Smile levelpack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Glad this was released only a month late (take notes, KeenRush ;)).

Level 1: This is a neat level, but a bit nebulous and disorienting. The puzzles are great (I've only taken the right path so far). Some of those jumps are pretty tough, though.

Level 2: I think this is a great difficulty, Fleexy. I had to play it a few times, but I was able to finally beat it. I like how it seems to be divided into sections with specific challenges in each (e.g. the balloon ride, the hallway of solid/fallthrough tiles, etc.).

Level 3: I wasn't able to get past the first part with the switch and the hazard. Is there any way to do this? At any rate, I'm glad to see we've got another potential Keener.

Level 4: Devilishly tricky, but has some good ideas like the bridge puzzles.

Level 5: Quite short, but I liked the choice of completing early or exploring for a lot of extra points.

Level 6: I like how there are two different routes to the exit and how the harder path has lots of points to make it worthwhile. The scrub puzzle to get the blue key is neat, too.

Level 7: Very nice use of space and a cool bridge puzzle to get the keys.

Level 8: A little too short for my liking, but I enjoyed what's there. This had a good difficulty - a few tricky jumps, but not insanely hard.

Level 9: After seeing everyone's levels, mine seems quite plain. I wish I had used more types of tiles.

Level 10: This level has some of the hardest jumps in the pack (except for maybe Shikadi's) which was expected since this is a KeenRush level, after all. Aside from that first jump to the red key (which is pure evil) I really like this level.

Level 11: Amazing use of the tileset. I also loved the shadow art and "kidney". :lol

Level 12: Very cute little level. Get her to do more, Lla.

Level 16: Wow, this one is great with stunning tileset utilization. There were a few too many elites at the end for my liking, though.

If I were forced to choose favorites (which is incredibly hard to do, since every level is a lot of fun) I'd have to say levels 10, 11 and 16 are the ones I like the most. Level 10 because I think it best captures the essence of Smile (I wonder why :crazy), level 11 for how well it used the tileset, and level 16 because of how well the multiple routes work and varied use of tiles.

Maybe for our next community level pack we could use one of the Galaxy games? I think we should get more people doing levels for those.

Anyway, excellent work, everyone who contributed!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

By the way, LLass, this is getting ridiculous. Now you changed the list file but switched level6 and 7 so that the old list file is now correct not the new one. Also fleexy's level is now missing from the new zip.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It WHAT?

RRRGGGHHHH! How the fucl did that happen? Piece of garg vista! I am NOT happy!

FINE! THIRD resubmission, same place! It had BETTER be correct this time, or so help me I will pull the caps lock off my keyboard and BURN it!

Since we're a few levels short, could I submit another level? I'm not very happy with my current one. I have a very insane one ready.
Sure! Go right ahead! I'll probably need to reupload in a day or two anyway.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

...or so help me I will pull the caps lock off my keyboard and BURN it!
Wasn't that swallowed by your child already? Or was that shift?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Shift, caps lock iS MORE ANNYOIGN WHEN YOU ACCIDEN- darn it! not again!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Great! I'll upload when I get home! :drool

EDIT: My level is there now, but it's the old impossible version. Levellass... >:

EDIT2: Here's an amazing level: http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/LEVEL15.CK2
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Newest version uploaded. Still has your impossible level in it, since that's the latest version you sent me.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Levellass wrote:Newest version uploaded. Still has your impossible level in it, since that's the latest version you sent me.
You uploaded an Impossible level??? What kind of Mickey Mouse bullgarg is that? You mean to tell me that at some point you actually found this idea logical? Who the hell is going to bother playing a level that is impossible to solve???????????? How could this possibly be any fun?

This is really getting ridiculous people! The "more difficult than Episode Smile" fetish was bad enough. Creating ALMOST impossible levels wasn't good enough? Now you have to create impossible levels????????????

!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*()!@#$%^&*().........!!!!!!!!!

Patrick :dead
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Newest version uploaded. Still has your impossible level in it, since that's the latest version you sent me.
I wish only once Levellass would read a little more than just the last line in the latest post.

But here is my last line:

Fleexy's possible version of the level: http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/LEVEL02.CK2
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Thankies!

Anyway, levellord's level is incompletable again. :crazy And about shikadi's level: the top is unfair (so many blind jumps/drops), down is impossible (AFAIK), the left is incompletable (AFAIK), and right is just too puzzling. :dead
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I've done shikadi's level the down way I think. So it should be possible.
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

Fleexy wrote:Thankies!

Anyway, levellord's level is incompletable again. :crazy And about shikadi's level: the top is unfair (so many blind jumps/drops), down is impossible (AFAIK), the left is incompletable (AFAIK), and right is just too puzzling. :dead
your levels are more impossible, u made the level to be harder then smile, (i dindt, i just wanted a choice of challenges), i completed all roads before sending. (left,right,upside,downside,top and bottom.), and i am sure each route in their is easier then any of your levels in keen -6 :p .

if there are 2 ppl that may NOT complain about difficulty, then its fleexy and keenrush. :dopefish
nothing usefull here
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Am I missing something? Because seriously, I can't shoot 4 two-shot grunts that are like 2 pixels in front of me. :p And really, how do I get up the side of the left way. And plus, the steered blind drop on the up route is insane. I don't remember any blind drops in Keen -6... :dopekeen

EDIT: Oh, the muchas-grunt thing is for a big bonus. :dead I also completed it with the left way. How was I supposed to know about that switch? :dead2
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I am never, ever, ever starting or contributing to a levelpack ever again. People hate you too much. NOW understand why KR is so quiet.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Hmm, I just thought about this pack again. And I tried out fleexy's link to his 'possible' level (the one that I quoted myself), and I'm afraid it is still impossible, nothing's different from the first version.