The Armageddon App

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Armageddon App

Post by Syllypryde »

Excuse the hell out of me for making an honest mistake and trying to be helpful. I can see I overstayed my welcome on this thread. So I will move on and let others have a chance to post, play the game and share their thoughts.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Nisaba
Janitress

Post by Nisaba »

Random post... thought this might be of interest:
StupidBunny wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2010 22:27 Yeah, I know, ComputerWrist gag number 9001. Whatever, I had fun making it. :P

Levellass wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:35 Keen spends time at the Nevervort ranch.

out now (link) : Image
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Ok I've updated the download link to version 1.2, and this should be the final update. I'm pretty happy with where its at now, and I think we've got all the major bugs worked out at this point.

Here's are the changes/fixes:
  • Status window can now show if you have 0, 1 or 2 keycards (I'm aware that having 3 or more keycards will cause gibberish to appear in place of the keycard icon, but this not a problem because it isn't possible at any point in the game to have more than 2 cards at once. Unless you cheat)
  • Keen's door invincibility now includes keycard doors (patch provided by K1n9_Duk3 to eliminate the issue Syllypryde discovered where the Shikadi Master at the very end of the game could kill you as you went through the final security door)
  • Tile placement corrections in Hydro Sphere (fixes areas where you could get stuck which were pointed out by Roobar)
  • Foreground tile corrections in Cargo Bay A
Thanks again to everyone who has checked this one out so far! Hope you enjoyed it!
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I played again and I think this is one of the most cool mods\levelpacks done

I didn't find all the score but I reached the special ending. I loved the part when Molly tells Billy's parents that his boyfriend is a Bloog and the title of the next episode, Aliens DATE my babysitter
I got some difficulties with the Volte-Faces and those Green Spherefuls. I hated them
In this gameplay I found all the secret levels, but I didn't took all the Kegs'o Vitalin. In these days I'll complete this mod's wikipage so it'll be complete.

Looking forward your next mod :D
Best regards,
DarkAle
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Looks like I've missed a lot of cool mods over the years. Hopefully I can find some try to play this one.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

I played this mod for the third time because I like it a lot. This time I played at hard. I found all the 13 Kegs o'Vitalin and I collected about 1604400 score. I found also the two secret levels (Korath Moon and Asteroid Belt) and some errors:

In the first one: When the Koraths, Shelleys or Explosive Gas Tanks are shooted by Shikadi Masters, Shockshunds or Robo Red, Keen's shoot appears instead
In the other ones: Tile errors
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

I played through The Armageddon App and must say, it was one of the best mods I have played! It's definitely 5 stars of 5 for me, the only other 5* mod being Atroxian Realm.
I liked basically everything - the overall idea and theme, level design, easter eggs, secrets, music etc. I especially liked how Shikadi were shown as "normal" people who have their homes and offices on the Omegamatic, use vending machines and go for a coffee, the Omegamatic itself is shown in believable and realistic way having both living parts as well as engineering and technical facilities. Koraths having their villages and mines which got intruded and occupied by Shikadi, and Koraths protesting against their intrusion by various signs.
When I for example compare this with the Alphamatic, other Keen5-themed mod made by Gridlock, the Alphamatic was just a very abstract de-humanized machine full of mazes with moving platform, switch and door puzzles, the Armageddon App presented the exact opposite humanized side.
Finding secrets and figuring out various tricks was extremely fun. During my first run I missed both secret levels and lot of score, I got far below 80% of perfect score. I was motivated so much to play through this game once more, targeting a perfect run with both secret levels found and reaching score as close to perfect score as possible. The first secret level was pretty obvious about where it is and how to get there (both hints by Korath elders were directed this way), I just missed the important step during my first run. Finding the second one was pretty crazy and I spent enough effort to find it. I must specifically highlight that I never used game's built-in cheats, neither I looked at any walkthroughs or hints written in this forum, I was FIGURING OUT EVERYTHNG ON MY OWN, which was the MOST valuable experience from this game! And I played on Normal difficulty, so reaching some of the secret areas was, eh, you know what.
I loved the Likes and Dislikes mechanics, and the soundtrack was a masterpiece. All tracks sounded good and were fitting their levels, kudos to you for composing those on your own! I must also mention that it went very well with the Adlib/Sound Blaster soundfont, whereas for example Atroxian Realm's soundtrack, althrough being also a masterpiece, quite suffered from it.
My second playthrough is still in progress, still very curious about the extended ending sequence!
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Hisymak wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 18:25
Thank you for your feedback I really appreciate your comments! I really put a lot of effort and passion into making this mod so I'm really happy you and others have enjoyed it so much!

