Ding dong

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Ding dong

Post by Shadow Master »

Just passing by to let you know that I'm still alive and resumed work on the Meta engine, rewriting it from scratch to use SDL instead of Allegro. And no, I won't use any OpenGL or other 3D-related stuff.

I just wish Id Software released the rights during my absence. The game engine will have to be developed for a different game, something else than a Keen remake, so that I don't run into legal issues.

I'll also release my unfinished Keen1 mod's artwork and other files soon, for the curious.
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Hi. Well, no news of ye olde rights or sources meanwhile... Too bad your mod wasn't finished, as your level making is great (as seen in the level competition), and the few graphics I've seen likewise...
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
ckguy
Bipship Engineer

Post by ckguy »

Which level was Shadow Master's? I'll have to check it out.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Why are you abandoning Allegro? Especially now that version 5 is finally under development, with all manner of new features. There'll be no DOS version if you go with SDL! :(

Good to hear you're still working on it.
Shadow Master
Lord of the Shikadi

Post by Shadow Master »

At the time I decided to switch back to SDL I didn't get news of Allegro 5. Um...

It was a decission I had postponed for a long time. Although I must say I miss Allegro's functionality and I have to write many things (i.e. graphics primitives) from scratch for SDL, I prefer to do stuff my way because I know why I wrote stuff to be that way.

And no, I didn't like SDL_mm. :p