And now, Libya...

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Hee, hee.
RoboBlue wrote:For a complete outsider, the only solid definition of Christianity is the "I read the bible and believe all of it" one
Yep, that's me. :)
RoboBlue wrote:The Bible contradicts itself horribly (being written by many different people) and advocates some pretty disturbing, rash things
Depends on what you mean by "contradict"... A lot of seeming contradictions, when placed in context, make total sense. And if every story exactly agreed with every other version of that story, it would prove that the Bible was a lie and that all the people who wrote it conspired together. Our family takes quite a few vacations, and always journal our days very well. When two journals disagree about something, does that mean that that thing never happened? No indeed. Oftentimes, the differences can be explained (Usually by just saying "oh, Dad probably remembered the actual order of what we did that day, unlike me. :P).

"Rash" is also another thing in the eye of the beholder. ;)
RoboBlue wrote:It would save everyone a lot of hate and confusion if someone could just re-edit the bible for the 21st century.
Already been done. Take a look at "The Message". As far as I've heard, it's really good at sticking to the original Greek and Hebrew texts while making more sense to a 21st century mind. :)
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Also, some certain harsh Hebrew laws are included in the Old Testament - to understand the meaning of the New Testament, one needs to have at least a passing understanding of Rabbinic Judaism (along with the Messianic prophecy that came along with it).
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

RoboBlue wrote:For a complete outsider, the only solid definition of Christianity is the "I read the bible and believe all of it" one, since no one has any way of knowing what parts any one individual believes.
It's even less than that: "I believe in the divinity of Christ [and possibly some other aspects, such as that he died for sins]".

When you get down to it, the Bible is a collection of writings that one does not have to take literally, or even at all true. Some Christians just discount the Old Testament as primarily Jewish mythology (or, at the very least, a history book not really inspired by God). There's no reason some couldn't do the same to, for example, Paul, some of whose raging (e.g. against homosexuals) seems distinctly cultural, or to John, whose Book of Revelation is simply weird.

[Yes, this is something I've deduced from reading that site.]
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

KeenEmpire wrote:It's even less than that: "I believe in the divinity of Christ [and possibly some other aspects, such as that he died for sins]".

When you get down to it, the Bible is a collection of writings that one does not have to take literally, or even at all true. Some Christians just discount the Old Testament as primarily Jewish mythology (or, at the very least, a history book not really inspired by God). There's no reason some couldn't do the same to, for example, Paul, some of whose raging (e.g. against homosexuals) seems distinctly cultural, or to John, whose Book of Revelation is simply weird.
I know a few "Christians" who don't believe in the divinity of Christ. Ironically they all go to church regularly. When asked "what makes you a Christian?", one of them told me "because I say I am." The problem with this is that Christianity claims to help people and solve problems, but if your doctor practiced medicine without a diploma he'd be put in prison.
The fact that one does not have to take the bible literally is irrelevant, because many people do, and I have never once heard a pastor mention during a service that "none of this stuff actually happened", so it's certainly encouraged.
thehackercat wrote:Also, some certain harsh Hebrew laws are included in the Old Testament - to understand the meaning of the New Testament, one needs to have at least a passing understanding of Rabbinic Judaism (along with the Messianic prophecy that came along with it).
Why is that necessary? The Old Testament does provide backstory for the New Testament, but it's hardly necessary for most Christians. Jesus lived in an oppressive theocracy that tried to shut him up, and that's most of what you need to know.
Most damningly, Christians totally ignore most, if not all Jewish laws, including the Ten Commandments.
MOM4Evr wrote:Hee, hee.
Depends on what you mean by "contradict"... A lot of seeming contradictions, when placed in context, make total sense. And if every story exactly agreed with every other version of that story, it would prove that the Bible was a lie and that all the people who wrote it conspired together. Our family takes quite a few vacations, and always journal our days very well. When two journals disagree about something, does that mean that that thing never happened? No indeed. Oftentimes, the differences can be explained (Usually by just saying "oh, Dad probably remembered the actual order of what we did that day, unlike me. :P).
Jesus liberally interpreted the laws as he saw fit. While I think we can agree that his interpretations made more sense than the fairly strict laws of the time, in Mark 2:23-28 he presumes to reinterpret the third commandment, which (even in the current bible) very strictly states that no work shall be done on the sabbath. However, Matthew 5:17 sees Jesus claiming that he has not come to destroy the law, even though he re-interpreted and broke it constantly.
"Rash" is also another thing in the eye of the beholder. ;)
No one who claimed that this wasn't rash would be taken seriously in our society.
Already been done. Take a look at "The Message". As far as I've heard, it's really good at sticking to the original Greek and Hebrew texts while making more sense to a 21st century mind. :)
I've never heard of that, but I'll check it out! :)
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

RoboBlue wrote: I know a few "Christians" who don't believe in the divinity of Christ. Ironically they all go to church regularly. When asked "what makes you a Christian?", one of them told me "because I say I am."
That's another way of looking at it: you are whatever you claim you are. The point is that your criterion is too strict either way: a very reasonable Christian view rejects the OT as mythology, and I'm sure one could also reasonably reject Paul and Relevation, for instance.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism
RoboBlue wrote: I have never once heard a pastor mention during a service that "none of this stuff actually happened", so it's certainly encouraged.
1) That's because pastors have to appeal to the whole audience; for example, I'm sure a lot of them talk about [the popular conception of] souls, despite the scholarly consensus that there's no such thing in the Bible, and 2) A lot of the historical stuff in the OT probably did happen; it's just that it's tainted by an authorship that also attributes many natural things to God, "talks" to God, etc.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

KeenEmpire wrote:That's another way of looking at it: you are whatever you claim you are. The point is that your criterion is too strict either way: a very reasonable Christian view rejects the OT as mythology, and I'm sure one could also reasonably reject Paul and Relevation, for instance.

Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism
That sounds a lot like the direction I feel Christianity should be moving, and I understand that the criterion that I've stated (literal belief in the bible) is very strict, but I also know that it doesn't describe most Christians. The problem is, most Christians I've known never read or studied the bible outside of church (if even there), which made it impossible to understand what they really believed.
In reasonable, moderate people this can lead to disagreement with the biblical mythology, but it often still leads to the subtle assumption (without proof) that parts of the bible are literally true. In our society, people rarely seem to question the story of Moses and how he led the Jews out of Egypt, but there is no archaeological evidence to support that story.
KeenEmpire wrote:1) That's because pastors have to appeal to the whole audience; for example, I'm sure a lot of them talk about [the popular conception of] souls, despite the scholarly consensus that there's no such thing in the Bible, and 2) A lot of the historical stuff in the OT probably did happen; it's just that it's tainted by an authorship that also attributes many natural things to God, "talks" to God, etc.
From my experience working in the church, it seemed more like "appeasing the whole audience" rather than appealing to them, because it looked almost like motivated members of the congregation acted as a union, eventually forcing the pastor out of his/her job if he/she didn't preach what they wanted to hear. I understand that most of the congregation were nice, good people, but they often tended to be silent and uninvolved.
Edit: this really has nothing to do with theology, but it really bothered me that the upper branches of the church hierarchy trusted random loud-mouthed jerks more than trained pastors who had actually read the bible.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

think the reason for that is fairly simple: Christianity (and probably most religions) means something different for each and every person. For a complete outsider, the only solid definition of Christianity is the "I read the bible and believe all of it" one, since no one has any way of knowing what parts any one individual believes.
Maybe not even that. There are probabl enough people out there (Especially in Japan.) that know little enough to just go 'Christ, cross, bible thing.' and that's it.
The Bible contradicts itself horribly (being written by many different people) and advocates some pretty disturbing, rash things; This leads to accusations based on the assumption that anyone claiming to be a Christian literally believes all of the Bible, which leads to defensiveness on the part of the person claiming to be a Christian, because no one in our society likes to be painted as a negative stereotype.
This itself is an outsider view, most Christians will tell you that the bible does not contradict itself at all. (And that YOU my friend do your evolution, it's random, but you say it's NOT just random? Make up your mind!)

Problems often arise in interpretation. Is God ok with gays? What about the trinity? Do we keep he sabbath holy? A lot of sects and even entire religions are based on 'Those guys make no sense, we're based on solid logic!'

And there's no better way to annoy people than to take something from the bible and not even think about how it might make sense.

As an example saying 'Genesis contradicts itself about the order of creation' i about the same as 'Darwin recanted on his deathebed and admitted evolution was just speculation' anyone who knows anything about that field can immediately spot the wrongness.

But instead of listening to the other side, the argument is often immediately dismissed as just being a stupid excuse. (Oh one was the actual order the other was focused around Man's creation... riiiight. Ah there's no proof of that and his family denied it, suuuure.) So you have two groups of people who as far as they can see are obviously right, while their opponents are obviously wrong, so wrong only an idiot would believe them, and they're too dumb to even admit it!

You now have (at least) two pissed off people who are both completely mistaken about what the other person is thinking.
It would save everyone a lot of hate and confusion if someone could just re-edit the bible for the 21st century.
Good idea, first we'll cut out all that God stuff, nobody believes in that anymore. Also the miracles are totally unrealistic...

But seriously? People have. In many different ways. There are bibles in basic english, the kiwi bible, bible concordances, it can still be a struggle to be informed about something. (Wait... so why didn't the farmer just pull out the weeds and leave the wheat? *I* can weed a garden surely!)

Also, some certain harsh Hebrew laws are included in the Old Testament - to understand the meaning of the New Testament, one needs to have at least a passing understanding of Rabbinic Judaism (along with the Messianic prophecy that came along with it).
And the culture at the time. People are often shocked about the 'You rape a woman, you marry her' law until they find out that the usual procedure was 'You get off scott free! The women is kicked out and has to become a whore!' Old testament times were not at all nice, and applying modern standards to them causes a lot of headaches.

Indeed, one of the big splitters between denominations. America will tell you 'It's all true darnit!' while many in Europe say 'It's got a lot of metaphor and poetry in it'

I take the stance that if God is who He is, then the bible is divine and thus all true, if not literally true. (Jesus is the way, not a footpath or road map. He is the son of man, but Joseph didn't give birth.)

Another big splitter is, if you're going to discount stuff, you'll usually do it the way you like. (I like gays, all that bashing is nonsense; I hate liberals I'll just ignore that stuff about helping others.) Conservapedia's bible project is an extreme example of this, the bible is apparently filled with liberal bias and needs to be edited. It'll finally say what God 8really* meant, that heaven is republican. (And not liberal republican either!)

I know a few "Christians" who don't believe in the divinity of Christ. Ironically they all go to church regularly. When asked "what makes you a Christian?", one of them told me "because I say I am." The problem with this is that Christianity claims to help people and solve problems, but if your doctor practiced medicine without a diploma he'd be put in prison.
This is why LL hates mainstream churches. She dislikes being able to say you're something 'just because' without any real effort of life change.

The fact that one does not have to take the bible literally is irrelevant, because many people do, and I have never once heard a pastor mention during a service that "none of this stuff actually happened", so it's certainly encouraged.
I have. Though I imagine it's not popular in American influenced countries. Did you know at one time there was the idea that the 'rapture' had already happened? (Roughly speaking.)

Why is that necessary? The Old Testament does provide backstory for the New Testament, but it's hardly necessary for most Christians. Jesus lived in an oppressive theocracy that tried to shut him up, and that's most of what you need to know.
Most damningly, Christians totally ignore most, if not all Jewish laws, including the Ten Commandments.
He also quoted it whenever he could. Often he said 'It is written' or 'Is it not written?' And it is full of good stuff too, the book of proverbs has some gems, even if they are the kind of stuff that makes perfect sense. (Money doesn't buy you happiness.) but nobody follows anyway. For spiritual people I imagine they can pull all sorts of stuff out of it about the nature of God and suchlike. At the very least I learned from it that people suck and can be real mean sometimes.
Jesus liberally interpreted the laws as he saw fit. While I think we can agree that his interpretations made more sense than the fairly strict laws of the time, in Mark 2:23-28 he presumes to reinterpret the third commandment, which (even in the current bible) very strictly states that no work shall be done on the sabbath. However, Matthew 5:17 sees Jesus claiming that he has not come to destroy the law, even though he re-interpreted and broke it constantly.
The laws already had been reinterpreted from when they were written, it was not legal for a doctor to save someone on the sabbath day to some people.(And of course, stick gathering... heinous!) What most people Ive talked to argue is that Jesus followed the spirit of the law, not the letter. (The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath = Saturday was supposed to be a day of scripture reading and introspection that you didn't waste working, but geez, cut people some slack, its for their good, not their limitation!)

