News *play country- and channel-appropriate news theme now*

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

Scarlet wrote:Calgary flooded!

Photos of the aftermath... http://bizboxtv.com/calgary-flooding-20 ... res-video/

Some 200,000 were displaced I think.
Just under 100,000 actually, but still absolutely insane! The downtown was completely abandoned with bridges closed and power turned off, it was like a post-apocalyptic wasteland!
Fleexy wrote:YouTube celebrates LGBT pride

I wonder if that has anything to do with Exodus closing.
More likely it had to do with the Supreme Court of the United States ruling that California must resume issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

But more than 100,000 for all of Alberta?
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Scarlet wrote:Calgary flooded!
Photos of the aftermath... http://bizboxtv.com/calgary-flooding-20 ... res-video/
Some 200,000 were displaced I think.
Some more aftermath. Reminds me of the Louisiana and New York floods from the hurricanes:
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/06 ... ing-flood/
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I know, that escalated quickly.

Also, I'll fill in for DHeadshot and with you all a Happy Backstabbing Jerks Day
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The problem in Egypt is protesters are not good leaders. They want change but cannot put in the long run needed to achieve it.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

It's okay, there's no shortage of people wanting to try to lead, and those would-be-leaders now have to tread more carefully around their exacting standards.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

WANTING yes, GOOD, no.

The problem with the protesters is that everyone has their desired leader but those are all different people. Muhummad was the leader supported by most of the population, that is, not even 50% No matter who gets in most of the country will hate them and they're not going to get much chance to change anything before people get mad and want them out. (And NO, that's NOT the same as in America, you don't know how good you have it!)
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Post by Keening_Product »

As much as I would have preferred a secular leader, at least that he was thrown out by the military showed he wasn't an army puppet.

Also, I just realised this thread turned three two days ago.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Levellass wrote:Muhummad was the leader supported by most of the population, that is, not even 50% No matter who gets in most of the country will hate them and they're not going to get much chance to change anything before people get mad and want them out. (And NO, that's NOT the same as in America, you don't know how good you have it!)
There are voting systems that measure broad acceptability:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borda_count
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Approval_voting

First past the post is kinda a joke in this regard (and the reason the dual-party system has survived so long despite so much discontent - there's no other realistic choice to vote for), so America's not really much better off. It's just that, unlike the egyptians, we're far too lazy to actually protest anything.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As long as there's one clear winner that doesn't have to listen to anyone else the two party system will survive. Politics is a snipe hunt.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

You're forgetting the reason they don't have to listen to anyone else: even if their constituents are pissed off, they only really have the same two options to vote for (and the voter has already shown a preference, however begrudged, for the one of the two they're voting for). The voting systems I linked to would make the third option much more viable. Should the two main parties both become unpopular, they would face downward pressure as both their constituents also vote for the others. (In fact, they probably wouldn't have gotten to such a powerful state in the first place.)

The two-party system is more a long-term artifact of first-past-the-post voting systems, where these third parties are made unfeasible once any two popular ones get established.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

The problem being the two main parties *never* become unpopular.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Then mission fucl accomplished. But it's not a black-and-white issue. Even if a third party never sees significant gains, they'd at least see more gains than in this case, putting pressure on the dominant parties to not piss people off. Having more competition helps to keep you more honest, in short.

In reality, I'm not convinced that two parties would've gotten in such a dominant position in the first place. Whereas first-past-the-post ensures that, once two popular parties have been established, any voters for alternative parties would waste their votes, this disincentive would be much reduced (in the case of approval voting, eliminated entirely) with the other voting schemes.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Holy sh!t, Toronto floods now too!

The water god is really angry at Canada it seems!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/dramatic-p ... -1.1358806
Join us for netkeen! irc://irc.foonetic.net/netkeen
Stay classy, Scarlet.
Ha, you really are a fucling legend aren't you you neocon netnanny.
By jove... You have exceptional taste in games, Scarlet!