Smile levelpack

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Smile levelpack

Post by Levellass »

It is finished!

Well, almost. Xky and Genius 314 ducked out, so we're 3 levels short. But, as there's little chance of anything else turning up, even with the deadline extension, I have finally bowed to pressure and released it.

Get it here: http://levellord.toxicsheep.com/pack.zip

People seemed to have been inspired (Or infected.) by the mod, since most of the levels are deadeningly hard. If you have the patience to fight your way through, then they can be quite interesting. As punishment for incompleteness, I refuse to tell you whether Levellord's level is completeable or not. >:

Enjoy!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Re: Smile levelpack

Post by Genius314 »

Levellass wrote:Well, almost. Xky and Genius 314 ducked out, so we're 3 levels short.
Were both of us each expected to do 1 and a half levels? :p
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Bah. Way too complicated to set this up on a foreign computer. I'll wait to get home and play it.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

I feel bad for not getting something in for this--I felt like I couldn't capture the Smile essence very well.

Some of these levels are HARD! There were many good designs, though, and I liked the variety of ways other modders employed KeenRush's tileset. :) Very creative!

The level from the non-keener was adorable, by the way. :)

Again, my apologies. I'll try to do better next time.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

What a neat set of levels! More comments later... :british

By the way, there's no level 7 in the zip even if the list of levels tells 7th level is by tulip! :dead2
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Maybe she refused to put my level in because it was so good!

I won't play that pack until my level is in it!

EDIT: It seem my level is there (level06), so which one is missing?

EDIT2: I'm rather disappointed in you Levellass, after you nagged me that you shouldn't put in levels that can't be completed and sqeezed the solution for my level out of me, I already found a level that can't be completed:

Level04 - supposedly Levellords, I know it should be, but it really isn't because of a little thing that Levellord seems to ignore (she made an in completable level in Harvey's mod with the same bug): You can't stand on a Scrub that moves through a hazard tile. This tells me you have only been testing in godmode.
Last edited by tulip on Sun Aug 30, 2009 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Then the list included in the zip is wrong... But LEVEL07 (which in the list is credited tulip) is not included in the zip! Someone's level is missing! Hopefully it will be corrected -- also, when that is done, I hope the level map was edited so that levels 13-15 would be removed and the 'level done' tile placed instead of them, so that the player would not be able go to existing, old Smile levels, since they are not part of this level pack... :begging
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Herry Jerry
Vortininja

Post by Herry Jerry »

I don't think I could find mine in there. The list said mine was the 6th one, so maybe mine and Tulip's got mixed up?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Hmm, level03 doesn't seem to be completable either, or maybe I'm not good enough with far jumps, but that last jump from the creatures tounge to where the blue door is just seems too far. the list indicates that this is shockshunds level, but it looks like it is Levellass' since it exploits a bug she found in Keen Z.

Level05 which should be Levellass' according to the list, however, is completed with three jumps, I had a look at the level in mindbelt and it's kind of sad how the whole level can be shortcutted out.

Day of the EDITS: then maybe Herry Jerry's level is missing.

And another EDIT: I now played through all levels except the ones that can't be finished and KeenRush's which is, despite earlier claims by me that KR's skills have declined, is hellishly hard and there is no way I can get the red keycard, and there is also an unpreceded evilness in the use of the guardbot. But I have trust in KR that he playtested his level and he can finish it.
One I don't have so much trust in playtesting yet (I don't know your mods well) is fleexy, and I have to say the jump through those swirling hazards up again seems impossible, I tried that jump about a hundred times and it's always a little bit too short.
The hardest level I beat was surely shikadi's and I have to say I didn't try all the paths (I completed it with the downwards path), but the last balloon ride is evil, and you have to do it no matter which path you take.
Belinda Makepeace's level was great and I had much fun in Minks, because it had just about the right difficulty for me.
My prize for the most creative use of the tileset goes to Spleen.
The shockshund level is very interesting, but as I said I can't seem to make the last jump there either.

EDIT again: I just noticed the only two levels I said nothing about were elecdude's and Ceilick's: Elecdudes was solid but a little short, Ceilicks was a little long, although I liked the two different paths. The right path is a bit too hard for my taste with the scrubs (that can't be shot) on one tile platforms just above a hazard. And I thought it was a little packed with monsters (but that's Ceilick's style)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Oops. :confused Apparently, I released the wrong version. Try http://home.mchsi.com/~bootsisbig/LEVEL02.CK2 for a possible version. Don't know what happened there... :dead

Also, levellord's level is incompletable because of the scrub error. :foot

I will play through them later.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

I'm stuck on shikadi's level. Its very hard, but i do enjoy it (the route i'm taking, anyway). I've been taking the rightward route. Excellent puzzles, shikadi. Right now my fingers have cramped up so I'm taking a break now, will try to beat it later. I keep dying on the balloon ride at the bottom of the level :dead2
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

tulip wrote:... there is no way I can get the red keycard, and there is also an unpreceded evilness in the use of the guardbot. But I have trust in KR that he playtested his level and he can finish it. ...
I would not have released the level if it couldn't be completed... Have played it many times. To get the red keycard I pogo towards the spikes and change the direction in air. I think getting there is easier than getting out. :p

I don't know whether some levels just aren't playtested enough or purposefully made unpassable, or then I'm just lame. :p
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Level04 - supposedly Levellords, I know it should be, but it really isn't because of a little thing that Levellord seems to ignore (she made an in completable level in Harvey's mod with the same bug): You can't stand on a Scrub that moves through a hazard tile. This tells me you have only been testing in godmode.
Hah, you're right, it's NOT completable, and LL didn't fix it by the deadline, so it stays. I pretty much let the level builders test their levels, since a lot of them had ways of doing things I had no idea about. (Seriously, I'm not THAT good a Keener)

Blast! How was level 7 left out of my zip? I don't understand it! The zip has been updated with the missing level added, Fleexy's new version added, the list corrected (Oh God, I hope...) and LL's level tweaked. (Still don't ask me if it's possible though.)

Get it where you got the first people!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Since we're a few levels short, could I submit another level? I'm not very happy with my current one. I have a very insane one ready.
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

This levelpack is just as ridiculously difficult as the mod it pays tribute to. With all due respect, I am afraid I will have to regretfully decline.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees