Operation Ocflore

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Nisaba
Janitress

Re: Operation Ocflore

Post by Nisaba »

Constructive criticism:
In level "Swallowed Spire" you have hidden the purple key in a secret area. I don't think that this such a good idea. It's true that the player might need to solve a puzzle or explore the level with passion in order to proceed. But IMO crucial items like keys shouldn't be hidden behind walls and secret passages. It took me like 10 minutes, a lot of backtracking and finally cheating, to get to this place.

That said, I really love the exit stele. reminds me of the Codex Hammurapi
out now (link) : Image
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 Regular scrolling in the underwater level (L17) instead of the world-map scrolling. Is that the intended behavior or was this just a side-effect of enabling regular level exits for this level?
Yeah, an unfortunate side-effect of enabling a regular level exit!
Nisaba wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:32 pls let me nit-pick a lil bit. In the help section "the game" I came across a typo. sheet 13: it should say Ocflore instead of Oclfore
https://i.postimg.cc/Sx12T9Y4/ck4patch-033.png
Good pickup! I'll correct that.
Roobar wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:38 While I also find the world very immersive and beautiful, I find the 3 races occupying the world bit confusing. At first I was convinced that I need to fight for one race and stun the representatives of the other two. But then it turns out I need to stun the representatives of the race I'm fighting for as well? What? Why?
Yeah, I'm not surprised that there's a bit of confusion here. I might need to make all of this a bit clearer in the Game and Story sections of the F1 help menu. Some of this is left over from when I intended for the game to have two possible endings depending on which race you decided to side with and the levels that were completed.
Nisaba wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 Constructive criticism:
In level "Swallowed Spire" you have hidden the purple key in a secret area. I don't think that this such a good idea. It's true that the player might need to solve a puzzle or explore the level with passion in order to proceed.
Hmm, I'll make it a bit more clear as to where to find this key by adding a sign or something in the next revision. I guess this is something I overlooked as the level designer, it's funny how difficult puzzles make sense when you aren't the one trying to work them out!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

So far the bright atmosphere and idyllic aesthetic is definitely more in line with my taste than the darker, gritty Galaxy mods that have been released in the past 5 years or so.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Wow, that's one awesome mod! I remember playing the impressive demo in mid-2015. It was worth the wait, congratulations on finishing it. :)
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
keenmaster486
Vorticon Elite

Post by keenmaster486 »

Wonderful! I've been waiting for this one.

I'm happy to test for you on real hardware!
I flermmed the plootash just like you asked.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

If there is a definition and essence of "fun" - it's me playing this mod. (Only on level 2, a bit lost there with all the switches)
This mod is a tribute to Keen modding in general.

It proves that with good pixel art, good concept, good level design and fantastic music - who needs code patches?
It still feels like a totally new game, fully professional, very inspiring, you just want to stop and enjoy the view. So much details, visual consistency and immersion...
I'm so proud of Keen game and Keen modding after all those years. Simply brilliant.

...I'm not sure I'd call a creature "pet-raped"...
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Bubbatom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:12 - apparently the size of the hitbox of the schoolfish can not be changed? The replacement ("Pererro") looks like it's clipping through the ground sometimes because of this. The hitbox values can be edited in 4SPRITES.TXT but this doesn't change the size in game.
Your replacement sprites use a hitbox that is 24 pixels wide and 16 pixles tall, so you would have to add these patches to set the correct values for full clipping mode:

Code: Select all

# fullclip schoolfish hitbox
%patch $A7B2 $0180w	# width  (default: $0100w = 16 pixels)
%patch $A7B7 $0100w	# height (default: $0080w =  8 pixles)
Bubbatom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:12 - the unnamed stone robot enemy (walking Blue Bird replacement) will sometime get stuck at walls.
I think the main reason why your walking bluebird replacement gets stuck sometimes is that the hitbox for moving left differs greatly from the hitbox for moving right. That means every time the enemy turns around, the hitbox moves 12 pixels to the left or to the right, so the enemy may be partially inside a wall or it may no longer be touching the ground after turning around and that's why it gets stuck.

