Keen 6 Mini-MOD: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ...Again

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

I'm still playing...

Is this super secret level some kind of cruel joke?

'cause I got to every door except past the last wall of whatsimacallits and I'm again... tearing hair out.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

yount wrote:I'm still playing...

Is this super secret level some kind of cruel joke?

'cause I got to every door except past the last wall of whatsimacallits and I'm again... tearing hair out.
It is real. There is no joke.

Now, if I knew of a way to disable the Impossible Bullet Trick then I'd do it. While there is a Keen 5 level pack which takes advantage of it (well a variant of that), it is not needed in AAMBA.

Anyway, to continue...
- Tried "shimmy on poles" for the first door?
- I understand you've found the proper way to the second door?
- Considering the very end: As I've said before here, there is a trick that once revealed, you'd know it's quite simple to reach the end.
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

Your replies are carefully thought out to not quite reveal too much but keep me hungry, good stuff man.

I'm going in again... what a sucker...
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Maybe I'd also add the following: When you get to the main menu, you are suggested to do something. Have you done that before?
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

Anyway, to continue...
- Tried "shimmy on poles" for the first door?
At first, no, but it occurred to me once I had found the first door - if you catch my drift - after searching and trying stuff for hours I just knew there was only one way to get to that door... so you don't need any IB tricks, that's very good to know because I FLAT OUT did not believe this after needing to use it to pass the level that I mentioned on Page 7 of this thread (getting the black gem on HARD.)

My reaction to finding the first door was pretty much: "garg, you do need to cheat to do it... er.... is the IB considered a cheat?... wait a min....*goes back to look through forums*... yes it is.... hmmm.... let me try jumping right maybe, whoops fell down... ahhh a pole....ah a goplat!
I understand you've found the proper way to the second door?
That was the easy part because the secret does not lie.
Considering the very end: As I've said before here, there is a trick that once revealed, you'd know it's quite simple to reach the end.
A trick eh? Yeah I need to make these 9 killer things go by bye....

"quite simple" hmmm....
Last edited by yount on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29, edited 1 time in total.
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

NY00123 wrote:Maybe I'd also add the following: When you get to the main menu, you are suggested to do something. Have you done that before?
Main menu or map level?

Because I still do not have the passcard for the rocket if you are talking map level.

Main level - no idea, you can start a new game, load a game, save, configure, return to game, end game, paddle war and quit. I got rid of the score box, didn't allow 2 button firing and even had a go at paddle war just in case there was some sort of level enabler once you'd beaten the computer to 21.

You can tell I'm certainly trying everything (obviously everything 'cept for 1)
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

yount wrote:Main menu or map level?
The menu itself. Without applying any unique action, when you do get to the menu you should see some kind of a suggestion.
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

You have got to be kidding me?

Amazing!

Oh I've got this! But never in a million years would I have done that!

It almost seems like a cheat as well.

My unwillingness to bend a little and just play this level straight up and down has really cost me in TIME!

I cannot believe how this whole level was conceptualized and created. I am astonished and amazed.
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

And LOL to the SS level. So glad nobody has talked about what this level looks like on these forums. It was an unexpected and pleasant surprise!

But is there another mod on the way? This one was pretty nice to play, although ridiculously hard if you want to play all the way through without any saving whatsoever. Keen 4 on hard is perhaps my ceiling in terms of ability. 5? On hard? Forget it! Same as AAMBA. Hard really is impossible to do in this game, can anyone claim to beat it on hard, no load/save?
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Glad to see that you've found the level and had the feeling of a surprise :)
yount wrote:It almost seems like a cheat as well.
I can see why. I should've probably been clearer, telling in the README file or some other place that the Impossible Bullet Trick is considered cheating (in this specific level pack).

<POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING>
On the contrary, I wouldn't consider the door related hint given in the HINTS.TXT file to be cheating for one reason. Without it, Keen could die immediately in case there isn't much luck and a hazardous creature has just passed by the door. In terms of gameplay, many would agree it is unfair to let the character die right away. This applies to the original unmodified Keens as well, of course.
</POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING>
But is there another mod on the way?
If you refer to a MOD of my own, then unfortunately there isn't really. However, by searching on these forums you may find a level pack I later released, for a non-Keen game (although it is related to Keen 4-6 in some way).
Hard really is impossible to do in this game, can anyone claim to beat it on hard, no load/save?
Admittedly, since my preference is to save/load often while playing, I haven't exactly tested this on "Hard" without saving...
yount
Grunt

Post by yount »

NY00123 wrote:Glad to see that you've found the level and had the feeling of a surprise :)
Yeah, any new level is fun for me, i'm a big keen fan and always have been (since the old 386 days) always will be.
I can see why. I should've probably been clearer, telling in the README file or some other place that the Impossible Bullet Trick is considered cheating (in this specific level pack).

Well I think the door related hint is cheating. It doesn't make sense to be able to do it when normally you would perish. Although it's your mod you have the right to decide.... I only went searching through the forums to discover the IB trick when I was totally at a dead end.

This applies to the original unmodified Keens as well, of course.

When I think back... yes... there were times in previous keen episodes where I survived a door bashing. I suppose you're right. The originals set the ground rules.

Admittedly, since my preference is to save/load often while playing, I haven't exactly tested this on "Hard" without saving...

Well I think HARD should mean just that, not IMPOSSIBLE because I can get 3-4 levels into the game but that is it. Like I've said before about the tongue ticklers and a few of the pole stunts, you've gotta have all the computer Gods and all the luck on your side to even get close. (But then maybe I'm just a Keen hack!... doubt it though... this is way too hard... but since you play with load/save this is a perfect game for that, well done I say)
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

I did complete the game on hard without in-level saving, but I also skipped a few levels as well and used worldmap saving.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
???
Meep

Found Something Crazy Wierd in the Base of Unknown

Post by ??? »

This might be complicated but I think it will help. Go to where the Flashing Hand is and go to the far right wall above the switch. Pogo up and hold up to climb a hidden pole. Keep jumping up once at the top to hop on to a hidden platform that takes you up to a door. Go in the door, and it will take you to one of those vents, but jump or pogo to the left corner once the vent appears. You'll grab a ledge in that corner that takes you to another door. In that door is a room with a wierd cactus, kill it to get an odd looking grey key (and a crap ton of points at the top of this room). Then go through the door and use that key on the wierd symbol next to the things that are blocking the door. Then this room will lead you to where I'm still stuck =[

The pogo move after getting to the vent is tricky so keep trying.

Hope this helped. This level is wierd, no lie.
???
Meep

Post by ??? »

Previous message for Base of Unknown in Keen 6 Mod Aliens Ate my Babysitter Again. Still trying to figure out how to post =[
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

@??? Double or more-posting isn't allowed on PCKF!