Keen 6 Mini-MOD: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ...Again

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Okay so I broke the old TL-DR.org Uploader links while I was updating stuff on my site. Among other things, the links in this thread are dead. Gonna try and rescue the latest version from my site's database and then I'll add it to Bipship's mod section.

edit:

http://www.tl-dr.org/shared/rescue.php? ... MBA-R3.ZIP

URLs of this form will work for all of the old http://www.tl-dr.org/..... file links.

edit again:

http://www.bipship.com/mods/author/ny00123
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Hey CK Guy,

Thanks for updating the links!
Here's something I've planned to do later in the latest few weeks, but now that the old tl-dr.org link has got broken, I've decided to do it right now.

Well you should all be able to get revision 3 of this Mini-MOD from: http://ny.duke4.net/files/keen/AAMBA-R3.ZIP

Alternatively, you can use other relevant links, like the ones posted by CK Guy.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

And it's been on KeenWiki for quite a while now, if the other two options fail you.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Eddie Blake
Grunt

Post by Eddie Blake »

Can you change the game so the cheats aren't disabled?
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

By default they're not disabled; all you'd have to do is edit the patch file to find where they're disabled and delete the relevant patches.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
NY00123
Vorticon Elite

Post by NY00123 »

Well, it is non-trivial to delete the patches relevant to cheating, cause I removed comments >D
As I've told before, cheats are disabled for a reason: To avoid the easy reveal of spoilers not in the intended way (think of secret levels and, say, a few surprises).
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I've downloaded your mod and it's really a good one! Currently I'm somewhere in the middle of the game. Very well done. I like the levels. I'm playing on medium, but I have two complains:

1. The ammo isn't enough! Really. You mention it, but this is ridiculous. Even in DITD there were more ammo than in this mod. This doesn't make the game more hard or challenging. It makes it more annoying. It's just pointless because if you miss your shot, you have to load your last save. And that means a lot of saving/loading. And even if you do this, you still may end up with no ammo and you'll have to restart the level because you'll be unable to continue through some enemies. It's pointless also because you have to enter your ship every time you finish a level just to rise your ammo to 9. Which is ok at the beginning, but at some point it starts to be really annoying. My suggestion is to make some more ammo, so it's enough for killing all the enemies in a level. Put some ammo in the secret areas instead of candy.

2. Why most of the secrets are available only on hard?!?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

wiivn wrote:I've downloaded your mod and it's really a good one! Currently I'm somewhere in the middle of the game. Very well done. I like the levels. I'm playing on medium, but I have two complains:

1. The ammo isn't enough! Really. You mention it, but this is ridiculous. Even in DITD there were more ammo than in this mod. This doesn't make the game more hard or challenging. It makes it more annoying. It's just pointless because if you miss your shot, you have to load your last save. And that means a lot of saving/loading. And even if you do this, you still may end up with no ammo and you'll have to restart the level because you'll be unable to continue through some enemies. It's pointless also because you have to enter your ship every time you finish a level just to rise your ammo to 9. Which is ok at the beginning, but at some point it starts to be really annoying. My suggestion is to make some more ammo, so it's enough for killing all the enemies in a level. Put some ammo in the secret areas instead of candy.
Just like most of the official Keen games you will run out of ammo if you feel the need to shoot everything that moves. You need to learn to be more conservative with your ammo. Plus, you do not necessarily have to enter your ship to get more ammo. In all the Galaxy games, if you have 4 or less ammo, you get an extra raygun at the very beginning of any level, not just the ship. But while we are on the subject of the ship, here is a little trick that will help once you start a new game:

1) Immediately go the the BWB
2) Waste a shot so you have 4 ammo left
3) grab the 20,000 points and leave the level
4) Re-enter the level
5) There will be a raygun at the ship
6) When you go to the cavern below the ship there will be 4 extra rayguns at the exit
2. Why most of the secrets are available only on hard?!?
Most of the secrets are actually available on all skill levels. The "secrets" you are referring to are actually alternate paths in the levels. For example, the rope and grappling hook and the sandwich are found in certain levels in easy and normal. On hard, alternate paths in different levels lead to these collectibles. The most fun secrets will involve the two secret levels but I will let you uncover those secrets for yourself.

Patrick
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Well, it is non-trivial to delete the patches relevant to cheating, cause I removed comments >D
But the patch ADDRESS is always the same, you merely have to look it up. There's nothing that can be done about it.

Also, that extra ammo trick is sneee-kaaay! :)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Syllypryde wrote: Just like most of the official Keen games you will run out of ammo if you feel the need to shoot everything that moves. You need to learn to be more conservative with your ammo.
For Keen 4-6 that's not true at all! I've never experienced lack of ammo. There are always some guns in secret areas. And I like to shoot all enemies. That satisfied the feeling of a well completed level.
Syllypryde wrote:Plus, you do not necessarily have to enter your ship to get more ammo. In all the Galaxy games, if you have 4 or less ammo, you get an extra raygun at the very beginning of any level, not just the ship.
I know that.
Syllypryde wrote:But while we are on the subject of the ship, here is a little trick that will help once you start a new game:
Thanks for this.
Eddie Blake
Grunt

Post by Eddie Blake »

Levellass wrote:By default they're not disabled; all you'd have to do is edit the patch file to find where they're disabled and delete the relevant patches.
How is that done?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

You have to look in the Patch Index for Keen 6 cheat patches, and see which addresses they lead to. find these same addresses in the patch file and type a # in front of them.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I just today got around to playing this.

Other than the fact that I thought I was having an acid flashback (the colours oh the colours!), I really liked it. Especially the 'secret' level. It thoroughly made me laugh...

All in all you've given me some inspiration for new things to try with my mod.

I'd love to see what kind of new stuff you can think up!
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

I beat it yesterday on normal. Good mod.
_mr_m_ wrote:Especially the 'secret' level. It thoroughly made me laugh...
I didn't find a secret level! :begging
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

So far I too because I think I cannot get to them on normal.
VikingBoyBilly wrote:I beat it yesterday on normal. Good mod.
_mr_m_ wrote:Especially the 'secret' level. It thoroughly made me laugh...
I didn't find a secret level! :begging