The Keys of Krodacia Re-Release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I now have fourteen levels complete on hard for TKOK. Gem Temple, Fun House, Stone Temple, and Shoal were finished tonight. I have three levels left, Cliff Hanger, Slime Lake and Reef. Hopefully soon I will finally have this mod complete on all three difficulties.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

First of all: Great re-release! Thanks!

There are two things that you might want to patch again.

First:
Mushroom Forest is much too hard in "Easy Mode". None of the original keen games would make it so difficult to pass a level you definitely have to pass.
See the following screenshots:
http://www.bilder-space.de/show.php?fil ... eroEkT.jpg
http://www.bilder-space.de/show.php?fil ... lVOo55.jpg

Second:
The music. The one that plays when you enter the worldmap is good. All other tracks are not so good or even bad. I'm afraid to tell you but I always turn the music off when I enter a "house"-level because I just can't stand it. And the rest of the music, well, it doesn't hurt but I don't get that Keen-feeling. It seems to me that there's missing a general inspiration or idea behind the tracks.
That's quite suprising because you did a great job on the music in Keen 8. Maybe you could make a new soundtrack for Keen 7?
I hope that didn't hurt you and if I'm the only one who's feeling this way, I'll just turn off the music in Keen 7. But if there are other players who would like to have a new soundtrack maybe there's a way to update.

Once again, great job on Keen 7 and 8!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Keenfan wrote:.........Mushroom Forest is much too hard in "Easy Mode". None of the original keen games would make it so difficult to pass a level you definitely have to pass.
See the following screenshots:
http://www.bilder-space.de/show.php?fil ... eroEkT.jpg
This is one of the easiest brombo's to get past. His movements are actually quite predictable. He takes a few steps, throws a gas bomb, takes a few steps, throws a gas bomb, takes a few steps, throws a gas bomb, etc. What you need to do here is wait for him to get to you and then jump over him. Then you have to be quick. If you lolly gag around he will kill you. Once you flip the switch wait again. Once he gets to you again, jump over him and then get the hell out of there. If you are too slow, once again, he will kill you.
Now this brombo is a different story. It is a little more tricky to get past him then the brombo in your first screenshot. But on the easy difficulty, you can avoid him with patience and the use of a secret passage in the ceiling that you can access by way of the impossible pogo trick. The passage will drop you down right where the green gem is. You can grab the gem, go back through the passage the same way you came, drop back down and get the hell out of there.

On the normal and hard difficulties, you will not be able to jump high enough to get to the secret passage, not even with the impossible pogo trick. So you have to go toe-to-toe with the brombo. Best thing to do here is grab the ledge the brombo is on and hang there for awhile. Wait until he turns his back and moves towards the left near the green gem. Climb up and be ready to pogo and dodge, dodge and pogo. Once you are over him and have the green gem, you will be able to reach the secret passage from there and it will drop you down on the ledge right of the brombo. Be careful! The brombo can throw a gas bomb at you just as you are falling out of the passage. Once you are safely on the ledge get the hell out of there.

Patrick

Edit: If you really think the brombo's are hard on the easy difficulty in Mushroom Forest, play Cliff Hanger on normal and hard and then get back to me.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Thanks, Keenfan

On the mushroom forest, I don't feel it's too difficult. They might be hard, but not too hard, imho.

On the music: Honest opinions don't hurt my feelings at all :) The music isn't the most keenish, but at the time, I was just excited to actually have music, quality was less a concern. The difference in keen 7 and 8 is because in keen 8 we figured out the possibilities for musical composition and had two, whom I consider experts, zidanea and mr m working on it (rather than Keenrush and I, who did music for keen 7).

I'm open to a new soundtrack for another update for The Keys of Krodacia, however, this is dependent on other musicians taking the time to write the music.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Alright, good news. :-)
And now that Syllypryde told me how to do it, I agree with mushroom forest. If you know how to do it, it's fair for easy mode. :-)
Gik
Grunt

Post by Gik »

Ceilick wrote:I'm open to a new soundtrack for another update for The Keys of Krodacia, however, this is dependent on other musicians taking the time to write the music.
Hi!

I do some composing on OPL (Adlib/Soundblaster) and would be interested in doing a soundtrack. Here are two examples:
http://8bitcollective.com/music/µB/Sus ... er+(Adlib)
http://8bitcollective.com/music/µB/Jug ... ol+(Adlib)

What file format would you need the tracks in? Would a MIDI file do?

Edit: Hm, I can't get the bb url code to work. You'll have to copypaste the urls :dopekeen
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Cool songs, Gik, I especially like Suspicious User.

Keen uses the IMF format, and you can convert midi files to imf using this program: http://winwolf3d.dugtrio17.com/download/IMFCreator

Advice on compositionfrom Mr. M
My advice to give you three (and anyone else), is to abuse the IMF instruments, and be sure to check the number of discarded notes in IMF Creator the ideal number is 0, which will almost always result in a glitch-free song. What sounds amazing in MIDI may not sound so good in IMF; I know I've learned that the hard way. I've also learned the hard way not to use too many automated channel volume controls.

Also, check out Bobby Prince's blog if you haven't already. What better place to get advice than from the man himself? I won't parrot his words here, just read it:

http://www.bpmusic.com
The musical theme for tkok is generally meant to be night-time and mysterious, if that helps anyone with composition ideas.

Assuming a music rehall is done on this mod, I'd like all songs to be replaced, not just the 'harsh listening' ones.
Gik
Grunt

Post by Gik »

I've made a few short tests, and I should be able to work with that. Sounds like imf is OPL2, so the tracks won't sound as full as my examples. I like the challenge though! I'll try something later today.
Keenfan
Vortininja

Post by Keenfan »

Ceilick wrote:Assuming a music rehall is done on this mod, I'd like all songs to be replaced, not just the 'harsh listening' ones.
Are you sure? I really like the world map theme and the "key collected" theme. I'd like to hear this one in a level.
Last edited by Keenfan on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47, edited 2 times in total.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Those two songs are both from midi files I downloaded of the Lenny Kravitz song "always on the run" and a Monkees song "I'm not your Stepping Stone"; I'd prefer having all original tunes.

6 songs total: 1 for the world map, 1 for saving the oracle, 4 for levels.

Keenfan, Gik, looking forward to hearing both your compositions :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'm against removing KeenRush's songs, but maybe use them in less levels. The songs are generally just annoying 'cause they're playing in every odd level.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Boy, am I a lonely soul. Am I the only one who liked the songs for TKOK? That is right! I liked the songs and I am opposed to them being removed. Then again, it is not my mod. Since everyone including the modder himself want to change the music, it looks like I am outvoted here.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I prefer Gik's music, but 2 tracks isn't enough to replace the whole set. I didn't hear any of the others yet...
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Well, it does feel a bit weird in some way.
Think how is it that one day, all tracks for Keen 4 get replaced :D

However, it's still a MOD, though, so music can be replaced. And that's assuming we don't think about it like an official game...
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

NY00123 wrote:Well, it does feel a bit weird in some way.
Think how is it that one day, all tracks for Keen 4 get replaced :D

However, it's still a MOD, though, so music can be replaced. And that's assuming we don't think about it like an official game...
That is my whole problem.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees