Donald Duck and Life in America

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Re: Donald Duck and Life in America

Post by RoboBlue »

KelinciHutan wrote:Do I feel that we're surrounded by multiple Glenn Becks who are hoping to take people's frustration and turn it into rioting in the streets? Nope.
I think the point of the video was more that Glenn Beck claims he's more trustworthy than other political figures, but really all he cares about is money.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

So Donald is out of job and home and has spent his last penny on a radio that insults him.

That ending wasn't happy... :(
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

oh man, even thinking about that makes me sick.

Well, I'll soon find out if the situation really is like that over here, because I'm gonna have to throw myself on the job market pretty soon.

It is difficult to even begin to explain how messed up things are over here.

I am a conservative, I love being a conservative, and I'm quite frankly amused by how afraid people seem to be of folks like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh.
I am conservative too. But, in the US there is this neoconservative movement that is something totally different. It's paranoid and messed up.

The other question is what do you mean when you say conservative. You mean that you feel that free markets and free trade is the answer to all our problems. You know, those guys that say that the highest peak that a country can get to is where there is as little government control as there can be, everything else being in the private sector... that is not what it means to be conservative. That is part of a paranoid and messed up movement, originating on the liberal side, far from conservatives.

So it's this vague labeling that confuses me. The point is that neoliberalism is a failure, and always was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP2V_np ... r_embedded
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Well y'know, there's conservative, which is about conserving things, and then there's preservative, which is just impractical, overapplied nostalgia. Not the same thing, but always lumped together (for better or for worse). Nostalgia is very trendy and hip with all the cool kids at the moment, so there's a good reason for taking that angle. For the moment. Half a century ago society looked to the future for better times. Now we know better, but looking to repeat the past instead is at least equally foolish.
Not that both don't still happen.

I don't think anyone is naive enough to truly believe that "the answer to all our problems" exists and can be described in one sentence, although some people get paid to pretend to be.

There will always be crazies on every side to alienate everyone! :crazy Luckily they tend to alienate each other, so having them unite for any useful length of time is rare.