Its really cool that people are taking the time to find and enjoy the secrets and notice the all easter eggs I put into this. Very cool that you played through it without cheats or internet spoilers, just as we would have done in the 90s haha.

I appreciate your comments on the soundtrack; I love to make music and I spent a many many hours and the soundtrack alone. My goal was to make as epic of a keen game soundtrack as possible with a unique song for every level.
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

Just some experience I'd like to share.
The monster that absolutely most often causes death to me is Robopest. It's flying in so unpredictable pattern it's hard to shoot, but very easy to touch! Except monsters, the most common way I die is by a hazard or falling off the level.
Now only 2 last levels are remaining and I have over 14000000 score, which is more than 500000 better than my first run. Curious how far from perfect I will get.
And one question: Is the soundtrack recorded and available somewhere on Youtube? Sometimes I'd like just to casually listen to the music, if it is good enough. All I found about this mod is just some walkthrough made by german-speaker. Note that I never watch any walkthroughs before I play through whole game in order not to spoil the game for me and lose the first-time-player's impression, which is the most valuable experience. Except maybe a trailer, which is how I discover the game's existence. The built-in demos do this job the best!
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

You are going to be very close to the perfect score, you might even get it. Definitly should be enough to trigger the extended ending.

Regarding the soundtrack, I've had a few requests for this so I am going to be uploading the soundtrack for Armageddon App and for Short Circuit Oracle onto youtube. I'm currently working on that and will post links when they are done.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

55Aavenue wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 13:13 You are going to be very close to the perfect score, you might even get it. Definitly should be enough to trigger the extended ending.

Regarding the soundtrack, I've had a few requests for this so I am going to be uploading the soundtrack for Armageddon App and for Short Circuit Oracle onto youtube. I'm currently working on that and will post links when they are done.
How many people have reported a perfect score for both Short Circuit Oracle and The Armageddon App besides me?
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Syllypryde wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 21:55 How many people have reported a perfect score for both Short Circuit Oracle and The Armageddon App besides me?
To my knowledge, no one
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

55Aavenue wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:05 To my knowledge, no one
Wow really? It kind of surprises me considering the praise both games got and the number of people within the community who have played both. Now I know I confirmed my perfect score in TAA with a screenshot, but I don't recall doing the same for SCO. I looked back in both threads and Banana reported he achieved the 1st perfect score in SCO (the 1st perfect score before you changed the Lifewater Flasks to 20,000 points). No one else has reported the 2nd perfect score.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

No one else has reported the 2nd perfect score.
My highest score was 1604400. If I play Short Circuit Oracle and this mod again I'll probably get the perfect score
Hisymak
Vortininja

Post by Hisymak »

55Aavenue wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 13:13 You are going to be very close to the perfect score, you might even get it. Definitly should be enough to trigger the extended ending.
Oh, unfortunately nope, I did not reach the perfect score.
During my second run I got 1654200 points (for the first run it was 1196100). I was feeling pretty confident I found all the secrets and collected all the possible points (managed to collect all in the 1st level), probably missed some minor secrets here and there so I would get no less than 1700000 but no, I actually missed so much points! Uh, I'm not going for any third run and would like to take a rest instead, I will be very looking forward to the sequel and new interesting and funny ideas! Hope it is progressing well.
During my play through Short Circuit Oracle (which I finished almost exactly 2 years ago, on 1st april 2019, what a coincidence!) I got 707,200 points, the readme said perfect score was 767,500 points. I remember I probably missed the big secret in the first level.