The MrBlackPack - A NEW Keen 3 Level Pack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Hey, sorry guys I've been really busy!

OK, about the Goplat that moves under the two rayguns above the compers. I'm pretty damn sure it's not perfectly in sync with them, so you can simply wait for an appropriate time where the platform doesn't converge with the lasers in both tiles at once.

As for that jump up the waterfall, it honestly doesn't matter to me. It wasn't intentional but I don't mind either way. I deliberately don't include jumps like that because they're just awkward and unnecessary, and forcing people to do them could result in a few very frustrating deaths.

And thank you very much for pointing out that bug with the Red Door, it should be easily fixed.

matonen if it's the jump I'm thinking of, I've already edited it (and posted a screenshot of the edit) so I'll release a new version of the pack soon. (Don't worry, only very minor changes like that jump and the door bug)

Thanks again everyone for the feedback! Very appreciated =]
Allstories wrote:I finally beat every level. I love how there's never anything that's too unfair, so I never got too overwhelmed or discouraged. Almost every time I died it was because of something stupid I did, and not because of bad level design.
^^^ Thanks for this, it's exactly what I strived to achieve with this levelpack =D

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Thank you! I would really appreciate modifying that level :)

BTW Some of the best keen levels there! Are you going to make another level pack? :drool
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

CK Guy wrote:......Image......
Notice the green door? I never found a green keycard for this door. Was this intentional or did I just not look around hard enough?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Hmm... never noticed that. You can of course search it from the map with god mode.
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Syllypryde wrote:
CK Guy wrote:......Image......
Notice the green door? I never found a green keycard for this door. Was this intentional or did I just not look around hard enough?
I wondered the same thing to be honest. My brother made the first part of this level up to the Red door, so that includes the Green door. I don't think there's a Green key for it so I really should take out the door (and its corridor, which is merely about 12 teddies and 8 guns). Thanks for reminding me!

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It might be amusing to keep it. Sort of gives an air of mystery... or something. Like that little path between the forest and mountains in Keen 4 that leads to the hidden pyramid but isn't big enough to walk through.

But then again it might just be unprofessional to leave it. *shrugs*
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Commander Spleen wrote: But then again it might just be unprofessional to leave it. *shrugs*
If it was a RED door, I'd say we'd finally found a use for the Washington D.C. keycard. ;)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

MrBlack wrote:I wondered the same thing to be honest. My brother made the first part of this level up to the Red door, so that includes the Green door. I don't think there's a Green key for it so I really should take out the door (and its corridor, which is merely about 12 teddies and 8 guns). Thanks for reminding me!
Can I make a suggestion? I say add a green keycard, but put it somewhere that is almost (ALMOST) impossible to reach. If the player is smart enough, greedy enough, determined enough, experienced enough, lucky enough, or any combination of the above, they can get through the green door and collect some extra goodies as a reward for their preseverence! What do you say, Mr. Black?

Patrick

EDIT: In one of the Military Installation Island levels there is a yellow door right above the exit. There does not seem to be a yellow keycard for that door either!
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It's a conspiracy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Commander Spleen wrote:It's a conspiracy!
I doubt Mortimer cares less whether or not that door has a keycard! :mortlol
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
MrBlack
Vortininja

Post by MrBlack »

Syllypryde wrote:
MrBlack wrote:I wondered the same thing to be honest. My brother made the first part of this level up to the Red door, so that includes the Green door. I don't think there's a Green key for it so I really should take out the door (and its corridor, which is merely about 12 teddies and 8 guns). Thanks for reminding me!
Can I make a suggestion? I say add a green keycard, but put it somewhere that is almost (ALMOST) impossible to reach. If the player is smart enough, greedy enough, determined enough, experienced enough, lucky enough, or any combination of the above, they can get through the green door and collect some extra goodies as a reward for their preseverence! What do you say, Mr. Black?

Patrick

EDIT: In one of the Military Installation Island levels there is a yellow door right above the exit. There does not seem to be a yellow keycard for that door either!
Actually, I'm pretty sure that was the original intention, syllypryde ;) I might put a Green key somewhere, or I might just leave it for that air of mystery... maybe I'll even include it in a future levelpack... ;)

On that note, I feel like making some more levels. I want to hear any ideas YOU guys have or would love to see in Keen 3 levels. Please no suggestions for mods/custom tilesets or anything yet though, sorry. But please, hit me with your best ideas!

Levelpacks by me
Keen 3
Keen 4
matonen
Vortininja

Post by matonen »

Hmm...

- You could use the mangling machine or parts of it
- Different locations of the levels in world map.
- FOOBS!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

I think it would be interesting, at least, to see the first level of Commander Keen 1 replicated in Keen 3.

But anyways, great level pack Mr.Black!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

MrBlack wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure that was the original intention, syllypryde ;) I might put a Green key somewhere, or I might just leave it for that air of mystery... maybe I'll even include it in a future levelpack... ;)

On that note, I feel like making some more levels. I want to hear any ideas YOU guys have or would love to see in Keen 3 levels. Please no suggestions for mods/custom tilesets or anything yet though, sorry. But please, hit me with your best ideas!
Just a quick question, Mr. Black. I have noticed most modders and level designers seem to try to manipulate different Keen games. What is your particular obsession with Keen 3?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Syllypryde wrote: Just a quick question, Mr. Black. I have noticed most modders and level designers seem to try to manipulate different Keen games. What is your particular obsession with Keen 3?
I'm gonna sneak in, having modded all 3 games in the Vorticons trilogy, and suggest that it's the enemies and the resulting playstyle that make the episode so fun to mod:

Keen 1's got the Vorticon Grunt as a flexible, AI-strong enemy, and then two "patrol + invincible," a "charge the player" and an "annoy the player." That's it! The rest is obstacles; there's not a lot you can do to surprise the player, even if you mix and match AI with patches. Flavor-wise, this episode focuses on EXPLORATION.

Keen 2's got the Vorticon Grunt as a flexible, AI-strong enemy, the Vorticon Elite as a flexible, multishot, AI-strong ranged enemy, (both of whom can be tweaked with a lightswitch), the Vortikid as a flexible annoyance, a wall-crawling platform, and then an elevator. Flavor-wise, this episode focuses on STRATEGY.

Keen 3's got the Vorticon Grunt as a flexible, AI-strong enemy, the Vortikids, the Vortininja as a stronger flexible enemy, the Vortimom as a ranged mulitshot annoyance, a more easily killed ranged enemy with a harder to deal with attack, and then various obstacles. Flavor-wise, this episode focuses on ACTION.

:) Just my two cents.