Keen 1-3 level drawer

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Keen 1-3 level drawer

Post by Levellass »

A.k.a KeenView: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KeenView%20.zip

A simple level drawer for Keen 1-3. Simply place it in the folder and drag-and-drop a level onto it. It exports levels as bitmaps, showing sprites and tiles. This is technically a beta and there are some issues:

* Translucent sprites are drawn as opaque
* Palette patches not noticed
* Renamed files cause problems

I might fix these problems in future, but I really don't think there is any demand for it. Enjoy!
Last edited by Levellass on Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:08, edited 1 time in total.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Hey, I already asked for the translucent sprite update! :O

To all others: If you want to see what this program does, all the Levelmaps from the Silcar series on KeenWiki have been made with this.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

levellord.toxicsheep.com
http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KeenView.zip
You have requested a page or object that was not found on the server. This may be the result of a typo or broken link.
??? :(
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

That's your second mistake I have to correct Levellass.

http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/KeenView%20.zip
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

This is becoming worrying; what in heck's name is that %20 there for and WHY is it there? I'm copying the link, and it always works for me, but then you need to correct it. I smell windows bugs.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I tried it now, but it only gives me crappy .bmp lvls, and they are really fucled up. Is it because I use Vista?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Hmmmn, what do you mean by 'crappy bmp levels'? That's as informative as 'it doesn't work' or my favorite comment 'I have a bug' (Thank YOU beta tester...)

Tulip reported bugs in which sprites were mis-positioned or absent. Or are the tiles all jumbled up?

If however you did not read the help file, then you have tried it on Keen 1 and got a total load of junk. KeenView does not work on the Keen 1 LZW compressed graphics, since nobody will want to view those levels anyway. (And all graphics programs undo the compression, so you'll only encounter in in a fresh copy of Keen 1)
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

I'm sorry, I should have been more clearer.. (and less rude, which I never intendet to be)

Well now, the .bmp file that pops up looks like porridge. I can only see green, blue, black and some red pixels everywhere. I can see that it is a Keen lvl, but it doesn't look too healty to me. I shall provide you with a picture:
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8756/garg.png
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Levellass wrote:This is becoming worrying; what in heck's name is that %20 there for and WHY is it there? I'm copying the link, and it always works for me, but then you need to correct it. I smell windows bugs.
%20 is HTTP language for "a space in an URL". It's perfectly normal, at least, in cases where there ISN'T a space inbetween your file name and its extension. So the file you uploaded is called "KeenView .zip"...
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Strange, that really shouldn't have happened...

@ Zidane: Yes, from what I can tell your graphics are LZW compressed, IS this Keen 1, and a fresh copy? If not, we have an interesting issue. Try it on a mod.