I feel it's time to change things.

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

I feel it's time to change things.

Post by Dynamo »

I already know everyone is going to hate me for this but I don't care whatsoever. Let me explain the problem a bit.

A while ago, Grimson opened this thread to discuss about some important matters. Unfortunately, as I expected, the thread got fucl up and everyone went off topic as usual. Now I'd like to bring that topic back by opening a new one.

Let's start with this... I've not joined the internet yesterday so I can say I know how stuff works here. I've seen communities growing in size and becoming popular, and then falling from grace. Admins being too nice and tolerant + the community becoming more and more popular = death of said community.

Which is what will happen here as well if things don't change immediately. There are too many stupid threads and yes, too many users that post just for the sake of posting. Cereal polls, going off topic all the time even on threads that are important, stupid threads that make no sense whatsoever, annoying attitude in certain occasions, never-ending requests on updates regarding projects and the list goes on.

Personally I've had enough of this.

Of course I am not a moderator or an admin but I think I should say my opinion anyway. I think that in order to make this a better place for everyone the moderators should use an iron fist instead. Take a look at these rules for example. YES MINK THEY ARE FROM SKULLRANT
#1 - This site isn't exclusive to anyone in particular, but chances are if you're not welcome to the channel, or we just flat-out don't like you, you most likely aren't welcome here. In other words, if we hate you, get out

#2 - Don't spam ALL THE TIME. It's stupid and makes you look stupid.

#3 - Try not to make arguments too personal; I.E: "You only say that because your mother was a one night stand!". This includes flaming and harassment.

#4 - Keep it somewhat civil. Being silly is fine, but sometimes people WANT to have a NORMAL conversation.

#5 - If several people tell you that nobody cares, chances are pretty good that nobody cares. Stop posting.

#6 - Respect others opinions. Just because someone doesn't see things the way you do that doesn't make him an asshole.

#7 - Don't jump into serious conversations if you have no arguments. In other words, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

#8 - The burden of proof is on you. If someone calls you out on a mistake, you better bring the proof with you when you reply.
I think that if modified a bit these would make the best rules for this forums as well as every other forums on the internet.

I know I have spammed too before on this site but I don't do that ALL THE TIME. As the above rules say, "Being silly is fine, but sometimes people WANT to have a NORMAL conversation.". If you look at that Grimson thread, it seems nobody seems to agree with this one.

If you have nothing interesting to say and just want to say cereal, don't post. Find something better to do. Play a game. Get a girlfriend. Go out with friends. Do whatever you want but don't be a retard.

I also hope the moderators and admins won't take this as an offense, because I'm only expressing my opinion about how things are going in here.

So in the end, I'm pretty sure that now that I've said this, some people are going to come up with "Wait wut where's teh cereal poll?" "LOL SRS BZNZ THIS IS THE INTERNET BRO" and stuff. If this happens then I'll officially lost all hope for this community, I think. In other words, if you don't want to contribute to this thread and just want to be an idiot, please DON'T POST.
Last edited by Dynamo on Sat Jun 26, 2010 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Re: I feel it's time to change things.

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

CKeen wrote:Get a girlfriend.
hmm I didn't know levellass rolled that way :rolleyes
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Re: I feel it's time to change things.

Post by Dynamo »

VikingBoyBilly wrote:
CKeen wrote:Get a girlfriend.
hmm I didn't know levellass rolled that way :rolleyes
If you don't want to contribute to this thread and just want to be an idiot, please DON'T POST. I am trying to have a NORMAL conversation here damn it. Go somewhere else but stay away from here unless you want to contribute. You already spammed Grimson's thread, isn't that enough for you?
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Is it possible to give members the power to moderate their own threads? That would relieve a lot of stress on the admins, if it worked.
Also, a lot of forums have an option to ban members from starting threads.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

I agree, this forum is about to explode. We do need a little stricter control. Most of the problem is the Misc. forum, why not just get rid of it? It's causing too many problems.

Wow, for once I agree with CKeen.

