The Armageddon Continues - An Ultra Omegamatic Sequel (Demo)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

The Armageddon Continues - An Ultra Omegamatic Sequel (Demo)

Post by DarkAle »

Hi, everyone.
I'm making an Ultra Omegamatic Sequel called:
The Armageddon Continues
For now it's only a demo with 3 levels

Link for the download:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qx7f9pzo ... 5.rar/file

Enjoy!
Last edited by DarkAle on Wed May 27, 2020 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
Awesome-Keener
Vortininja

Re: The Armageddon Continues - An Ultra Omegamatic Sequel

Post by Awesome-Keener »

After a playing for little bit I noticed that the game freezes, or quits out here when you do the Disabled Base level first and then go on to this one.

But when you do The Coast level first it plays fine.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Awesome-Keener wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 19:08 After a playing for little bit I noticed that the game freezes, or quits out here when you do the Disabled Base level first and then go on to this one.

Strange. When I tested the game it worked fine. The only problem was the sound of the level's start that didn't work
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Judging by the first level, the difficulty curve seems much better in this one. I liked the snowy hills background. The atmosphere of the levels do a good job of making it seem like Keen is somewhere very cold, although I think maybe you forgot to animate the water?

If I could offer a suggestion, this applies to this episode and also the Ultra Omegamatic. However you are editing the music is not working well. Its making it way too loud. You need to bring down the track volumes and/or the note velocities. I also think you are loosing midi data somewhere in the process because the pitch bends aren't working either. This was especially noticeable in the Ultra Omegamatic levels that played "Make it Tighter". That song sounds really off without the pitch bends. I'm not actually sure why the music is being edited at all, as there doesn't seem to be any new music? Are you just wanting to add in songs from Keen 6 and Keen 4?
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

55Aavenue wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 20:16 Judging by the first level, the difficulty curve seems much better in this one. I liked the snowy hills background. The atmosphere of the levels do a good job of making it seem like Keen is somewhere very cold, although I think maybe you forgot to animate the water?

If I could offer a suggestion, this applies to this episode and also the Ultra Omegamatic. However you are editing the music is not working well. Its making it way too loud. You need to bring down the track volumes and/or the note velocities. I also think you are loosing midi data somewhere in the process because the pitch bends aren't working either. This was especially noticeable in the Ultra Omegamatic levels that played "Make it Tighter". That song sounds really off without the pitch bends. I'm not actually sure why the music is being edited at all, as there doesn't seem to be any new music? Are you just wanting to add in songs from Keen 6 and Keen 4?
In this mod, I'll use Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate my Babysitter remixes, but when I'll make the full and you'll play level 12 with w + f10 cheat, there will be a track that I'll use in Keen 15
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Awesome-Keener wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 19:08 After a playing for little bit I noticed that the game freezes, or quits out here when you do the Disabled Base level first and then go on to this one.

Well, this took me a while. After confirming that all the patches themselves aren't causing any obvious trouble, I tried to narrow it down by disabling more and more aspects of the patch file. I eventually got to the point where I only had the new MAPHEAD file patched in, no graphics, no audio, no tile attributes. (Before anyone asks: I was using the original AUDIO.CK5 and EGAGRAPH.CK5 files from Keen 5 v1.4 at this point, not the ones from this mod.) Still got the same problem.

Then I realized that the world map is way too small in this demo. The code that opens or closes the elevator doors on the world map uses hard-coded locations and the level is way too small for that code to work correctly. That means the game is corrupting memory by writing to parts of the level that don't actually exist, which then causes the game to lock up or crash DOSBox, depending on the circumstances.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
55Aavenue
Vortininja

Post by 55Aavenue »

Alessandro wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 20:58 In this mod, I'll use Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate my Babysitter remixes, but when I'll make the full and you'll play level 12 with w + f10 cheat, there will be a track that I'll use in Keen 15
So are these remixes midis you downloaded and are converting to IMF?
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

55Aavenue wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 23:03
Alessandro wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 20:58 In this mod, I'll use Goodbye Galaxy and Aliens Ate my Babysitter remixes, but when I'll make the full and you'll play level 12 with w + f10 cheat, there will be a track that I'll use in Keen 15
So are these remixes midis you downloaded and are converting to IMF?
Yes, they are
K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 22:24

Well, this took me a while. After confirming that all the patches themselves aren't causing any obvious trouble, I tried to narrow it down by disabling more and more aspects of the patch file. I eventually got to the point where I only had the new MAPHEAD file patched in, no graphics, no audio, no tile attributes. (Before anyone asks: I was using the original AUDIO.CK5 and EGAGRAPH.CK5 files from Keen 5 v1.4 at this point, not the ones from this mod.) Still got the same problem.