He also said basically 'I'm here, new covenant, old one not needed anymore. Don't obey all those little nitpicky laws, just be *good* (Murder, not good. Lying, not good, you get the idea, be good and you'll naturally fufill all those laws.)

That's another way of looking at it: you are whatever you claim you are. The point is that your criterion is too strict either way: a very reasonable Christian view rejects the OT as mythology, and I'm sure one could also reasonably reject Paul and Relevation, for instance.
*Snerk!* Bahahahahaaaa!

'Reasonable'? Some would say the only reasonable option would be total rejection. What is reasonable depends on the belief of the person. I've heard often that evolution is just chance and only a moron would think it could magically come up with what we see around us.

And they're not deluded, they believe this, with the same conviction that you don't. That feeling you have (Right now?) that you are so obviously right, it makes so much sense, everything backs 8you* up? They have that too. As I've said, if God is true, all of the bible is true, that's logic. (I doubt a God who is so powerful and did all that stuff would let people write stuff down that was all lies.) I don't do half and halfs, either there was a flood and Eden or there wasn't, it's either history or its a story. I fail to see logic in God letting some parts be true and having the rest shoved in there (WHY? Because it made good reading?)
From my experience working in the church, it seemed more like "appeasing the whole audience" rather than appealing to them, because it looked almost like motivated members of the congregation acted as a union, eventually forcing the pastor out of his/her job if he/she didn't preach what they wanted to hear.
It's called groupthink, and everyone does it. Remember the banks? The 'We don't need anyone to monitor us, we're all doing fine and all of us agree no exceptions'? The dot com boom, various political parties and all the rest? Once you get a group there is a group mind. And it is hard to change.
Edit: this really has nothing to do with theology, but it really bothered me that the upper branches of the church hierarchy trusted random loud-mouthed jerks more than trained pastors who had actually read the bible.
This has nothing to do with the topic, but it really bothers me that society will pick a leader based on birth certificates and seeing russia from their house rather than a demonstration of understanding issues and being able to handle the position. Or that people will listen to a loudmouth saying 'It's a conspiracy! The microwave companies hid the evidence and bribed people' rather than the scientific consensus about anything at all.
The problem is, most Christians I've known never read or studied the bible outside of church (if even there), which made it impossible to understand what they really believed.
Say this to LL, if you do it right she'll start foaming at the mouth.
In our society, people rarely seem to question the story of Moses and how he led the Jews out of Egypt, but there is no archaeological evidence to support that story.
Indeed, but the bible's been surprisingly right before. You never know. (Though absence of evidence IS evidence of absence and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Levellass wrote:x
Any comments on my counterexamples? :p

