TilePhile - Cross-Platform Vorticons TileInfo Editor

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

TilePhile - Cross-Platform Vorticons TileInfo Editor

Post by Commander Spleen »

Here's a little utility I whipped up some time ago to facilitate Keen:Vorticons modding in a Linux environment. It's called TilePhile and is intended as a replacement to Andy's Windows-based TileInfo. Though it cannot extract the data from an EXE yet, all other core functionality is implemented.

Download TilePhile v0.1

The zip contains Linux and Windows binaries, along with a text file containing the necessary instructions.

If you are a Mac user capable of compiling a binary for OS/X, please give me a yell and I'll send the code across. I intend to compile a DOS version down the track as well.

Any technical discussion is best directed at the Keen:Modding Thread.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

OK, I'm a Windows user. So at first glance the program is in its current state a lot more complicated to use than tileinfo. What would make it interesting anyway would be a Keen4-6 tileediting feature in the future, because Keen456tli doesn't let me change the lower tile properties without a mouse wheel.
If your program doesn't get the right commands (with the tli and bmp files), it just hangs up, a messages would be nicer i think.
And if I try editing I have to press shift all the time since only capital letters seem to work.
It's strange how the program doesn't let you quit via the window X, that one cannot be clicked, took me a while till I could exit with shift+q. :crazy
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

tulip wrote:What would make it interesting anyway would be a Keen4-6 tileediting feature in the future, because Keen456tli doesn't let me change the lower tile properties without a mouse wheel.
With a bit of advice about the tile format and structure in Keen4-6, it should be pretty straightforward to add them.
tulip wrote:If your program doesn't get the right commands (with the tli and bmp files), it just hangs up, a messages would be nicer i think.
In the next incarnation I think I'll setup a menu system to select the files, with the command line parameters left as optional overrides.
tulip wrote:And if I try editing I have to press shift all the time since only capital letters seem to work.
I shall investigate this. There shouldn't be any kind of case sensitivity, and I've never encountered it. What operating system are you using?
tulip wrote:It's strange how the program doesn't let you quit via the window X, that one cannot be clicked, took me a while till I could exit with shift+q. Crazy
Yeah, I'm not sure whether it's possible to make Allegro grant the use of the X button, but if it can be done it shall be.

What happened with the Q key? Did it not work for a while?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

No it took me a while to find out I had to press shift (the aforementioned case sensitivity). I'm using the widely loved Vista by the way.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

:lol at 'widely loved'.

You mean 'widely :barf 'd at'?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

With a bit of advice about the tile format and structure in Keen4-6, it should be pretty straightforward to add them.
We really must talk sometime, there is much we can discuss. Also possibly Mink, who is working on a Keen 4-6 utility.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Should get on IRC sometime. It greatly facilitates collaboration.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Could you tell me what frameworks this uses, that would make things easier.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Just Allegro. Think I mentioned that in the PM, didn't I?

Pass it -STATICLINK=1 for make and make install, and then `allegro-config --libs --static` when compiling the program. Unless OS/X does something weird.
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

Oh, sorry you did. I'm at a loss to get Allegro to work, I have to have a development version, and I can't compile the framework, and I can't find it online. I will continue to try, but I'm not using command line, I'm using Xcode, so I don't really use the commands. Xcode is sorta like Visual Studio for mac, it is Apples development software.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Hmm, sounds unpleasant.

It looks pretty easy to install Allegro at the command line on OS/X, but there do appear to be a couple of extra steps involved than in Linux or Windows.

Looks like you want to pass DEPENDS=1 instead of STATICLINK=1.

http://alleg.sourceforge.net/latestdocs ... acosx.html

(Oh, make sure you use Allegro 4.2.2, not the latest 4.9.x branch.)
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

I've seen that and tried to do it, but it didn't work! I'll continue to look for a solution to this problem, in the meantime, everyone sit tight and wait.