The Keys of Krodacia Re-Release

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Gik
Grunt

Post by Gik »

Well, I finished the first track:

http://milkcrate.com.au/ub/pogo_shuffle.imf

I hope the instruments translate into the game, this is what it should sound like:

http://milkcrate.com.au/ub/pogo_shuffle.mp3

Hope you like it :)

And hey, if you should decide against my music, no problem. I got to play with cool OPL2 sounds, so that's alright in my book!
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

The old versions of the mod are always availible to those who enjoy the 'original tkok songs'.
Think how is it that one day, all tracks for Keen 4 get replaced
I actually find keen 4 music to be highly annoying :p

Cool song, Gik, reminds me of monster bash for some reason. I like it a lot. I'm not sure, though, if it fits in right with the 'mood' of tkok; I need to think on it.

Also, if you plan on doing more compositions (I hope so), go ahead an pm me with them :)
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

I think it'd sound pretty nice in the house levels.
Gik
Grunt

Post by Gik »

Will do. If you're looking for more serene stuff, I'll give that a try. Dunno, Keen music has always had some good portion of funk. If that track doesn't fit, scrap it.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm not sure if the track fits, but I'd sooner consider it as a possibility for Battle of the Brains than dismiss it. Still, it may work fine for The Keys of krodacia, perhaps in the house levels as genius314 suggests.
Mitsukara
Grunt

Post by Mitsukara »

I don't think the music in Keys of Krodacia is all that bad, and as a player with no modding experience I have to say I am impressed with the fact that you got all-new music into these mods, considering that I can scarcely think of any mods or hacks of any game I've ever seen that actually accomplish that. So very nice work to have done so.

That said... I think the problem with Keys' music is that it's all in pretty short loops. Every song but the map kinda has the same problem as "Too Hot" from Keen 4: it repeats a short loop many times. The conception of and notes in the loop aren't that bad, but it's easy for it to sound repetitive and tiresome. (the ambient stuff like "It's quiet... too quiet" kinda works, but "Into the Inferno" does kinda grate after you've been playing a level a couple minutes. Kinda sounds psycho, like the theme from Halloween or something...)

So, while I admit to having no composing skill myself, I would suggest a compromise for those working on it- maybe you can take the ideas the existing soundtrack had, but make the songs more substantial and complex (and longer, if there aren't some kind of program limitations on that).

If the original music could be sort of enhanced, it might make everyone happy; for people who like the original soundtrack and want it to stay, it'll still kinda be in there, but people who want something different or just want it to sound a little smoother could be pleased too. A compromise.

That said the new composition "pogo shuffle" is nice and catchy, and flows smoothly. :)
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Into The Inferno
:barf :barf :barf
borgqueenx
Grunt

Post by borgqueenx »

i have finally found time to play the trilogy but im already stuck on keen 7 keys of krodacia.

I cant find the last 2 keys and it seems i already completed all but the secret level.

i loved keen i completed keen 1 to 6 like 10 times.

and a side suggestion: the music in keen 7 sucks...sorry composers... :dead2

and 2 thing i also like to note: there were 2 moments in this game that couldnt be completed without save/load over and over again. for example an undestroyable enemy wich is guarding a key...and you cant predict his movement so its really a matter of having luck...
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Those other two are probably in the water levels. You need the Swim Coin from the Mansion (IIRC).
borgqueenx
Grunt

Post by borgqueenx »

Already completed them...
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Levels containing keys are: Private Manor, Mansion, The Underground, Gem Temple, Slime Temple, Shoal, and Reef.
there were 2 moments in this game that couldnt be completed without save/load over and over again. for example an undestroyable enemy wich is guarding a key...and you cant predict his movement so its really a matter of having luck...
I'm aware that people consider the Brombo placement in Mushroom Forest to be a case of this, which is the other?
jayo
Vortininja

Post by jayo »

shikadi wrote:i still not get how he could alive the crash on the planet , and the flying in the cold space full of cosmic radiation
in the screens after you complete it you seem him flying in the space and crashing :dead2
How was Keen able to breathe on Mars? How do the food things float? And where does he put all the stuff he collects?

My point, Shikadi: you needn't concern yourself with that flying through space!

As for the crash, Keen 8 answers that: industrial strength pogo springs!
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

And where does he put all the stuff he collects?
He eats them.

:redeyes
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

He's a voracious reader :D
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Hahah yeah, and he literally devours toys too. :O I wonder how he hasn't died of sugar overdose...
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."