Scott Pilgrim is "Twilight" for boys.

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Toomuchsparetime wrote:The fact that Scott Pilgrim was played by Michael "Plays A Naive Awkward Youth In Every One Of His Movies" Cera was what saved it from being complete and utter wish-fulfillment Gary Stu tripe like the comic was. Is. In the comics SP has no redeemingly charming awkwardness. He's just Goku pretending to be a 24 y/o slacker and sometimes pulling it off. Or at least the part that I've read was.

So as cheesy as Cera's typecasting usually is, it seemed to work in the movie's favour for once, instead of turning it into "lol michael cera you goose".
That's really interesting; the reason I chose to read the comics, rather than watch the movie, was because I am very much against Michael Cera's typical role in movies. Hearing you say that he was the lone GOOD feature of the film not only confuses me, but cements my decision to wait for the DVD release, and watch someone else's copy. :)
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

What Would Scott Pilgrim Do?

Why, he'd torrent it of course. :disguised
wildrooster
Vortininja

Post by wildrooster »

Tintin is good, but hardly the best.
wildrooster
Vortininja

Post by wildrooster »

BTW, finally beat Scott Pilgrim on XBLA. Friggin so much fun.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Watched it last night. Brilliantly surreal and hilarious. The comic and video game stylings really worked well.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Now to troll an Adam West Batman forum by telling them that the cartoony comic-book sound FX etc in the 1960's Batman TV show was an idea taken from Scott Pilgrim vs the World. :evil
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Toomuchsparetime wrote:Now to troll an Adam West Batman forum by telling them that the cartoony comic-book sound FX etc in the 1960's Batman TV show was an idea taken from Scott Pilgrim vs the World. :evil
Adam West is the only Batman as far as I'm concerned - dark and gritty superheroes are over-rated.

... Why else do you think the biggest superhero to come out of Britain is Bananaman!?
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Contrary to my previous comments on the film, I rather enjoyed it, and the graphic novel and game look promising as well.

I'm a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan, and I found all the references in the book and film to be very surprising.