Bazooka Wowbagger

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
CSquaredInk
Grunt

Bazooka Wowbagger

Post by CSquaredInk »

Hey All-

Happy Keen Day! -Just wanted to announce that we have a new total Keen conversion coming out very soon called:
"Bazooka Wowbagger: New World Over"!

This is a humongous update to the old Bazooka Wowbagger mod..We wanted it all done for Keen Day, but had some roadblocks we couldn't get around quick enough..But we will be dropping it here very VERY soon...

Featuring: An all-original soundtrack, 16 sprawling levels, and brand new mechanics :garg
In the meantime, here are some screenshots for your viewing pleasure!! Enjoy!

Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Re: Bazooka Wowbagger

Post by Benvolio »

Oh man I love Bazooka Wowbagger and this looks incredible.

Forgive my utter ignorance but were you affiliated with the original mod and/or the band all those years ago?
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Is that VGA? Is it possible? :eek I don't think I've ever seen VGA graphics in a Keen mod before.
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Roobar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 16:05 Is that VGA? Is it possible? :eek I don't think I've ever seen VGA graphics in a Keen mod before.
I don't think it's real VGA. Looks a lot like Commander Genius with true color tile graphics replacing the original EGA graphics. Also, Keen Vorticons doesn't have a score box, except in Commander Genius.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
CSquaredInk
Grunt

Post by CSquaredInk »

Benvolio wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 21:54 Oh man I love Bazooka Wowbagger and this looks incredible.

Forgive my utter ignorance but were you affiliated with the original mod and/or the band all those years ago?
Thanks! Wow, that was a like a zillion years ago.... Really appreciate it!
Yes, I founded the group, Paperface that this was originally based on. I think the original stands on its own as a mod, but I always wanted to do a more complete game with an original soundtrack. Bazooka represents literally years of work. What started as a creative flash in college kept evolving and becoming more fleshed out. I would go through occasional phases of working on it and I kind of finally decided to wrap it up over the last year and a half (although many other adventures kept me busy as well), and with the incredibly lucky advantage of having a girlfriend who is a great illustrator and designer and video game aficionado, we were able to finish deeper visuals for Bazooka's world.

Hopefully I'll be posting the game in the next few days!

Thanks!! :D
CSquaredInk
Grunt

Post by CSquaredInk »

Roobar wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 16:05 Is that VGA? Is it possible? :eek I don't think I've ever seen VGA graphics in a Keen mod before.
Yes, the color palatte is possible due to Gerhard and Tulip's excellent Commander Genius. I started with the original 16 color DOS colors, and expanded from there...
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Very nice, tricksy color palette design looks good
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
CSquaredInk
Grunt

Post by CSquaredInk »

Here is Bazooka Wowbagger: New World Over - https://we.tl/t-ZCGbXhnPDI
Here is Commander Genius, which is needed to play: http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download.php

I have so much to say about Bazooka Wowbagger: New World Over. But I will spare you here and just let you enjoy this aaaaaalmost done complete conversion.
This must be played with Commander Genius -
Put your unzipped BazWowNu folder into the Commander Genius "games" directory and run Commander Genius.
When it asks you "what patch?" choose "PATCH"
You may have to play around with graphical settings. I get best results on different computers with Windowed Mode, but Fullscreen looks great on some machines.

I wanted it to be 100% complete, but you flatten down one issue and ten more pop up, so I figured, I need feedback and help anyways, I should put this out as a public beta. And so here we are! The game is playable and provides hours of enjoyment.

The gameplay and levels and soundtrack are there, but the ending and menus and story and "about" are all being worked on. However, I can't just let this sit here on my computer without sharing it any longer.

I am beyond stoked for all the great Keen fans, modders, hackers, and forum-posters to experience this. Commander Keen represents a special piece of art and culture in my life - the Keen community represents lots of amazing, creative, clever people and you have brought so much into my life. I hope I can give something back with this.

I plan on releasing updates and doing a lot with this - it's been literally years of work.

Again, so much to say but I'm so very tired.
A few quick things I will say:
The download is large because of the high quality .ogg music files.
The soundtrack is a big part of this game and the songs can all be found in the "music" folder (go figure) for your listening pleasure.
I will optimize file size and these types of things as development continues.
The ending is written, but is not implemented properly.
I am looking for help from folks who want to make this a perfect Mod!
I am also interested in potentially making this a standalone game!

Any comments, feedback, encouragement, thoughts, please talk, I'd love to hear it.
I hope everyone is doing as well as possible -
Chris Merritt (music, level design, producer, creator, graphics)
with Casey Davenport (graphics/graphic design, character development, writing)
Last edited by CSquaredInk on Sat Apr 04, 2020 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Congrats on the release! I see you've done a lot of modding and a lot of chaotic things are happening. It feels like playing a different game, which is cool.

However, after downloading it and trying it, I've experienced some issues that prevented me to do so. They're all Commander Genius faults though. Like, for example, I cannot change my controls. What is the pogo button? Seems like even the first level needs it and cannot be beaten without pogo. Or, that the full screen doesn't work. After all those years CG still has these problems... Or, worst of all, that it crashes. After that crash, the game won't even start. Now I need to reinstall it and will try again.
CSquaredInk
Grunt

Post by CSquaredInk »

Thanks for your feedback!
I've personally have had good luck with the control configuration, but I too can confirm I've experienced various issues with CG.
*Hint: You can try other levels first... It's a somewhat open map... Also, just try every possible thing on the first level (you should warp to a special area) There are portals to this particular area hidden all around the game world*

Thanks again - I hope you keep exploring!! :) :garg
CSquaredInk
Grunt

Post by CSquaredInk »

UPDATED: The link for the game stopped working for some reason- sorry guys! :crazy
NEW LINK IS UP in previous post...Also here for your convenience - https://we.tl/t-ZCGbXhnPDI

MORE UPDATES to the game are on the way!!! Keep playing!
alexawiliams784
Grunt

Post by alexawiliams784 »

Seriously Guys? huh!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Well, I like it and it plays well here. Issues can be ironed out. The good thing CG being opensource, everyone can help creating something special:

https://youtu.be/_u7Y0VHuusQ
Having fun developing stuff...
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

I missed to download this, and the link in CSquared's posts ceased to work. Can someone reupload it, please? :begging

EDIT: The mod can be downloaded here now, thanks to Roobar for providing it. Additionally, thanks to gerstrong (provided a slightly earlier version) and Benvolio for replying. :)
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net