Operation Ocflore

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Operation Ocflore

Post by Bubbatom »

Commander Keen in "Operation Ocflore"

Latest Release / Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8btdabl33ogx ... e.zip?dl=1

-----------------

It is recommended that you play the mod with DOSBox as it has not been tested on original hardware. DOSBox can be download from here: http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1
Simply drag and drop Ocflore.bat onto the DOSBox executable to start playing.

I hope you enjoy playing Operation Ocflore!

Like any fresh release there will likely be a few bugs or tile issues that I have missed. Let me know if you come across any problems and I'll get them sorted out! There are currently a few minor issues that I can't work out that are discussed below.

-----------------

After 6 years I have finished what was original titled "The Ocflore Project"! It's been more of a passion project than anything else and I've had a good time exploring pixel and tile art as part of this project. The patch work is nothing ground-breaking and I found myself getting a bit impatient waiting on patches or trying to incorporate things that were beyond my ability. Some of the enemy behaviours are largely unchanged so hopefully the level design makes up for that! I'll probably take a bit of a modding break once the kinks are ironed out of this project as I'm a bit burnt out!

55Aavenue and Kohntarkosz have done a really outstanding job of capturing a unique atmosphere for the game in the music tracks they have composed for the mod. Thanks so much guys for the amazing efforts you've put into this! I still have to message KosmynC64 about lending a hand for a few more tracks in an upcoming release after I write this post!

A big thankyou to Levellass for a hand with some of the more difficult patches and thanks to lemm for helping me work out how to swap out colours in the palette way back when I started this!

I was able to incorporate some of Kate's title screen adjustments so thank you very much Kate! Everyone has been very encouraging and helpful in the original thread for this mod and I'm incredibly grateful for that!

-----------------

I thought that it would also be insightful to let you guys see some of the illustrations and bitmap files that I used in the development of this game. Warning that these files will include SPOILERS, especially the bitmaps.

Here they are: https://www.dropbox.com/s/krdfj4ha4nw13 ... t.zip?dl=0

-----------------

Here are a few issues I'm aware of in the game (any help sorting them would be appreciated!):
- apparently the size of the hitbox of the schoolfish can not be changed? The replacement ("Pererro") looks like it's clipping through the ground sometimes because of this. The hitbox values can be edited in 4SPRITES.TXT but this doesn't change the size in game.
- the unnamed stone robot enemy (walking Blue Bird replacement) will sometime get stuck at walls.
- the Petraped (Mimrock replacement) will occasionally stop moving altogether.
- less of an issue is that originally I had planned for the inchworm replacement (Feathered Vendrizi Grub) to be killable by pogo. The patches that enabled this interfered with the skypest replacement (Enkri Meager) being shootable. This isn't a big issue and makes the game slightly harder. The patches that enabled the Grub to be killable by pogo is still in the patchfile, although commented out.

-----------------

Enjoy playing Operation Ocflore!
Last edited by Bubbatom on Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: Operation Ocflore

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Interesting. I'll definitely give this a go later today.

About that schoolfish hitbox issue: The schoolfish uses "full" clipping, which means that the hitbox for tile collision detection is hard-coded in the executable. The sprite hitbox is only used for sprite collision detection.

The flying bluebird also uses full clipping while in fly mode. Maybe that's why your replacement gets stuck. The hard-coded hitbox for the bird is relatively big and even the bird could gt stuck because of this big hitbox.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

daaaannnnggg!!!
it's finally here! now I have to drop all my plans for the weekend. Operation Ocflore here I come!
damn I'm super thrilled!!! the way you use colour makes this mod a game changer already. it's gonna be hard to compete against such superb graphics. impressive! excellent!
out now (link) : Image
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I'm so used to call this "The Ocflore Project" that now "Operation Ocflore" sounds odd to me. But that doesn't matter. Congrats on finally releasing your project! I'm looking forward to play it tonight.

"After 6 years I have finished what was original titled "The Ocflore Project"! It's been more of a passion project than anything else and I've had a good time exploring pixel and tile art as part of this project. The patch work is nothing ground-breaking and I found myself getting a bit impatient waiting on patches or trying to incorporate things that were beyond my ability. Some of the enemy behaviours are largely unchanged so hopefully the level design makes up for that! I'll probably take a bit of a modding break once the kinks are ironed out of this project as I'm a bit burnt out!"

I feel you there..
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Congrats on the release!

Already copied to my RG350, will play this.
Bonevelous
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bonevelous »

Looks like excellent work, will definitely check it out :)
Check out Flixxy the Fox: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6378

Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

I'm just a couple of levels in and man, this mod is addictive!
the graphics are phenomenal. so much detail. this is incredible. and the sound effects... splendid! I'm in love!

Last edited by Nisaba on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:12, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 About that schoolfish hitbox issue: The schoolfish uses "full" clipping, which means that the hitbox for tile collision detection is hard-coded in the executable. The sprite hitbox is only used for sprite collision detection.

