What do you want for Christmas?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

What do you want for Christmas?

Post by KeenRush »

Besides the usual world peace, that is. Christmas being there already in a week, and new year beginning in two, I have to say time has gone really fast this year, I can't believe it's already in the end, and to say, it has been a bad one for me, despite my initial optimism with it. So, time for this annual topic, although it has probably been in form of 'what did you get' and posted afterwards, I can't remember. :old Well, I'll can edit the topic title later. Anyways, this year I've been quite dry of wishes, I'd like books to read but I haven't been able to choose any, and I can't choose of records either, there's too many. And yeah, down with commercialization, I don't want to see one single Santa Claus more -- and the first present idea catalog I saw like three or four months ago... :barf
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DSL
Miragia made me disappear

Post by DSL »

TUIT for x-mas! :christmas
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

The main thing I want for Christmas is a decent alternative and a meaningful and cohesive celebration. I've almost figured it out, but what I need now is to inform those who have a similar wish and integrate it into the existing Christmas celebrations.

Basically, it's a celebration of the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, in which the Son (Sun) dies (stops heading south for shorter days) on the (Southern) Cross (Crux) for three days, while Three Kings (Orion's Belt*) follow, the brightest start (Sirius), along a straight line to the very point at which the Sun is reborn (rises) on the 25th and begins heading north again, beckoning more light and new life (literally).

*stupid [ url ] doesn't like brackets in links. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_(constellation)

What makes it complicated is that it's the summer solstice here, otherwise known as Midsummer. This is more the equivalent of Easter, as the following decent back into shorter days and longer nights, represents the death of the Sun.

I have not worked out why the Christian/Catholic/etc Easter is celebrated on the equinox as yet, or whether it has any significance. It's the point at which both light and dark, or life and death are in balance for one day (here is something to ponder), and doesn't have anything obvious to do with death and resurrection as do the solstices.
TUIT for x-mas! Christmas :christmas
That too. :crazy

(Also, how about some reusable alt-texts for the emoticon images. For example, copying that quote results in simply 'Keen' in place of the image, whereas if it's alt-text was also : christmas, I wouldn't have needed to change it. Surely there must be a way to make that work...)
Last edited by Commander Spleen on Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:10, edited 1 time in total.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

even though i have get smart for myself

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... :IT&ih=017

i can't say more but to wish for world peace. anybody agree with me?
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

I never thought I would have such a long list this year. I usually have no list... :confused

A Wii (though it's expensive!) (scratch the "laptop" that was in this post before.)
Super Mario Galaxy
Peggle

World peace isn't going to happen, though it's a nice thing to wish for.
Last edited by DaVince on Mon Dec 17, 2007 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

A life.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Commander Spleen wrote: Basically, it's a celebration of the winter solstice in the northern hemisphere, in which the Son (Sun) dies (stops heading south for shorter days) on the (Southern) Cross (Crux) for three days, while Three Kings (Orion's Belt*) follow, the brightest start (Sirius), along a straight line to the very point at which the Sun is reborn (rises) on the 25th and begins heading north again, beckoning more light and new life (literally).
Are you talking about this video (starting around 6:17)?

(Don't listen to the part about the parallels, I looked it up and couldn't find Any evidence to support 1/10th of their claims.)
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

Oh god, peggle!? That game consumed mine and my girlfriend's life for a few weeks. We cut ourselves off cold turkey after she called me in her sleep talking about how all of the pillows in her bed were gone because she shot them with the peggle ball. Dark, dark times.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

I want Super Metroid with a Super Nintendo with a controller.

I want a new computer.

I want a keyboard and mouse on my '360.

I want a new car.

I want a new job.

I DON'T want to work on December 24th.

I want an unlimited perscription of Vicodin.

I want to get laid. HELL YEAH!

But I won't get any of that this year. Unfortunately. Maybe next year.
"Check out the red marker... it smells like cherries."
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

KeenEmpire wrote:Are you talking about this video (starting around 6:17)?
Indeed, Zeitgeist tied a lot of things together that I'd previously researched, and provided a convenient summary. Though there are a few other incorrect elements, but it's an otherwise very useful film.

Hmm... Peggle looks like an interesting enough game to become addicted to.
xtraverse wrote:We cut ourselves off cold turkey after she called me in her sleep talking about how all of the pillows in her bed were gone because she shot them with the peggle ball.
That is the most hilarious thing I've heard all day. Granted, I just got up 20 minutes ago, but still... that's a classic.
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

On a somewhat related topic, I just got a birthday gift from my brother -- a tshirt with a picture of a dopefish on the front, and that description/picture of the dopefish from the keen 4 help screen on the back.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Photos!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Awesome, where did she get the shirt? I wish my folks'd even understand Keeniverse. :disguised
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

I want some motivation and focus for Christmas. :crazy

Or something like that, to get my lazy behind moving and do the things I want to do.
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

The Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!