The Armageddon Continues - Version 1.1 released

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

The Armageddon Continues - Version 1.1 released

Post by DarkAle »

Hi, everyone.
I finished my mod: The Armageddon Continues

Link for the download the version 1.1 (newest version) :https://www.mediafire.com/file/jr5dka2k ... 7.rar/file

Link to download a video of Shikadi Master's new sounds and shots:https://www.mediafire.com/file/dgytrpu7 ... .webm/file

I hope that you'll like it :D
Last edited by DarkAle on Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:31, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Robot Apocalypse!
Episode 13: The Ultra Omegamatic viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6802
Episode 14: Secret of the Sorcerer viewtopic.php?t=13031
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Armageddon Continues - Version 1.0 released

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Ah, another fine release that obviously wasn't tested before the final release :p

The name of the tile info file doesn't fit the "8.3" file name rules under DOS. You have to rename "Armageddon.tli" to something shorter and update the patch file accordingly, otherwise you won't be able to play this mod.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Can you post the screenshots inline, maybe with a imgur gallery?
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 0:02 Ah, another fine release that obviously wasn't tested before the final release :p

The name of the tile info file doesn't fit the "8.3" file name rules under DOS. You have to rename "Armageddon.tli" to something shorter and update the patch file accordingly, otherwise you won't be able to play this mod.
Every game is not perfect. I will do it
Tormentor667 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:25 Can you post the screenshots inline, maybe with a imgur gallery?
I did't post any screenshoot except the title screen
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

K1n9_Duk3 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 0:02 Ah, another fine release that obviously wasn't tested before the final release :p

Version 1.1 https://www.mediafire.com/file/jr5dka2k ... 7.rar/file

I replaced the link of version 1.0
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Re: The Armageddon Continues - Version 1.1 released

Post by DarkAle »

I haven't received any replies recently. If everything is ok, I can proceed with Keen 14
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Well, technically, there's no problem with your mod. However, it's not your best mod in my opinion. Levels were so-so and not very interesting. The choice of colors was too monotonously CGA-ish most of the time. It was just not my taste. Probably the best thing about your mod is the behavior of Shelley. I really like the way it acts and that you can stun it in more than one way. You can also use it to train your reflections. The fact that you can destroy RoboGreen is also interesting, though it could've used a few more shots to do that. The world map also reminded me a bit of WarCraft 2. Sorry, but there's not much else I can comment on it. I'm more looking forward for your next sorcerer mod. I hope that you'll use what you've learned so far and build upon that to make it better.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Roobar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 15:47 Well, technically, there's no problem with your mod. However, it's not your best mod in my opinion. Levels were so-so and not very interesting. The choice of colors was too monotonously CGA-ish most of the time. It was just not my taste. Probably the best thing about your mod is the behavior of Shelley. I really like the way it acts and that you can stun it in more than one way. You can also use it to train your reflections. The fact that you can destroy RoboGreen is also interesting, though it could've used a few more shots to do that. The world map also reminded me a bit of WarCraft 2. Sorry, but there's not much else I can comment on it. I'm more looking forward for your next sorcerer mod. I hope that you'll use what you've learned so far and build upon that to make it better.
Obviously. I don't know WarCraft 2 so I created the map casually
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I am not a modder myself, but in my opinion here are two of your biggest obstacles in modding:

1) You seem to value quantity over quality. You are in too big of a rush to go from one level pack to another, which makes whatever level pack you are working on at the time an afterthought. You are too busy trying to move on to the next level pack that you are not giving the quality time needed for the current one. As a result the quality suffers on each new release. You should be evolving with each new project but instead it seems you are devolving, simply because you are trying to rush everything.

2) You are doing way too much all by yourself. If I asked you to name your top 20 favorite mods and level packs I can guarantee you 17-20 of them the modders had quite a bit of help from a lot of people, publicly or secretly. You said yourself Atroxian Realm was your all-time favorite mod (as it is mine as well) and I know firsthand that Gridlock did not do all of that by himself. Ceilick did not do the TUIT trilogy all by himself. 55Aavenue isn't doing his Goodbye Galaxy! reimaging all by himself. Swallow your pride and don't be afraid to ask for help, get some ideas from others and learn to build on what is working and what isn't.

