Download (v1.1): https://davidgow.net/files/rndkeen11.zip
Source Code: https://github.com/sulix/randkeen
To use it, just download it (Keen 1 is included), and run RNDKEEN1.BAT. You'll get a slightly different game every time:
- Level entrances are shuffled: you have no idea what level you're about to play.
- The spaceship parts (and pogo stick) could now be in any level.
- Lollies (point items) are shuffled within a level.
- A couple of other minor cosmetic differences.
- Don't worry, the Yorp statues will give you some useful hints about where things are.
There's some more info in the README file and on the website. Note that it's compiled with DJGPP, so will need at least a 386 to run. (DOSBox works fine, too.)
Please give it a go, and hopefully see Keen 1 in a whole new light (i.e., without the Pogo for half the time, and never having enough ammo! )
Edit: Updated the link to version 1.0a: see this follow-up post.
Edit 2/3: Updated the link to version 1.0b, then 1.0c: see this follow-up post.
Edit 4: Version 1.1 is now out: see this follow-up post.