Levellass wrote:'Reasonable'? Some would say the only reasonable option would be total rejection. What is reasonable depends on the belief of the person.
And I thought you had been earlier complaining about those arguments that kill off common ground for the sake of personal belief. By 'reasonable', I mean that there's a rationale that works and that can be used to convince non-"I'm just right and want to shut my ears" Christians that you're not totally insane, even if they decidedly don't adopt it themselves.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Levellass wrote:This itself is an outsider view, most Christians will tell you that the bible does not contradict itself at all. (And that YOU my friend do your evolution, it's random, but you say it's NOT just random? Make up your mind!)
I never brought up evolution, and I agree that it isn't fully understood, but what exactly are you saying? Evolution is wrong, therefore the bible makes perfect sense? Even if evolution is complete garbage, that doesn't prove that any other theory or hypothesis is right.
Levellass wrote:Problems often arise in interpretation. Is God ok with gays? What about the trinity? Do we keep he sabbath holy? A lot of sects and even entire religions are based on 'Those guys make no sense, we're based on solid logic!'
I think the fact that "don't work at all on the sabbath" appears as one of the ten commandments, one of the only direct quotes from God in the Bible, suggests that it's meant to be important. The fact that Christians don't celebrate the sabbath, and instead celebrate the day of resurrection is a significant contradiction.
Levellass wrote:Good idea, first we'll cut out all that God stuff, nobody believes in that anymore. Also the miracles are totally unrealistic...
But seriously? People have. In many different ways. There are bibles in basic english, the kiwi bible, bible concordances, it can still be a struggle to be informed about something. (Wait... so why didn't the farmer just pull out the weeds and leave the wheat? *I* can weed a garden surely!)
Before this discussion started, I had no idea that there were alternate edits of the Bible, and I still need to do more research to understand how much has been removed. For the most part I'm just questioning why horrific Old Testament laws like "stone these people to death" and "you can sell your daughter into slavery" are even in the book, because they're not presented in a "this is how it was in the old days and it was terrible" form, but in a "this is the law of God" form.
Levellass wrote:I take the stance that if God is who He is, then the bible is divine and thus all true, if not literally true. (Jesus is the way, not a footpath or road map. He is the son of man, but Joseph didn't give birth.)
Another big splitter is, if you're going to discount stuff, you'll usually do it the way you like. (I like gays, all that bashing is nonsense; I hate liberals I'll just ignore that stuff about helping others.) Conservapedia's bible project is an extreme example of this, the bible is apparently filled with liberal bias and needs to be edited. It'll finally say what God 8really* meant, that heaven is republican. (And not liberal republican either!)
The problem with this is, the Bible was edited when it was canonized. Many gospels were deliberately left out in decisions made by men, not God.
As far as editing to remove "liberal bias" is concerned, it seems like almost everything Jesus ever said was extremely liberal (give all of your money away, because only the poor and meek shall inherit the earth), which makes me wonder what will be left.
Levellass wrote:He also quoted it whenever he could. Often he said 'It is written' or 'Is it not written?' And it is full of good stuff too, the book of proverbs has some gems, even if they are the kind of stuff that makes perfect sense. (Money doesn't buy you happiness.) but nobody follows anyway. For spiritual people I imagine they can pull all sorts of stuff out of it about the nature of God and suchlike. At the very least I learned from it that people suck and can be real mean sometimes.
To my knowledge, he never quoted the full Ten Commandments, the most important set of rules in Judaism (being written by God). Even when he did mention them in Matthew 19:16–19, he excluded "have no other god before me" and "keep the sabbath holy" among others. This implies that one does not need to believe in the Christian God to go to heaven, a very radical (but Jesus-like) idea.
Levellass wrote:The laws already had been reinterpreted from when they were written, it was not legal for a doctor to save someone on the sabbath day to some people.(And of course, stick gathering... heinous!) What most people Ive talked to argue is that Jesus followed the spirit of the law, not the letter. (The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath = Saturday was supposed to be a day of scripture reading and introspection that you didn't waste working, but geez, cut people some slack, its for their good, not their limitation!)
The "respect the sabbath" commandment was written in extremely strict language, not even permitting non-Jews in the area to work. Although I understand why gathering sticks would be essential, it's still definitely a form of work and could easily be seen as breaking the rule ("work" being anything you do when you're not resting, as the commandment indicates).
Levellass wrote:He also said basically 'I'm here, new covenant, old one not needed anymore. Don't obey all those little nitpicky laws, just be *good* (Murder, not good. Lying, not good, you get the idea, be good and you'll naturally fufill all those laws.)
The common interpretation of this contradicts that, although Jesus did quite effectively eliminate almost all of the old laws.
Levellass wrote:'Reasonable'? Some would say the only reasonable option would be total rejection. What is reasonable depends on the belief of the person. I've heard often that evolution is just chance and only a moron would think it could magically come up with what we see around us.
Ignorance is never reasonable, and being entirely spiritual, I don't think an outright belief in God can be called reasonable (because it's not derived from logic). While a reasonable decision to believe something is the result of a person's experiences and knowledge, a belief reached without the use of logic cannot be called reasonable. I'm not saying that the idea of God is impossible, but faith is the opposite of reason. A faith-based decision is based in trust without evidence, and a logical (reasonable) decision is based on trusting only evidence.
Levellass wrote:And they're not deluded, they believe this, with the same conviction that you don't. That feeling you have (Right now?) that you are so obviously right, it makes so much sense, everything backs 8you* up? They have that too. As I've said, if God is true, all of the bible is true, that's logic. (I doubt a God who is so powerful and did all that stuff would let people write stuff down that was all lies.) I don't do half and halfs, either there was a flood and Eden or there wasn't, it's either history or its a story. I fail to see logic in God letting some parts be true and having the rest shoved in there (WHY? Because it made good reading?)
Any decisions or statements based solely on the feeling that you are right cannot be considered reasonable, and are ironically based more on faith than science. That's why Atheism is often considered a faith; there is no evidence to support the belief that there absolutely cannot be a God, so that belief cannot be considered reasonable. As for God being all-powerful... why do bad things happen to good people? Why did God let the holocaust happen? Why are influential people allowed to mislead others in the name of God, openly praying for God to kill one person solely for the political gain of another? Bad things happen and lies are told in the name of God, while he (if he exists) stands by and lets many innocents die because of them. If you can explain this, please do.
Levellass wrote:Indeed, but the bible's been surprisingly right before. You never know. (Though absence of evidence IS evidence of absence and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!)
When has the Bible been surprisingly right? I may be mistaken, but I honestly don't know of a time that a majority of experts doubted the bible's historical accuracy and were proven wrong. Although absence of evidence is not evidence, it strains credulity to believe that hundreds of thousands of Jewish slaves were held in Egypt for hundreds of years, and suddenly all left without leaving a trace for the entire duration. That would be like if the American government suddenly decided to cover up Black slaves, and managed to remove any mention of them from every written record, as well as destroying all non-written cultural evidence such as clothing and food remains.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Well, it looks like the foreign coalition is still bombing gadafi. I think it's apparent that their goal is not to protect the rebels, but to displace gadafi himself. They've bombed gadafi's stronghold town, where there was no opposition.

If Gadafi captures Misrata, then the other small towns in the west will probably fall. Then it will really be just two halves, east and west. I got a feeling that the goal will be to break Libya up into two. That, or to just get Gadafi defeated, as they don't like him. This leads me to ask - what's stopping them from bombing any regime that they dislike?

Fun article... http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... &aid=23548
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Not every regime they dislike has oil.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

What ever stopped the west from attacking any regime they didn't like throughout all of history?
The world's not a fair place, but don't assume it ever was.
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

So tonight Obama said that forcing regime change would be a mistake. Yet, actions are basically doing that. :P
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Scarlet wrote:So tonight Obama said that forcing regime change would be a mistake. Yet, actions are basically doing that. :P
One argument I've hard for it is to make up for US inaction during the Rwanda crisis, which probably could have saved millions of lives if the international community hadn't waited for the genocide to end itself before they did anything. While I can understand the guilt for that and the rationale of defending unarmed citizens from a violent madman I acknowledge that Gaddafi has accomplished lots of good things during his rule and that Libyans generally have a higher income and much better education due to his policies, but that doesn't mean he isn't a brutal tyrant and a psycho, I think it's pretty clear that most of the international community has decided that Gaddafi himself needs to go. Where this is a conundrum is that, one the one hand, he almost certainly really will come down hard on the rebels and be completely merciless if he wins in the end, but on the other hand it really isn't the international community's business to come in on one side of the conflict when they have no prior commitment to. While I'd personally like to see Gaddafi ousted from power, I worry that the powers involved have already committed themselves to a cause that was never really theirs and that will be difficult to hop out of if things go much further (if it isn't already.)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

There's also the question of "since the world isn't fair, and we're not really helping that much, why should the US step in at all?"
It seems like American politicians think of us as Super Jesus and not an independent nation with financial responsibilities of its own that are currently being severely overlooked.