Slow down and take some time to create these level packs and possible future mods and try to work with others who were modders before you. I have said before that I see potential in your work and if you take the proper time and collective energy from others I think you could one day create a mod that just might rival some of the best here. However, if you continue to rush out level packs just for the sake of releasing as many as you can, you may find yourself with substandard releases that few will want to play.

Take your time Dude, it's not a race.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

Syllypryde wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 13:34 I am not a modder myself, but in my opinion here are two of your biggest obstacles in modding:

1) You seem to value quantity over quality. You are in too big of a rush to go from one level pack to another, which makes whatever level pack you are working on at the time an afterthought. You are too busy trying to move on to the next level pack that you are not giving the quality time needed for the current one. As a result the quality suffers on each new release. You should be evolving with each new project but instead it seems you are devolving, simply because you are trying to rush everything.

2) You are doing way too much all by yourself. If I asked you to name your top 20 favorite mods and level packs I can guarantee you 17-20 of them the modders had quite a bit of help from a lot of people, publicly or secretly. You said yourself Atroxian Realm was your all-time favorite mod (as it is mine as well) and I know firsthand that Gridlock did not do all of that by himself. Ceilick did not do the TUIT trilogy all by himself. 55Aavenue isn't doing his Goodbye Galaxy! reimaging all by himself. Swallow your pride and don't be afraid to ask for help, get some ideas from others and learn to build on what is working and what isn't.

Slow down and take some time to create these level packs and possible future mods and try to work with others who were modders before you. I have said before that I see potential in your work and if you take the proper time and collective energy from others I think you could one day create a mod that just might rival some of the best here. However, if you continue to rush out level packs just for the sake of releasing as many as you can, you may find yourself with substandard releases that few will want to play.

Take your time Dude, it's not a race.
In future I know that I'll need help. Thanks for this post. I'll make my mods well. I'll make all of you happy
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

Hey there!

I just streamed this mod today on Twitch and I think I beat it? Well, I didnt see any end scenes, so I just wanted to ask if there are any? :)
A project for lifetime.
DarkAle
Vorticon Elite

Post by DarkAle »

XrackProject wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 14:42 Hey there!

I just streamed this mod today on Twitch and I think I beat it? Well, I didnt see any end scenes, so I just wanted to ask if there are any? :)
No, there aren't. Sorry. There aren't also secret levels or a big number of secret areas, but be prepared because I'm making a version 2 of The Ultra Omegamatic. I'm also doing my Secret of the Sorcerer, but I think I'll not finish it for this summer because it's partially complete.

P. S. I hope you liked this mod
XrackProject
Vortininja

Post by XrackProject »

It was quite intressting! It was noticable that it could be better done, but hey, we all develop right? :) Its gonna be uploaded on my Youtube Channel as a Lets Play. Today with Part 1 :)

Edit: I should have give you a little bit more feedback, sorry my bad!

So, I noticed that some levels indeed need some polishing. The last level was well done! The keys have been placed difficult enough, but also not too easy, specially while beeing haunted my these stone-mortimers? :P What I was missing most was some kinda story. Why is Keen in Greenland? What kind of Armageddon Continues actually? Besides the last level there was no real threat to Greenland. It would also look funny, if Keen had some jacket on because of the cold. ;)

So if your modding something new, think of these details. Maybe it takes more time if you involve others to help you creating something, but it will definitive be worth to wait!

These were just my two cents to this project!
A project for lifetime.
Bubzrulz
Vortininja

Post by Bubzrulz »

anyone got a working link for this mod?
K1n9_Duk3
Vorticon Elite

Post by K1n9_Duk3 »

Bubzrulz wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 23:18a working link for this mod?
The KeenWiki page has download links.
Hail to the K1n9, baby!
http://k1n9duk3.shikadi.net