Changing the hitbox like this should fix this issue:

247: [19, 20, 34, 40], [-12, -8], 1
248: [19, 20, 34, 40], [-12, -8], 1
249: [19, 20, 34, 40], [-12, -8], 1
250: [19, 20, 34, 40], [-12, -8], 1
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 21:20 I think the main reason why your walking bluebird replacement gets stuck sometimes is that the hitbox for moving left differs greatly from the hitbox for moving right. That means every time the enemy turns around, the hitbox moves 12 pixels to the left or to the right, so the enemy may be partially inside a wall or it may no longer be touching the ground after turning around and that's why it gets stuck.

investigated here as well and was about to share something quite similar. as K1n9_Duk3 already mentioned changing the hitbox should do the trick
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

There is also the water not killing Keen on the edges so you can just stand on water
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

DoomJedi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 There is also the water not killing Keen on the edges so you can just stand on water
That's a good thing if the tiles next to the water are sloped.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks for all the great feedback so far guys, I really appreciate it! I think I'll have a revision update to post in the next couple of days as I go in and fix the minor issues that are being pointed out, keep them coming!
DoomJedi wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 19:45 ...I'm not sure I'd call a creature "pet-raped"...
I never would have read that enemy name like that! It's supposed to be "Petra-ped", I'll put the hyphen in the next update.
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 21:20

# fullclip schoolfish hitbox
%patch $A7B2 $0180w	# width  (default: $0100w = 16 pixels)
%patch $A7B7 $0100w	# height (default: $0080w =  8 pixles)

Thanks K1n9_Duk3, this helps a lot!
DoomJedi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:19 There is also the water not killing Keen on the edges so you can just stand on water
As TsK said, if it's on the sloped sand this is alright. Otherwise let me know if you find anywhere that the water should kill Keen but doesn't . . . I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tile or two that doesn't do what it should.
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

As TsK said, if it's on the sloped sand this is alright. Otherwise let me know if you find anywhere that the water should kill Keen but doesn't . . . I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tile or two that doesn't do what it should.
No, I didn't mean sloped sand. I could stand on water edges (I mean normal water, not sea water) and would die only when moving towards to the center of it.
Had it at least a few times already.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Bubbatom wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:54

I think DoomJedi is talking about this:
https://i.postimg.cc/dQ9G0dCR/walking-on-water.gif
I have spotted this in level 13 (Savannak Temple)

also in L13 you can clip through a wall and find an unintended early exit. the secret area seen in the gif below consisting of slope tiles which cause the issue.
https://i.postimg.cc/pXXz5TQw/end-game-glitch.gif

EDIT:
same level, different issue:
https://i.postimg.cc/k4R9pxd0/tile-issue.gif

L9:
In the middle section there is an unreachable secret area.

L10:
in this level Keen can fall through water which looks a little bit odd:
https://i.postimg.cc/YS3bBVtg/fall-through-water.gif

also:
sometimes (just sometimes) it's a bit hard to distinguish what is background and which trees are actually solid so Keen can walk on them. (take L16 for e.g.)

ps.:
the setting of this level reminds me a lot of the Ancient Ruins from Disney's 1967 film, The Jungle Book. was this film by any chance a source of inspiration?
Last edited by Nisaba on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:41, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Thanks Nisaba, I've fixed all of those issues just now! Not sure how to tackle the trees blending in, might see if other people think the same as I don't find them too difficult to differentiate from the background.
Nisaba wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:51 ps.:
the setting of this level reminds me a lot of the Ancient Ruins from Disney's 1967 film, The Jungle Book. was this film by any chance a source of inspiration?
Nah, just a coincidence I think! Haven't seen that film since I was a kid, should watch it again as I remember it being pretty good.
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

boy, the secret level is quite a challenge. took me a while to figure out how to wingsuit there like an electrified flying squirrel. very rewarding!