EDIT: noes, RoboBlue ninja'd me. :crazy
Remmirath
Grunt

Post by Remmirath »

I agree with CKeen's statements.

Being a moderator on Skulltag, I've seen how things've gone so far, and they've not gone well. That's why we're now going to be more strict on rules and we're going to use an iron fist.

I don't want garg to come up on here too, so I hope you will follow those suggestions a bit.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I don't agree with CKeen. The balance this place has between Freedom and Seriousness is to be treasured. I've known forums go in both directions, both to the detriment of themselves and their members. You need a few fun topics! I agree that they shouldn't dominate but neither should they be excluded.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I like the silliness on the forum too, but I think some members tend to get a bit out of hand with starting stupid topics. It really does lose its novelty quickly and starts to become annoying. I don't mind the silly/lighthearted posts in serious threads, but that may just be that I don't really take stuff very seriously anyway. :P (For instance, VBB's post wouldn't have bothered me at all)
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

DHeadshot wrote:I don't agree with CKeen. The balance this place has between Freedom and Seriousness is to be treasured. I've known forums go in both directions, both to the detriment of themselves and their members. You need a few fun topics! I agree that they shouldn't dominate but neither should they be excluded.
Well... As I said in my post, being silly is fine but there's a limit to everything so perhaps you misunderstood my first port, since you said "I agree that they shouldn't dominate but neither should they be excluded" which is also what I think. I mean every once in a while even I open stupid threads but take a look at the misc section, there are way too many of them.
StupidBunny wrote:I like the silliness on the forum too, but I think some members tend to get a bit out of hand with starting stupid topics. It really does lose its novelty quickly and starts to become annoying. I don't mind the silly/lighthearted posts in serious threads, but that may just be that I don't really take stuff very seriously anyway. :P (For instance, VBB's post wouldn't have bothered me at all)
The post bothered me especially becaused I said "if you don't have anything intelligent to say don't post" yet he HAD to post something stupid. So I also see this as a form of disrespect towards me, although yeah as you said, this is the internet so I shouldn't bother in the end.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I think we just have different definitions of "too many". I'm happy with 60% here if there are practically none in the majority of the bb...
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

#1 - This site isn't exclusive to anyone in particular, but chances are if you're not welcome to the channel, or we just flat-out don't like you, you most likely aren't welcome here. In other words, if we hate you, get out
Sounds harsh. I'd like to know what exactly you mean. People rarely agree with everyone, there are disagreements, one doesn't like the other, etc. Still no reason to ban anyone. Maybe if everyone agrees.
#4 - Keep it somewhat civil. Being silly is fine, but sometimes people WANT to have a NORMAL conversation.
Right, you have hit the nail on the head. When someone starts a serious, or using your vocabulary, normal conversation, I doubt he or she likes it to be derailed by spam posts. For example look at the Keen 9 developement thread. It has derailed completely several times during the absence of any new material, and this did NOT make Ceilick happy.
#6 - Respect others opinions. Just because someone doesn't see things the way you do that doesn't make him an asshole.
What I said to #1.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Rule No. 1 is rubbish. It's basically saying that popularity is the most important thing. That's entirely untrue.

No. 6 makes sense - basically you can have all the debates you want, but you have to respect the point of view held by the other person, even if it contradicts everything you believe in. Respecting a point of view does not require agreeing to it. As a continuation of this point, you must respect the person who holds that view point. Even if a racist jerk joins the forum, expresses the view that black people are the spawn of Satan and treats people like scum, you must still respect him and his point of view, even as KR presses the ban button. Don't sink to the level of the lowest common denominator, but instead rise abof them and show superiority through kindness.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Well those rules were taken from another site and I kept the first one there because I find it funny. I said later in the post that the rules should of course be modified :p
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

I agree. How many sub-forums can there be? I suggest adding a "cereal" subforum to go along with Misc. :P
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

How about a cereal megathread? OR A WHOLE CEREAL SITE? :dead2