subSilver board style

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Grimson wrote:I'd like a little darker skin...I'm not fond of bright styles (because they stress eyes and are less energy-efficient).
But not all black - that with white text always sets my teeth on edge.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

We need a Mortimer Skin. It could be the default for March 15th.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Grimson wrote:I'd like a little darker skin...I'm not fond of bright styles (because they stress eyes and are less energy-efficient).
White on a black background is what stresses eyes for me, so it'd definitely need to be a separate theme.

Also, I don't think energy consumption will make a difference? All pixels are permanently powered when the monitor is on (unless it's on standby)... This is demonstrated clearly by the fact that each black pixel is indeed also "rendered", since they look so different from when the display is actually off.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Haha Blackle eat your heart out.

I think that some monitors shut down black pixels, but not all of them. or I'm just getting confused :crazy
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

What about a theme to look like an old-school BBS? With ASCII art and everything up there.. possibly white on black like a DOS screen. :crazy
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

White on a black background is what stresses eyes for me, so it'd definitely need to be a separate theme.
I never said anything about black :confused
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Levellass and hackercat's ideas are made of win.
With a Mortimer theme, the default setting could get rid of the slide-to-Mortimer in its logo.
Other themes could be based on locations. Mars, Vorticon VI, Gnosticus IV, Omegamatic, Fribbilous Xax.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Post by DaVince »

Grimson wrote:
Well, you did say "darker". The current theme is already quite non-white so I assumed you meant much darker.
Checked that site... Interesting. :confused I'm not gonna argue with someone who apparently studied this kind of thing, though. Not that having more blackness on your screen really makes a difference.
Wow look at me I'm lurking
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DaVince wrote:
Grimson wrote:
Well, you did say "darker". The current theme is already quite non-white so I assumed you meant much darker.
Checked that site... Interesting. :confused I'm not gonna argue with someone who apparently studied this kind of thing, though. Not that having more blackness on your screen really makes a difference.
Who studied it? :P
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Not for me, I see white everywhere. By "darker" I meant something closer to this.
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Grimson wrote:
Not for me, I see white everywhere. By "darker" I meant something closer to this.
Nice, but I don't think that it'd suit the PCKF. Keen was always solid colour stuff in menus etc., I reckon we should stick to that maybe. Dark blue would be nice though.
wildrooster
Vortininja

Post by wildrooster »

thehackercat wrote:What about a theme to look like an old-school BBS? With ASCII art and everything up there.. possibly white on black like a DOS screen. :crazy
That would be awesome! Makes me miss my old BBS.
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

It makes me miss my old BBS and I never even had one.

If this site could be made to look similar to DOS edit, that would be awesome. But I doubt it could be done well.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Commander Spleen wrote: If this site could be made to look similar to DOS edit, that would be awesome. But I doubt it could be done well.
THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CHALLENGE GOOD SIR!

Okay, should we try working on that idea? Who thinks yes?
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Hmm, would there be a way to have the user decide if an embedded MIDI plays or not? I'm thinking an old Amiga chiptune in the background, or some Keen music. :P ONLY if the user could choose, though. Otherwise, it'd just be annoying.