Suburb Shenanigans

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Re: Suburb Shenanigans

Post by Roobar »

OK I've managed to finally beat this game. The ending was definitely a surprise. I did not expected that.

As far as bugs are concerned, I need to mention the following after downloading and trying the last version from Nisaba:
1. At the end of this level, you can fall through solid soil ground right before the checkpoint sign:

2. You can get out of the boundaries right up there (top middle in the screenshot):

3. I got the "Insufficient memory" for music in Scudders Burger Bar after saving and loading.

4. I got a game freeze in Casey's Place when saving and loading.
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

I tried to play the game, but my copy of Keen 5 appears to be incompatible with it.

I have version 1.4, after all. But the exe file was KEEN5.EXE, and I had to rename it to KEEN5E.EXE. It still didn't work, getting stuck at the loading screen as if CKPATCH was having trouble with the exe file.

Edit: I am a stupid person. I copied the entire directory over, not just the exe file, and I also forgot to UNLZEXE the exe.
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Hi guys, here is the latest update:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4gpfx9249jbnp ... s.zip?dl=0

---------------------------------------

The mod is a hell of a lot more stable now due to a bit of juggling of tiles and sprites. I haven't had it crash on me in the last week I've been adjusting other aspects of the mod. There have been a few graphical suggestions from Nisaba and Zilem that I have considered and have implemented most of them. Cyber Zero has been kind enough to lend me his unique BWB tiles so thanks for that! A number of forum members have offered suggestions for various aspects of the mod and I have considered and implemented what I've seen appropriate up until this point. A few tile problems have been addressed too.

A big thanks to 55Avenue for sorting out the music volumes! Very appreciated! The only real issue left in my eyes is the game over crashing which I will talk to Levellass about soon.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work on the Ocflore Project over the next few months. My work has come leaps and bounds since Suburb Shenanigans and I'm excited for everyone to play and experience my next mod!

Cheers
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Bubbatom wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:21 I'm looking forward to getting back to work on the Ocflore Project over the next few months. My work has come leaps and bounds since Suburb Shenanigans and I'm excited for everyone to play and experience my next mod!
Release on 314? :evil
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

So this mod is all about Billy trespassing into his neighbours' houses and stealing all their candy? His sugar addiction must've finally got the better of him :P
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I need to try this :)

Didn't know it was released already.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

So far it looks like alot of fun, alot of creative ideas and such. :love
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Ooh! Thank you! Have been looking forward to this for years.

So far it's lovely! It's such a nice change to explore suburbs on a mundane mission.
I'm so glad CK fandom has so many skilled modders. :) I should look up what else is new, it's probably been a couple of years since I last did.

BUG REPORT:

It crashes with the error message: "RF_PlaceSprite: No free spots in the Spriteriary!"
In "The Mansion" level. When I try to load a saved game.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

wolfcub7 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15It crashes with the error message: "RF_PlaceSprite: No free spots in the Spriteriary!"
I guess it would help if you could also upload your saved games somewhere. That would make it easier to reproduce the bug and maybe help the author(s) fix that bug it in a future release.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 20:18
wolfcub7 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15It crashes with the error message: "RF_PlaceSprite: No free spots in the Spriteriary!"
I guess it would help if you could also upload your saved games somewhere. That would make it easier to reproduce the bug and maybe help the author(s) fix that bug it in a future release.
From what I read from this thread that same bug has crashed other stages before and the author(s) were able to fix them. I think they should be able to spot and fix it in that one too, seeing to that it's nothing new.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

wolfcub7 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:15 BUG REPORT:

It crashes with the error message: "RF_PlaceSprite: No free spots in the Spriteriary!"
The save state crash is a known bug. Unfortunately I wasn't able to address those strange anomalies yet. It seems like those save files in question get somehow irrepealable corrupted after a couple of loading times. To be honest, I have no idea why...
The only way to bypass this issue is to avoid loading save states. I admit, that's not at all a hunky-dory solution... sorry about that.
out now (link) : Image
wolfcub7
Vortininja

Post by wolfcub7 »

Well, yeah. Before that's fixed this whole game would have to be played through in one go. Or hope that when you have to save and quit that it didn't get corrupted. It's somewhat unplayable with this bug. :(

Hopefully you can figure it out someday.

Anyway, beautiful and fun game. Great job! :)
clump
Grunt

Post by clump »

I was a bit depressed after the announcement of that new mobile Keen game, so I went to check this forum after a while, and... OH MY GOD! This really raised my spirits. I was looking forward to this mod for years, so I was happy to find out it's been finally released. And wow, it may be the best Keen game I've ever played, official or not. It really feels like natural part of the series and natural progession from Goodbye, Galaxy! and Aliens Ate My Baby Sitter, both in terms of graphics and level design. Many thanks, Bubbatom. I really hope there will be part two at some point in time.

By the way, I also experienced crashes/freezes after loading a game inside some levels, even with the latest version. But it couldn't stop me from finishing the game.
Last edited by clump on Wed Jul 21, 2021 0:07, edited 3 times in total.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

I beaten it last night! This was definitely a fun journey that is very well-designed! I did come across a couple problems, but I was playing the initial version, so they might have been fixed since then. In case they aren't, though, I'll say that I had insufficient memory for the Scudders place at one time and I went out of bounds going through the garage door on the house by the school bus. I do wish that there is a secret level in this game; I even thought I found the way to one when I found that garage door glitch! :lol

I really love that ending, btw! I hope you'll make part 2 someday! Also, I can't wait for that Ocflore project of yours! You're a really good modder, I'll tell you. I remember playing your Keen 4 levelpack many times back then, and it's very fun! :)
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Nowhere Girl
Vortininja

Post by Nowhere Girl »

I need a little help. I'm in the further part of the Cosy Dwelling level, past the checkpoint. There is a garden pool with two of those devices you can jump on - but they only move a tiny little, much too little to cross the gap between them even with a pogo stick. How to get past this point??
Here's a map of the level:
https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/i/e/e3/Sub ... vel_21.png