Then I realized that the world map is way too small in this demo. The code that opens or closes the elevator doors on the world map uses hard-coded locations and the level is way too small for that code to work correctly. That means the game is corrupting memory by writing to parts of the level that don't actually exist, which then causes the game to lock up or crash DOSBox, depending on the circumstances.
In the full I'll fix it
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Armageddon Continues - An Ultra Omegamatic Sequel (Demo)

Post by DarkAle »

krivulak
Grunt

Post by krivulak »

I just finished playing the game and sadly have to say - dude, slow down your horses!

From the beginning I wasn't sure what to expect, but since I know development took only weeks it didn't look too good. I wasn't disappointed per se because - sorry to say - I wasn't expecting anything amazing...
I think you have big potential, you know your stuff, but Keen is a game focusing on details, colours, map layout... Fifty shades of blue is possible to maintain, but it needs way more careful color picking.
Right as I started playing, I noticed another problem. Slowing down original music and making it WAY louder is not a good choice... My head started to hurt after only a few minutes because it just doesn't feel right.
Next - you didn't understand many of the structures - floating buttons, walls in the middle of the forest etc. The Volte-face being replaced by goplats?
There are so many easily obtainable 1UPs and sugar bags it destroys the point of getting them. It strips the gameplay of all competition, you have no desire to work for that single sugar bag that is so tricky to get to if you have ton of others. Also number of the pickups is ridiculous. At the ninja fort I had almost 500 shots - that is WAY too much.
What I also didn't like is how linear this is. You have no control over the order in which you can play the levels. In the game you very often arrive to a door and a single way to the key.
At the first couple of levels I thought that there is no detours at all, but then Ninja Fort arrived with its mandatory detour which was SO INCREDIBLY LONG that it almost made me quit the game alltogether. When I got to the pack of doors and found out that red gem was missing, I just F10+E-d out of the level because I am not going to spend another ten minutes walking through the empty halls.
The last level I am not going to talk about, just no.

I hope I am not looking too much like a jerk now, I sure didn't want to, but this is clearly quantity over quality. It isn't a race, take your time with the development. Many mods have years of development into them. Just look at Ceilick's The Universe Is Toast trilogy. Episode 7 wasn't percieved too good either, many people didn't like many of the aspects. And then Ceilick made episode 9 which is considered one of the best mods. And revised the Krodacia once again making it better. Keep going, I am sure you'll sort everything out and make yourself part of the modding legends :)
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

krivulak wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:36 I just finished playing the game and sadly have to say - dude, slow down your horses!

From the beginning I wasn't sure what to expect, but since I know development took only weeks it didn't look too good. I wasn't disappointed per se because - sorry to say - I wasn't expecting anything amazing...
I think you have big potential, you know your stuff, but Keen is a game focusing on details, colours, map layout... Fifty shades of blue is possible to maintain, but it needs way more careful color picking.
Right as I started playing, I noticed another problem. Slowing down original music and making it WAY louder is not a good choice... My head started to hurt after only a few minutes because it just doesn't feel right.
Next - you didn't understand many of the structures - floating buttons, walls in the middle of the forest etc. The Volte-face being replaced by goplats?
There are so many easily obtainable 1UPs and sugar bags it destroys the point of getting them. It strips the gameplay of all competition, you have no desire to work for that single sugar bag that is so tricky to get to if you have ton of others. Also number of the pickups is ridiculous. At the ninja fort I had almost 500 shots - that is WAY too much.
What I also didn't like is how linear this is. You have no control over the order in which you can play the levels. In the game you very often arrive to a door and a single way to the key.
At the first couple of levels I thought that there is no detours at all, but then Ninja Fort arrived with its mandatory detour which was SO INCREDIBLY LONG that it almost made me quit the game alltogether. When I got to the pack of doors and found out that red gem was missing, I just F10+E-d out of the level because I am not going to spend another ten minutes walking through the empty halls.
The last level I am not going to talk about, just no.

I hope I am not looking too much like a jerk now, I sure didn't want to, but this is clearly quantity over quality. It isn't a race, take your time with the development. Many mods have years of development into them. Just look at Ceilick's The Universe Is Toast trilogy. Episode 7 wasn't percieved too good either, many people didn't like many of the aspects. And then Ceilick made episode 9 which is considered one of the best mods. And revised the Krodacia once again making it better. Keep going, I am sure you'll sort everything out and make yourself part of the modding legends :)
Probably I made this game in a month because I make mods 2 or three hours a day. The last level I did it that way because I was undecided about the ending. Now I'm making the possible for make my Keen 14 one of the best mods

P. S. This is the demo topic