keen 64

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bloog_Soup
Grunt

keen 64

Post by Bloog_Soup »

when does 64 come out. for what sysetems?
keen rocks the house!! id be happy with only keen for the rest of my life. i love keen!!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

It's coming out for the Commodore 64.

Check the topic, dude.
Bloog_Soup
Grunt

Post by Bloog_Soup »

oh cool. like mario 64? i didnt read it all becuz it was long but looks good. would anyone be inrtrested in making a mod of my story? into a game?
~Edel :p
keen rocks the house!! id be happy with only keen for the rest of my life. i love keen!!
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

I dunno where he is at the moment, but right now the author (who I talk to on and off, I forget his actual SN on this forum) has not been working too hard on this lately.

The details of the story are up in the air at the moment. The game was initially designed to be a 3D Keen1 "proof of concept". But as time's gone on, he's mentioned to me a few times about making a stand alone game, sorta like if Keen returned to Mars (but he still isn't sure what he wants to do). So right now, there is no story.

EDIT: His name on here if Lava89. Meh, I could have checked his thread earlier, lol.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

GoldenRishi wrote: right now the author has not been working too hard on this lately.
Well the only thing I need to make are the levels, which with the beta I made the actual map model in an editor but I put all of the objects in manually; essentially I had to plug in each coordinate for each and every object, and that has too much trial and error and doesn't work well when weaving all of the levels together in a coherent game. When I can make levels via a level editor, preferably one made by me, I will finish the full game.
GoldenRishi wrote:The details of the story are up in the air at the moment. The game was initially designed to be a 3D Keen1 "proof of concept".
I think you're referring to the demo I made.
GoldenRishi wrote:But as time's gone on, he's mentioned to me a few times about making a stand alone game, sorta like if Keen returned to Mars (but he still isn't sure what he wants to do). So right now, there is no story.
Oh ok, I think I mis-communicated to you what I was doing, because again I think you're referring to the Keen 64 demo; which has a rather simple plot of "what if Keen explored another area Mars before the first game?". I have no plans for a Marooned on Mars sequel; only a prequel which has already been released, and that was just to fit in the absence of the pogo and vorticons and the inclusion of the Beta level. The prequel story was just for the demo. I am sorry I made it sound like I was going to do something different.

And at the moment I have no means of making anything Keen other than sequential tech demos (like the pogo one I discussed a few months ago) or the full version of Keen 64; which will be a 3D remake of Commander Keen: Marooned on Mars. The Keen 64 Demo was meant to demonstrate what that experience could be like, or at least how I plan to go about doing the full game.
mortimer
Blistering Barnacles

Post by mortimer »

:garg :garg :garg :garg :garg
Last edited by mortimer on Sun Jul 12, 2020 19:37, edited 1 time in total.
Billions of blue blistering barnacles in a thousand thundering typhoons!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Thank you Mortimer!

Keen is slow? Have you played the latest pogo demo? I might've made him faster in it. If not, I could consider changing it.

viewtopic.php?t=807
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Here's a sketch I drew earlier this year that might give you some ideas. This is how I would envision a 3D Keen game.

http://www.jimage.org/keen/spleen-3d-keen.png
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Hey that's a pretty cool concept art. I am assuming that it is in the style of Keen 4-6? Judging from the sliding pole.

Anyhow, I like the arch with the pillar and then the stairs. If I draw major inspirations in my future level designs from that level I will give you a mention in the credits.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Yeah, it's pretty much inspired by Keen 4-6. The main point I want to make with this is the point item layout. Instead of putting together a huge cube of cans as I saw in some previous screenshots, simple 2D structures akin to those seen in the original side-scrolling environment, would be much classier.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Ooh ok.

Haha, yeah, those "globs" of items weren't intended to be in the full version. As mentioned before, I was mostly having fun with the new dimension in level design, but looking at it now I realize that I made some moderate design flaws in my level.

Your concept art is still pretty cool though, and I think it highlights the Keen 4-6 style well.