TmsT signing in for a moment

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Toomuchsparetime wrote:
DaVince wrote:
KeenRush wrote:Yeah, it's great. :D Especially that 'anti-piracy' ad. :pirate
Yeah. Dutch, Australian, Vorticon... Quite unexpected. Also: German flag on the Dutch piracy notice. :lol
It's the Belgian flag. The German one is very different. That's like getting NZ's flag confused with the Aussie one!
Oh garg! I didn't even know. The colours are the same though, so they're as different as the Dutch from the French flag.

And I thought I said SGA... I told myself I had to type SGA, how did I type "Vorticon" in the end? ???
It obviously was late when I posted. :lol
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Technically, SGA still uses English words, so doesn't really count as a language, just an alphabet. Japanese adapted to Latin characters is still Japanese.

</sober logic mode>

*waves to TmsT* Greetings once more. Sounds like you're doing well for yourself. Congratulatorium.
CK Prank Call
Ah, a classic moment in Internet history. I still queue that clip up at parties, along with the Take Me Away song that was adapted to the Shadowlands III spoof (I actually have footage of a bunch of us frying an amp via very loud Take Me Away karaoke, 4 years or so back). The response to both seems always to be unanimous amusement.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Holy garg, what parties do you go to?
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Commander Spleen wrote:Technically, SGA still uses English words, so doesn't really count as a language, just an alphabet. Japanese adapted to Latin characters is still Japanese.

</sober logic mode>
What's more, because it uses the same vowel and consonants and doesn't have any other special features one could argue that it's only a variation of the the Latin alphabet.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

I was wondering where you'd wandered off to, TMST. I guess real life and getting locked out of your own site would explain a bit. ;p

Loved USC3, both the writing and animation. Weren't you working on another Lemon Demon video a while back as well?

And keep us updated on whatever you're doing, professional or otherwise.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

The last Lemon Demon video I made was "Bad Idea" in 2006. Crikey, that was a while ago. I really ought to get my Lemon Demon groove on again this year.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

Hey TMST!
Congrats on being noticed at the animation studio, and good luck getting a full time job there!
Commander Spleen wrote:Technically, SGA still uses English words, so doesn't really count as a language, just an alphabet. Japanese adapted to Latin characters is still Japanese.
Wikipedia's SGA article currently calls it a writing system, so I'm assuming that's correct. (Not in the mood to read the whole article right now.) (It said something different before, but I think it was me who edited/added the formal description to make the article more professional, and I'm not exactly familiar with the vernacular. :) )

Also I see Joe Siegler uploaded a newer, better scan of the original SGA document a while ago.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Retodon8 wrote:Hey TMST!
Congrats on being noticed at the animation studio, and good luck getting a full time job there!
Wikipedia's SGA article currently calls it a writing system, so I'm assuming that's correct. (Not in the mood to read the whole article right now.) (It said something different before, but I think it was me who edited/added the formal description to make the article more professional, and I'm not exactly familiar with the vernacular. :) )

Also I see Joe Siegler uploaded a newer, better scan of the original SGA document a while ago.
Because good old Retodon is blind, I will quote myself:

---------------------

</sober logic mode>
What's more, because it uses the same vowel and consonants and doesn't have any other special features one could argue that it's only a variation of the the Latin alphabet.
Aaaah, not the bees!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nice, a new scan of that paper. I wonder if they have other stuff from the Keen era -- they should scan it all, what else got 3D Realms to do there anyways, it's not like they're working on any gigantic game project. :D
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Just checked your new site. I can't wait to see a sack full of kittens! It looks hilarious. :lol
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

Djaser wrote:Because good old Retodon is blind, I will quote myself: [...]
I quoted the very same sentence, so I did read it.
Maybe you're saying I missed something relevant in the Wikipedia article I referred to, that contradicts what you said?
I did say I didn't really read that.
If I missed something in your post itself... I must still be missing it.
I'm confused...
KeenRush wrote:Nice, a new scan of that paper. I wonder if they have other stuff from the Keen era -- they should scan it all
Remember this post?
It suggests Tom Hall may have saved his original concept art.
One of us could mail him and ask him if he'd consider scanning and uploading that stuff.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Yeah, I think it has been mentioned before, too, that he still might have or has all that stuff stored somewhere. But he seems a bit reluctant to scan it... He's either a bit lazy, or then the stuff might have things he wants to have in TUIT, and thus doesn't want the world to see yet. I think it could be something like that.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

I've seen scans with blurred out parts before, so TUIT wouldn't be a valid reason not to scan.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hah, I honestly didn't even think one could alter those scans with software. Good point there! :crazy So, yeah! Bring on those scans Tom.
Sciz CT
Council Janitor

Post by Sciz CT »

*ahem*

Someone who is clearly not TMST has been having fun lately.