The flying bluebird also uses full clipping while in fly mode. Maybe that's why your replacement gets stuck. The hard-coded hitbox for the bird is relatively big and even the bird could gt stuck because of this big hitbox.
Hmm, there's something new I've learnt! I've somewhat remedied the problem by adjusting foreground tile properties in the levels where I've used schoolfish. I'll wait a bit for any other issues people come across in the next few days before I upload another revision.

I've used a patch that splits the walking bluebird and flying bluebird into two separate enemies so this could also be to blame for the replacement getting stuck?
Nisaba wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 17:07 I'm just a few levels in and man, this mod is addictive!
the graphics are phenomenal. so much detail. this is incredible. and the sound effects... splendid! I'm in love!
Thanks so much! Glad you're enjoying it Nisaba, would be a blast being able to play this on a handheld!
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Bubbatom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 23:50 [...] I've somewhat remedied the problem by adjusting foreground tile properties [...]. I'll wait a bit for any other issues people come across in the next few days before I upload another revision.
speaking of which. In level 5 (Frigid Quarry) I came across a few misplaced tiles which let Keen glitch through walls. to see it in action, just follow the link: https://i.postimg.cc/qMcWxMKp/OO-wall-glitch.gif

Bubbatom wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 23:50 [...] would be a blast being able to play this on a handheld!
well, technically you could. there are a bunch of makers (and wonderful communities) out there who design and produce power full handhelds even for a budged. for e.g.: https://retromimi.com/collections/handh ... me-console
(kudos to @Doomjedi who shared this link with me and is part of this open source Retro Game Handheld community)
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

Nisaba wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 0:39 speaking of which. In level 5 (Frigid Quarry) I came across a few misplaced tiles which let Keen glitch through walls. to see it in action, just follow the link: https://i.postimg.cc/qMcWxMKp/OO-wall-glitch.gif
Thanks for this! Just fixed it up, wrong tile property!
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I just noticed that your game uses regular scrolling in the underwater level (L17) instead of the world-map scrolling that's normally used in the Well of Wishes in Keen 4. That means Keen has to move very close to the top and bottom of the screen to make the screen scroll. Is that the intended behavior or was this just a side-effect of enabling regular level exits for this level?
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Gridlock
Vorticon Elite

Post by Gridlock »

Congratulations on the mod release! You've got me beat on development time. Six years is quite a long period, so I'm sure it must be a relief. I'm looking forward to giving this game a try. I've been super impressed with the environment art you've managed to create for both this project and Suburb Shenanigans.
Armageddon Begins Again. The Alphamatic has arrived.

Atroxian Realm: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3536
The Alphamatic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4086
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Very impressive!! Like suburb, once again the graphics are amazing, and there is lots of really cool detail. The slightly different colour palette adds uniqueness and gives this mod a nice look. Several levels in so far and thoroughly enjoying it. This mod is very good at getting the player immersed in its world; I really feel like I'm on Ocflore V.

Mods like this are why I don't need a play station 10...or whatever number them kids are onto these days...
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

it has been mentioned before but again, this mod truly provides an engrossing environment within which I can immerse myself. I really do have the feels like I'm part of the Ocflore V story. phenomenal!

and again: the colour scheme is just fabulous. I'm really blown away by the sense of detail. just splendid! the look and feel, the environment art... marvelous!
obviously the benchmark bar has now been raised considerably higher for upcoming mods. (now I've gotta overhaul my tilesets...)

pls let me nit-pick a lil bit. In the help section "the game" I came across a typo. sheet 13: it should say Ocflore instead of Oclfore
https://i.postimg.cc/Sx12T9Y4/ck4patch-033.png
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Oclfore is like what fucl is in this forum 😛 Nice touch!

While I also find the world very immersive and beautiful, I find the 3 races occupying the world bit confusing. At first I was convinced that I need to fight for one race and stun the representatives of the other two. But then it turns out I need to stun the representatives of the race I'm fighting for as well? What? Why?

As for the level design, it is without a doubt outstanding. I really like it and imko it is better than Suburbs, but that's because I like exploring for secrets (one thing that Suburbs really missed). And this world has plenty of secrets to find. Lots of details and cool switches, well balanced difficulty, etc. Ammo, as in your previous mod, is sparse though. Players are required to be very careful with their shots.

World map is really interesting and cool as well. It makes you want to explore and see it all, just like when I was playing the original Galaxy keens for the first time. I was surprised to find the diving suit so early in the game, but switching between water and land while progressing through the world map is really cool.

So far, the game overal feels like an official Keen game to me, more so than I expected it to be.

While I am at it, I would aslo like to mention how cool the slightly altered sound effects are! Also good job on the music itself. It really fit the universe and helps to dive deeper in it.