ZeniMax/Microsoft think about this.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 23:19 Some contructive criticism:
Thank you exactly what I want also cos I left it so long coming back i myself see so much in a different way and and contructive criticism: for myself
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 23:19
You should consider swapping the colors of the active and inactive digits of the score box. Dark blue digits on black background simply do not work.

You have changed some core mechanics of the game and you should at least explain them somewhere. At first, I thought the different jump heights when walking vs. standing were a bug (it wouldn't be the first time that a bug screws up the maximum jump height in a Keen game).

Yes I agree on colour and put something in read me about the jump and hoe door switchs and door vs key works also the Creatures changes .
Later i will add it to the help sec

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 23:19 ]

Starting the game with 0 lives is a giant "fucl you" to the players in a game where every hit is an instant death. It would be okay to do this on the highest difficulty level, but not as the default. Also: why are there no difficulty options?

I have noticed in the patch file that you posted on keenmodding that you were using a "Fix choppy scrolling" patch. You shouldn't be using that particular patch. I wrote it to help somebody fix scrolling issues on a real DOS PC equipped with an EGA card. This is basically the code from the earliest pre-v1.0 Keen 4 Demo, patched into version 1.4, and it was never supposed to be used as a general fix. It definitely doesn't fix anything when playing in DOSBox. I haven't put the patch on the KeenWiki, somebody else (who didn't understand or care what the true purpose of this patch was) did that. Years later, I wrote a patch that works much better in DOSBox.

I thought I fix the starting lives i thought I make it 3 easy fixed tho and no difficulty cos demo and haven't added different things in for othe difficulty yet ..ok thank you for patch update ill change that patch

And last, I'm not sure what rules this community has regarding the distribution of fully-patched executables. In the past, (almost?) all mods came with a patch file and the CKxPATCH program for the base game. Since Keen 5 and 6 are not shareware, including the executables for those games is technically piracy. Keen 4 (on which your mod is based) is shareware, but the original shareware license by Apogee stated that you were only allowed to distribute unmodified copies of the game. Apogee/3D Realms no longer have the rights to distribute any of the Keen games, so they won't care anymore. But unless you can find a different shareware license for Keen 4, you would probably still have to respect the terms of the Apogee shareware release, otherwise you'd basically be back at piracy again. I have no idea how id/ZeniMax/Microsoft think about this.
I thought as it was shareware would be ok and make it look neater but this is easy fixed when I fix the few things ill update it
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

The new position of the score box is even more annoying that the original one. Since you've locked the camera to keep Keen in the right-ish part of the screen, you could just move the score box back to the top left corner, where it's as far away from Keen as it can be and doesn't obscure hazards that are extremely close to Keen.

Starting the game with 0 lives is a giant "fucl you" to the players in a game

i have fixed these two thing
now back to the old bat and patch files

fixed the read me to cover everything i could think of atm if anyone thinks of anything else i should add and to it let me know

the gameplay issues Nisaba has shown will be looking into and K1n9_duk3 i have never been happy with this colour and will be change in time

demos and door showcase

HAPPY KEENING :evil :evil
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 17:30
Image . Image

Image . Image

Image . Image
How do you do your screen grabs ?
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

in DOSBox you can open up a setup screen form where you can find all shortcuts. therefore press [Ctrl]+[F1] on you keyboard

within this menu you can also select and change existing hotkeys to your liking.

the screenshots will be stored in the standard dosbox folder on your system. As I'm running Linux I can't tell you where to look for them under Windows. But I know that the dosbox homepage comes with a wiki where all needed information are listed.
out now (link) : Image
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

Nisaba wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 17:30
Image .

fixed this issue for the game no the demo tho

Last edited by Bubzrulz on Sat Apr 17, 2021 22:33, edited 3 times in total.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Can you share screenshots?