who wants gmail?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

What's exactly the problem here? Confused
Note 'Confused' rather than : confused. And 'Happy' earlier on rather than : ). Is this happening to anyone else? I notice you and DaVince correctly quoted an emotikeen... did you have to manually change it?
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

Speaking of weird grudges, I don't like graphical smiles. :) I prefer mine to be text-only!

For a while, I was wondering what kind of history was being kept about who invited who, and what accounts were linked to whomever... I'd imagine a chart/diagram of the family tree of Google Gmail would be fascinating.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

I see emoticons fine in the quotes in this topic -- except in quotes in your posts, Spleen. Hah, this is strange, now when I think about it, it might be that emoticons quoted by you are the only ones that show up this strange way. :dopekeen No idea what could be doing that...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Maybe Spleen's copying and pasting instead of using the quote button? It uses the alt text when I copy and paste, but it puts in the right code when I use the quote button.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Hmm... I'd glazed over that quote button. Probably because it seems inconvenient to quote an entire post and trim out the stuff I want to address. That and I have a distrust of automated processes.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Commander Spleen wrote:Hmm... I'd glazed over that quote button. Probably because it seems inconvenient to quote an entire post and trim out the stuff I want to address. This sentence has been automatically added by an automatic process. That and I have a distrust of automated processes.
Wherever did you get this mistrust from??
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Microsoft, electronic banking, mobile phones, The Games Factory... anything with features that try to 'make life easier' by taking away a degree of control or without explaining what they're actually doing. I prefer to take the helm at a low level and make sure things get done right, even if it means doing things the long way around.

Something like that, anyway. That's probably more of a conscious story that's evolved around a general subconscious paranoia. Thoughts and attitudes are funny that way.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Either you missed the joke, or you're to subtle for me ...
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Most likely I missed the joke, but it could also be a bit of both. :crazy
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Definitely not both. :p Reread the post with my question in it. Carefully.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

I did notice the 'typo', in both posts, but have developed a polite habit of overlooking such things. Seem's its worked against me today.

Better add 'spell checkers' to the list, I suppose.
Last edited by Commander Spleen on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:53, edited 1 time in total.
xtraverse
Stranded Fish

Post by xtraverse »

KR - what you are probably referring to is that even if you delete your email in GMail, google still has a copy of it somewhere on their server, so it exists somewhere but no one except google has access to it.
Retodon8
Vortininja

Post by Retodon8 »

Commander Spleen wrote:Note 'Confused' rather than : confused. And 'Happy' earlier on rather than : ). Is this happening to anyone else? I notice you and DaVince correctly quoted an emotikeen... did you have to manually change it?
If you have bad/no eyesight and have an on-screen reader, "Confused" said out loud would be much better than "Colon confused", or whatever it would end up like.
"Colon closing bracket" (again, or whatever) wouldn't be as helpful as "Happy" either.
Besides, ":)" semantically still is a collection of characters; a computer (for instance spiders/crawlers) won't (by default) realize it's supposed to be a representation of a face.

If you've just disabled images for some reason, or are using a text-only browser (Telnet session?) and are reading the actual text, I suppose a quick ":)" would be easier on the eyes, but that's not what the "alt" attribute was invented for.

Maybe there's another reason, but I can't think of any myself right now.
Retodon8
Sheep happens
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Commander Spleen wrote:Hmm... I'd glazed over that quote button. Probably because it seems inconvenient to quote an entire post and trim out the stuff I want to address. That and I have a distrust of automated processes.
What the hell, the quote button's always worked fine. Don't be afraid to use it. ;)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Indeed. :) Also, glad the problem has been located, the problem was in the user as always. 8)

There's a "Preview" button that I always use, it's a good way to see whether one has quoted correctly or not. ;)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.