Keen 6 Mini-MOD: Aliens Ate My Babysitter ...Again

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

SOLUTION: Create a DOSBox shortcut to add to your Keen folder so you can just drag'n'drop the exe/bat to it, no mounting involved. Or even better, add a DOSBox shortcut to your Send To folder so you can just right click the exe/bat and select Send To DOSBox.

Edit: Also oh man, this thread's renewed life is reminding me that I should do a replay of this mod.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

"The motion just isn't as Keen" WAHT

DOSBox is a functionally identical copy of a computer. The motion is exactly the garging same. You're just lazy :P
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

TerminILL wrote:"The motion just isn't as Keen" WAHT

DOSBox is a functionally identical copy of a computer. The motion is exactly the garging same. You're just lazy :P
Actually, DOSBox is not identical, but an emulator. It works well, but will sometimes not function properly. In his defense, I think that DOSBox tends to run Keen a lot faster than it originally ran in DOS.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

I said "functionally" identical. At least with regards to Keen.
lemm
Blorb

Post by lemm »

SOLUTION 2: Add a line in your dosbox.conf that does the mounting on startup.

Keen runs at exactly the same speed on my 386 as it does on dosbox
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

erm, i'm playing this on easy, and i can't do anything after i complete the factory and the dome (this means i've also done both lava levels, the tower, BASA, confusion, and multiple times, BWB rocket), because there's still a tree blocking the way after. can someone who knows how to fix this pm me?
Syllypryde
Vorticon Elite

Post by Syllypryde »

Eros wrote:erm, i'm playing this on easy, and i can't do anything after i complete the factory and the dome (this means i've also done both lava levels, the tower, BASA, confusion, and multiple times, BWB rocket), because there's still a tree blocking the way after. can someone who knows how to fix this pm me?
The pathway between Confusion Arena and the teleporter is blocked by three trees. Dome of Spikes, The Blog Factory, and BASA will clear these three trees. Make a right and there will be three trees side-by-side. This is level 6- Blog Tree Wall.
.niarb ym fo
snoitulovnoc eht tuaba
selbbarcs ssensuoicsnoc
rehgih a ekil smees
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

ah, thanks.

too bad my computer is too low on RAM to do any level after... grumblegrumblegrumble >:
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

too low on ram waht? Are you playing on a genuine 286 machine, or what? You realize that you're talking about a mod of a '91 engine.
If you have memory problems, and if you're not using dosbox yet, I suggest you start now.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Eros
Cybloog Slayer

Post by Eros »

if i remember right, my computer is at least 7 years old, no memory upgrades.

i'm downloading it now, so i hope for the best

EDIT: okay, i've got 0.74. now what?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Now make a link of dosbox, best on desktop, and drag and drop the .bat file on the dosbox icon. That should do pretty much all you need.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
timmy2160
Grunt

help with this mod

Post by timmy2160 »

hey there!..

I am new to the forum and was very excited to find out that there are keen-lovers like me out there :p

I have posted this in another thread but couldnt figure it out...
When running AAMBA mod on DOSBox (v.074) an error message appears "Out of memory!", been trying to unlzexe the keen6.exe original file (pretty sure its the EGA version) and also download newer patches which found on the net, but nothing seems to work >:
(BTW im using windows 7)

If anyone have any idea what should be done I will be grateful! :christmas
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Hi there, I suspect you've been trying with version 1.0 of keen 6 -- you'll need 1.4 (which for future reference can be found in the collective at zapzot.net :pirate). Here's one with everything set up for you which you'll hopefully have no trouble at all playing: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3584864/AAMBA.zip :christmas

(P.S. eparate unzlexe-ization is unnecessary since CKPatch does that automatically.)
timmy2160
Grunt

Post by timmy2160 »

Wow ! it works! Thank you so much! :)

im going to try this mod out right now :dopefish
timmy2160
Grunt

mod

Post by timmy2160 »

damn im stuck on dome of evil.. playing on easy
help anyone?