atm card?

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.

Do smartcard's prevent skimming?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 2

Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

atm card?

Post by Rorie »

is your atm card a smartcard or a normal swipe card?

smartcard

normal swipe card
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It's an ANZ VISA debit card. By the look of it that classifies as a "smartcard".
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

As a supporter of less trackable bargains, I use cash whenever possible -- I have a card, and by the looks of it it's a smartcard like that. I even went so far that at the bank I asked them to disable the ability to pay with it, so I have no way but to take cash. :lol Yeah, my plan has backfired a bit, couple of times I've really needed money and no bank automat nearby...
Edit: Fucl electronic payment! :goth
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Can you even get ATM smartcards in Australia? I've never seen any banks offering them (but granted I haven't really looked.) Smartcards have a chip embedded in them, which is what that gold square is under the Nordea logo - it's divided into eight or so contacts that are connected to the chip.

You might want to start using cards more though KR, one day you might want to buy a car or a house, and when you apply for a loan it really helps if they can see that you're in control of your spending. If you only pay in cash, it makes it that much harder for them to work out, and they might not lend you as much money as you'd like.

You only need to use cash for things you really don't want anyone to know about :dopekeen
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Malvineous wrote:when you apply for a loan it really helps if they can see that you're in control of your spending.
What if he's not?

I prefer to deal in cash. Hands-on money is so much more fun than invisible swipe-away money. If Monopoly was remade to use an eftpos system, it'd be a whole lot less fun.

Although, shuffling money around online is fun too, as long as you have enough accounts to play with.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

I'm pretty sure I once saw some sort of 'electronic payment' Monopoly, with no paper money. I couldn't believe it! Who would want that? It completely removes all the best parts of the game--whipping out a secret stash of money from under the board, having arguments over dubious banker activity, etc.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hey, so if they can't see my spending history, shouldn't they think that I have only had income and no 'outcome' at all, thus making me able to shorten my loan faster? :dopekeen Anyways, thanks for the tip, but I don't think I will be trying to buy anything so expensive that I needed such massive loans. Or then hopefully I'm stopped by this and won't make the mistake of taking such.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Haha, well I suppose if KR isn't in control of his spending then it's probably better to use cash...I guess that's the one problem with electronic spending - it's easy to forget how much you've spent.

I hate using physical cash, coins weigh down your wallet, you have to plan everything and carry around huge sums of money if you want to buy anything expensive... I find it much easier to just whip out a card whenever I see something I want to get. I usually only carry around $20 cash with me for "emergencies", and that lasts me 3-4 months...

(Oh and most Monopoly PC games effectively use electronic payment, because the PC does all the calculations for you...I agree in that case it does remove some of the fun, but hey, you can pull out a secret stash from under the board in real life with electronic transfers too - it's called having a Swiss bank account :dopekeen)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

CK Guy wrote:whipping out a secret stash of money from under the board, having arguments over dubious banker activity, etc.
Ah, good times. :lol

Years ago some friends and I discussed playing Monopoly with real money, and it's been one of my goals since then. We're getting closer to actually being able to do it. Problem is, it's gonna get tricky having the largest note as $100.

I suppose we could just convert our money into some ground-floor currency, but where's the fun in that? Besides, then we'd have to go around changing all the dollar signs on the board.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

You could change the dollar signs to cents, so you start out with 1500 cents...then anyone can afford to play :P

At any rate you can quite easily play Monopoly with real money, it's called Real Estate - unfortunately it takes a lot longer than a game of Monopoly though :-(
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Malvineous wrote:... Real Estate ...
"Go directly to jail."
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol

I'd like to find the starting point again and walk past it to get some extra money...
Galaxieretter
Arachnut

Post by Galaxieretter »

:lol You guys are great!

When I was in bootcamp was the first time I saw a smart card. They issued "computer chip" cards to all the new recruits. They were only useable on the base store which the drill instructors would try to get you to spend money on things you didn't need. This was also done so if some dork would run off base into the civillian world their money would be inacessable.

I don't recommend a 'smart card' to anyone as I don't know what is on the chip, what can be done with it and because 99.9% of everywhere doesn't take it.

It doesn't matter because when I opened my last bank account I told the guy flat out I don't want a debit card for my account. I did it to make my money harder to get to so I can't just whip out an ATM card in Wall Mart and start spending. Electronic spending is a scam. The only card you need is a credit card.
Malvineous
Shikadi Webmaster

Post by Malvineous »

Galaxieretter wrote:I don't recommend a 'smart card' to anyone as I don't know what is on the chip...The only card you need is a credit card.
But do you know what's stored on the magnetic strip on the back of your credit card? Probably much the same as what's on the smartcard chip :-)
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

i'm with st.george & i am glad that they are considering smart cards i don't want to be skimmed when using an atm especially when i am overseas especially when i am in thailand or every other parts of the world
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!