What do you think of E3 2010?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Nah, I have absolutely no interest in that expo. There's a ridiculous amount of useless technology already, and I could bet most of those new games are all about technology instead of something else that actually makes a good game.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

KeenRush wrote:Nah, I have absolutely no interest in that expo. There's a ridiculous amount of useless technology already, and I could bet most of those new games are all about technology instead of something else that actually makes a good game.

Indeed. Heh unfortunately video games went downhill a lot of time ago, when people began to consider graphics and storylines to be most important than the gameplay, which essentially is what really makes a game good, because...

If I want a good plot, I can read a book or watch a movie.
If I want something good-looking I can look for wallpapers and concept arts on google.
But gameplay is not something you find in books, movies or wallpapers. Gameplay is what makes a game fun. A game doesn't need to be innovative, to be good, it only needs to be FUN. Unfortunately not everyone seems to agree with me here... which explains why old games were better than current ones.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I agree with you. But that doesn't make all the new games bad. My point is there are many excellent games out there with great gameplay, but you just didn't have the chance to try them or you're avoiding them. You may experiment with different games more often or read reviews to select the better ones.

Most people complaining about gameplay issues have bought some crap games in the past. And they conclude that this is general for all the games. Which is wrong. If you're looking for a good platformer, there are many. If you're looking for good shooter, there are many. Racers, strategy, RPG - you name it! Actually, you should be considered lucky because the gameplay may still be the same (or improved), but you've also got the great graphics, sounds, music, multiplayer etc..

This is a whole other subject. Instead lets talk about E3 if anyone is interested in it and have some impressions of it.
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

CKeen wrote:Heh unfortunately video games went downhill a lot of time ago,
Just remember, Arari, Atari, Atari.

Videogames were NEVER good, but perhaps you haven't realized that yet.

You get what you want out of a game. I like in-depth games such as Morrowind or Baldurs Gate a LOT. (I LOVE fantasy) But I don't waste my time or money on things like the Lord of the Rings garg games, why? Because they suck.

I also love Sci-Fi and horror. I liked Alone in the Dark when most of the gaming community rejected it. I love Dead Space. (and so does everyone else) But I never will touch Team Fortress 2. Others love it. I love just about everything ever made by ID Software. Most of us on the PCKF hate their work.

You should see things more objectionably, here. There are many games for many tastes. Think as video games sort of like printed media.

Not ONLY do you have long, in depth books which tell GREAT stories and are entertaining, but you also have arcadey type styles that could be compared to magazines. You have games made to inform or provoke thought. You have games that are action-packed and don't care about plot so much or care more about artistic presentation sort of like a comic book. (Remember XIII?) Then you have games which are complete garbage. (Black Sight) It's no different than textual media. In fact, I've always seen video / computer games as the next evolutionary step in artistic media. Think about it as how far we have come as the human race, within the past 20 years.

Games are our next books, they are our next movies, they are what you make of them, but to say they are all garg is looking at them wrong. What you like, others dislike. What you hate, others love.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I agree.

But my personal feelings are, too that the gaming industry has been going downhill in terms of creativity (as well as film & music industries).
But I don't see it as that unfortunate, in fact I'm glad that there's so much out there not worth trying, else I'd never have enough time to explore it all.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

Very interesting how there's been a huge backlash of oldschool remake games this year.

When pretty much all types of games are invented, sidescrollers, platformers, FPS, point-and-click and RPGs, it really seems stupid to take out a specific genera just because it's "old." Well done I say. About time.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

KeenRush wrote:Nah, I have absolutely no interest in that expo. There's a ridiculous amount of useless technology already, and I could bet most of those new games are all about technology instead of something else that actually makes a good game.
Huh? A lot of these DO seem to look like interesting, fun games though. Plus they're actually experimenting.

Which press conferences did you look at? Only Nintendo's pretty much had all the good, original stuff.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Vidyagaemz is a glamour industry. One that you don't necessarily need to be a glamorous person to join (in fact, it's often the opposite! 8) ), which is novel!

