The Sunnylands (K4 levelpack)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Re: The Sunnylands (K4 levelpack)

Post by Fleexy »

I finished the pack on Normal, except for any secret level(s). I'll add my compliments to those above -- this is an excellent level pack, and especially amazing for being your first Galaxy modding production. Overall the difficulty was low, but there were one or two points of fair challenge. There's a tasteful amount of inspiration from the original levels. The flooded level was a neat idea; it looked like it could actually be played as a normal level. Usually I'm in favor of limiting the use of the swimming mechanic, but that level was very good. I look forward to more content from you!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I am actually very interested in playing the underwater level without the water! Someone make this into a regular level? Nisaba? :begging
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

there are two underwater levels. which one?
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The flooded fort
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

na... that would deconstruct the fun. just use your imagination!
but if you really want to, simply jump into Abiathar and replace Keens swimming sprite with the walking sprite. easy as that!
:dopefish
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Woo started playing, I'm 5 levels in, more tomorrow. I really like humor in the story and the in-game messages (lol the wetsuit). I really like that you demonstrate mastery with how to use the tiles to create scenes, and I really appreciate how often you use slopes and ledges to break up the movement and action (but remember its ok to just have an area that's flat!). So far I've found the levels slightly easier and somewhat shorter than the originals (I'm playing on normal).

One thing to watch out for in the future is making the level too similar to the original you're replacing; maybe it was on purpose since the Sunnylands seem to mirror the Shadowlands somewhat, but I noticed immediately that the first three levels played out similarly to the original levels (maybe this is why I found them easy too, the familiarity).
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Thanks for the feedback! By the way, in case if anyone is interested, I recently uploaded levelmaps of the levelpack into KeenWiki (do keep in mind that they reveal some major secrets, however): http://www.shikadi.net/keenwiki/The_Sunnylands

@Ceilick: The reason why I usually use slopes and ledges in some levels was because I wanted the natural levels (like the grass ones) to feel like they were made naturally and not like they are built with a bunch of blocks together. The man-made levels (like the pyramids) are intended to feel more angular and block-based. I do agree that some levels feel too similar to the originals, which wasn't really on purpose, I think. I don't think I came up with the world name until I made a few levels; it was called Sunnylands since I couldn't think of a better name that would fit.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Just finished, I really enjoyed playing! The story, while simple, has such great, keenish humor in it, great job!

I'll echo others who have praised the sunken fort; what a unique take on a water level, really great. I really struggled to find the yellow gem so that I could get to the secret level! I found it on accident after wondering around for ten minutes lol.

The level design, as I mentioned earlier, is pretty consistently good throughout. Again, really liked your use of slopes and ledges to create really organic, keenish feeling areas with great point item distribution.

One thing I noticed while playing, which was a small negative, is that sometimes I didn't feel like I was exploring so much as just following the path in front of me. Part of this was because the levels usually felt small (the opposite problem that most of us have designing levels). I think having more open areas where the player needs to figure out the right way to go would help.

But I really enjoyed this and really look forward to your next mod or levelpack. Actually crossing my fingers you'll do Keen 6 with great levels like these :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

For me these levels were of perfect size and difficulty. For the love of everything, don't make them more confusing in the future! One of the reasons I don't like Galaxy mods as much is the complexity of levels. I've cursed like a sailor while playing some mods where the levels just keeps going and going and present a billion switches and doors. (Another thing I like about these levels is that I knew sort of instinctively what the switches did.) I do play all the new Galaxy works when they appear, and enjoy them, but I replay them rarely compared to Vorticon mods. This level pack has already become one my most-played Galaxy productions. (I've played it through like 5 times and am about to go for another round.)

I never felt there were too many slopes. In Galaxy designs I like to see a lot of them.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Hear ye!
Shikadi-Network
Grunt

Post by Shikadi-Network »

Hey Keeners,

one of my viewers posted a comment about one problem. Because of my illness I wasn`t able to play the levelpack further, but he did finish it. His problem is simple, if you don`t find the secret level or don`t take the Council Member and finish the level without him, you will stuck on the worldmap unable to finish the levelpack. I am not sure if this is intentional (but I think it is) or there are enough hints to avoid that. Sry if the Levelpack itself answers this questions, but I can not play it at the moment. (because I will record it for Youtube and I want to play it "blind")
The only frontier is our imagination - The Guy from Shikadi-Netzwerk
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm on mobile so can't pull up some images on Sunnyland levels to illustrate what I mean, but I definitely don't want to be understood as advocating significant complexity (if Keenrush is responding to my suggestion).

Take a look at Slug Village or the Perilous Pit. Both these levels have great use of slopes and ledges breaking up the flat space, they also have some nice flat areas that stretch the level out to be a bit bigger without increasing complexity, and they also have areas to explore and room to figure out where to go (even if there's only one or two moments where they have to do so).

Sunnylands certainly did have some levels that felt this way, for me. In a couple of levels I even stumbled upon the exit before I was done exploring and turned back to investigate the areas I missed! That was a really good feeling: not feeling like I needed to escape due to difficulty or over complexity.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Ceilick wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 20:13I'm on mobile so can't pull up some images on Sunnyland levels to illustrate what I mean, but I definitely don't want to be understood as advocating significant complexity (if Keenrush is responding to my suggestion).
Just speaking generally because many commented that the levels are on the shorter and easier side. I didn't feel either was true! I guess that just shows how much worse I'm at Galaxy than at Vorticons. (They were easier than most Galaxy mod levels but as said that's just a positive for me.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Thanks for the comments, guys!

@Ceilick: It's really nice to see that you enjoyed it! About some of the levels feeling linear, if you're talking about the secret level and the hand pyramid, those two levels were meant to be like that. If you're talking about other levels, though, then I'd like it if you have showed me what you mean. Also, it feels really great to see that you're hoping I'll do a levelpack for Keen 6! :D

@Shikadi-Network: Huh, that sounds very weird. The mod should be beatable without needing to even go to the secret level. :confused Did he play all of the levels? If so, then I'm guessing there's a bug in one of the Council Member levels that let you exit without getting the member. If it's not because of bugs, then could he perhaps send me a save file of his, if he does have one, so I could look into it and see what's wrong?
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

@Quillax @Shikadi-Network
ok, just tested everything and it's actually false information. the secret level just features the janitor and the eight council guys are located in regular levels... in other words, one doesn't need to find the secret level to beat the game.

ps.: Yes, please! I'd love to see a K6 levelpack designed by Quillax.
pps.: Is your name Quillax suppose to be an imperfect ananym of Ceillick?