The Armageddon App

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Armageddon App

Post by Syllypryde »

.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 It's happening......AGAIN!?!?!?!?!?!?

https://postimg.cc/S2vwV6p5

https://www.dropbox.com/preview/PCKF%20 ... e=personal
:bloody :bloody Oh no!

But you're dropbox links don't work Syllypryde. You need to click the create link button and then paste that.

Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Hey Syllypryde,
if you could, please replace the last digit of your download link with a 1. this way one can directly download your files instead of getting a redirect to dropbox.com. this makes things a bit easier for all of us.

also there is a trick to display dropbox-images here on the forums. change this...

Code: Select all

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hihq2zta9fxe0rb/ck5patch_010.gif?dl=0
...into that:

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hihq2zta9fxe0rb/ck5patch_010.gif?dl=1[/img]
result:
out now (link) : Image
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:37 It's happening......AGAIN!?!?!?!?!?!?
You're getting killed by the Shikadi Master's shockwave attack. You know, the things that spawn when the master teleports out or the master's energy ball hits the ground.

The shockwave objects will stop moving when they're too far off screen and the game also won't remove them when they're too far off screen. So they just sit there and don't do anything until they become visible again. You don't actually see them after using the door since they get removed when they touch (and kill) Keen. Normally you'd have some invincibilty to protect you when you go through doors, but you don't actually get any invincibility at all while opening the security door and then going through it.

Here's a patch that will give you about 2.2 seconds of invincibility when opening the security door:

%patch $AD6C $BC39W $009BW $EB $61
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Nisaba wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 20:06 Hey Syllypryde,
if you could, please replace the last digit of your download link with a 1. this way one can directly download your files instead of getting a redirect to dropbox.com. this makes things a bit easier for all of us.

also there is a trick to display dropbox-images here on the forums. change this...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hihq2zta9fxe0rb/ck5patch_010.gif?dl=0
...into that:

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hihq2zta9fxe0rb/ck5patch_010.gif?dl=1[/img]
I apologize for my newbie ignorance as well as my laziness. I have very little knowledge of Dropbox, plus you did post earlier in this thread or another about changing the 0 to a 1 in Dropbox links for direct download and obviously I couldn't be bothered to do so. I was attempting to upload my save file from my hard run where the glitch is happening. I was also attempting to upload a .gif recorded from Dosbox showing what the glitch looks like and let people know it existed if for some reason the glitch could not be reproduced from the save file. I experienced this same glitch on my normal runs, so for the .gif I dropped down the menus to show I was in hard mode and this was clearly a different save file.

My last 10,000 points for a perfect score and the final Wifi generator are in that room I am entering and the glitch is killing me after I enter the door. I played and replayed the final level 8 times before the glitch mysteriously didn't kill me so I was finally able to beat the game with the perfect score on normal. But on hard the final level is extremely difficult even with in-level saving I have no intention of replaying it half dozen times and hoping I don't die on the other end of the door. Obviously I could just God Mode my way through that door, but I choose to finish the game the right way.
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:28 You're getting killed by the Shikadi Master's shockwave attack. You know, the things that spawn when the master teleports out or the master's energy ball hits the ground.

The shockwave objects will stop moving when they're too far off screen and the game also won't remove them when they're too far off screen. So they just sit there and don't do anything until they become visible again. You don't actually see them after using the door since they get removed when they touch (and kill) Keen. Normally you'd have some invincibilty to protect you when you go through doors, but you don't actually get any invincibility at all while opening the security door and then going through it.

Here's a patch that will give you about 2.2 seconds of invincibility when opening the security door:

%patch $AD6C $BC39W $009BW $EB $61
It is very interesting to see you mention that. For some strange reason I thought that's what was happening as well. I never saw the shockwaves when I went through the door and it was happening at seemingly random times, it didn't make sense to me. By the way, the patch you just gave me, where exactly do I add it to the patch file? Does it have to be in a specific place or can I add it anywhere? I'm asking because like I said before I know little to nothing about patching.
Last edited by Syllypryde on Tue May 19, 2020 21:50, edited 2 times in total.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

I guess I posted the solution while you were still writing that post?
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Lol, yes I was.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:39By the way, the patch you just gave me, where exactly do I add it to the patch file? Does it have to be in a specific place or can I add it anywhere? I'm asking because like I said before I know little to nothing about patching.
You can put it anywhere between the "%ext ck5" line and the "%end" line, just make sure not to insert it in the middle of a %patch command that spans multiple lines in the file. You can insert the new patch line right after the "%ext" line and it should work fine.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Interesting! I didn't realize you didn't get door invincibility when you go through Keycard doors, or else I wouldn't have put the Shikadi Master there. Thanks for the patch K1n9_Duk3!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:53
Syllypryde wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:39By the way, the patch you just gave me, where exactly do I add it to the patch file? Does it have to be in a specific place or can I add it anywhere? I'm asking because like I said before I know little to nothing about patching.
You can put it anywhere between the "%ext ck5" line and the "%end" line, just make sure not to insert it in the middle of a %patch command that spans multiple lines in the file. You can insert the new patch line right after the "%ext" line and it should work fine.
Thank you, I appreciate it.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

55Aavenue wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:58 Interesting! I didn't realize you didn't get door invincibility when you go through Keycard doors
Neither did I before invesitgating this. I originally thought that the invincibility was just running out too soon because Keen has to wait until the door opens. But when you think about it, the keycard doors were always used as level exits in Keen 5, so they didn't need to give Keen invincibility.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 22:10
55Aavenue wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:58 Interesting! I didn't realize you didn't get door invincibility when you go through Keycard doors
Neither did I before invesitgating this. I originally thought that the invincibility was just running out too soon because Keen has to wait until the door opens. But when you think about it, the keycard doors were always used as level exits in Keen 5, so they didn't need to give Keen invincibility.
Here is keypad door invincibility via CK Guy's Keen 5 level pack- Level 7: The Atrium

Why does the .gif play so slow? When Dosbox records a video it it puts it in .avi. Does the conversion from .avi to .gif cause this bogging down?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Syllypryde wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 13:26 [...] Why does the .gif play so slow? When Dosbox records a video it puts it in .avi. Does the conversion from .avi to .gif cause this bogging down?
Most likely it depends on the parameters you are using. so, which parameters did you pick? I assume you are using some sort of online service, don't you? just check if you can alter the output frame rate.
I'm using the ffmpeg libraries/program for format transcoding. it does the job very accurately 'cause you can tweak each and every possible parameter. are you faimilar with the command line promt? if so, I could send you a step-by-step tutorial for turning DOSBox' .avi files into gif's. here's a sneak:
viewtopic.php?p=86046#p86046
but I'm happy to go into more detail if needed.
out now (link) : Image
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Syllypryde wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 13:26Here is keypad door invincibility via CK Guy's Keen 5 level pack- Level 7: The Atrium
Reading comprehension:
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 21:28you don't actually get any invincibility at all while opening the security door and then going through it.
Your example shows Keen getting invincibility when going through a door that is already open (at which point it technically isn't a security door anymore as far as the code is concerned, just a regular door).
Hail to the K1n9, baby!