Anywayze, the ridiculous focus on hardware is in the interests of the publishers, since they're just marketing the product, not making it. Flash games don't require thousands of dollars of hardware that people don't already own, and they make comparably sweet amounts of mad cash too, without having spectacular and unnecessary visual realism. Someday, the console game publishers will realise just how cheap yet effective this alternative actually is, and then the bottom will drop out of the console arms race. Enjoy it while it lasts, kids.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

That's crazy. What you're saying is kinda ridiculous and it's not gonna happen. Unless you are making the game that will change the gaming world as we know it. No? You have to explain better to the kids how this would happen rather than trolling around. I'm no expert and I understand flash is all good'n'glory, but c'mon:

1. This is not the way the things are working. If people are willing to pay (and believe me, they are), this wont happen. They're making mad cash without flash.
2. Linux is out there for decades, but Windows is more popular and people do prefer to buy rather then to migrate to free alternatives. Why the publisher bother with flash too?
3. Apple is disabling flash from all its devices. There's a reason.
4. Didn't saw a single major successful flash game out there even though flash is from decades. Why they aren't migrated already? I'll be glad to show me The Flash Game.
5. HTML5 is here. HTML5>flash. What you're saying might have better chances to happen but with HTML5. And this won't happen in the near 5 years.
6. Consoles have all kind of peripherals that PCs don't.
7. There are tons of flash games out there, but the majority of people play some farm game for facebook. Flash is good only for casual gamers and that's why it won't succeed in everything else.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Well, on the matter of graphics vs story vs gameplay, I think all those factors are important. The problem is in the balancing. Eg., take what's happening with a lot of the remakes of square's old rpgs and you'll see they're cramming in a lot more text with better writing to make up for the horrible engrish that plagued the originals (at least so far as I can tell with english versions), but they overcompensated. Right before the hardest bosses you have to painfully sit through 20 minute cutscenes full of unskippable dialogue to get another chance to figure out how to beat the thing, then you lose and have to sit through it all over again. It's way too story intensive, or rather, there are too many expository lumps when a few concise sentances would have done the same job more effectively. Too much story, you're not getting enough gameplay, and graphics could be anywhere on the spectrum.

Then take something, like pacman. It's fun and addicting in and of itself, but when you take the time to analyze it, it really is stupid. What is this yellow blob and why is it his destiny to eat pellets for all eternity? Why are ghosts chasing him? Was it really necessary to copy and paste everything except the main character's sprites to produce "sequels" or "spinoffs" in the form of Mrs. Pacman and Pacman Jr.? Although the graphics are blocky and simple, they have a certain charm to them that actually makes it more appealing than if it were more realistic, but I can see if other people don't share this opinion.

But really, what a lot of people think is a matter of "quality" or "progress", it's really just personal tastes. People like different kinds of stories and hate others that many would consider entertaining. People like different kinds of art and have different favorite colors. What some might think as fun or thought provoking, others might think is repetitive or boring. All the glamor and hype tried to trick people into thinking 3D was insta-superiority or some garg like that. Back when 3D was new, it was hotter than a boiled egg on a california sidewalk in july because it was unexperienced and eye-catching. But now everyone's used to it, and some awesome folks (like capcom with megaman for example) are getting the right idea to try doing things the way they like it or the way it's meant to be without worrying about the pressure of uh... outdated technologicalness.

But the thing I'm disappointed in is dragging on all these old IPs forever (except duke forever, ironically). Even if they made another mario sequel the right way, which they're clearly doing with new super mario bros. games... I'm just not into it. I love the classic games. The moustachio'd plumber makes a great mascot, but really, I just feel all the new games about him are unnecessary cash cows(which they are), even though it seems miyamoto still has the passion and is genuinely trying to keep it fresh and interesting... it's old, and miyamoto is a tired old man. Please, you corporate money grubbers at NOJ, let the man retire and get some sleep :(

Garg, what I intended to be a quick 3-sentance post turned into another giant wall of death :garg
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

I don't know. If you're not into it, I can't convince you.

Here's footage of the "new contra" :) :
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... ing/700568
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Post by _mr_m_ »

I'm kind of looking forward to Portal 2..
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall