Religion discussion

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
DaVince
lazy/busy Keener

Religion discussion

Post by DaVince »

A lot of people are getting fed up by the derailing of other threads because of all kinds of religious discussions.

If someone says something religiously offensive, either ignore it, or quote the person in THIS thread and start discussing it. Keep those other threads for what they are supposed to be discussing. Please.

(I know I'm not a mod, just posting what I think is for the best.)
Wow look at me I'm lurking
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Watch this turn into a topic about Commander Keen.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

StupidBunny wrote:Watch this turn into a topic about Commander Keen.
^
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Is Keen an atheist, like many major scientific minds? Has Keen adopted foreign alien relgions?

Seriously though.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

TerminILL wrote:Is Keen an atheist, like many major scientific minds? Has Keen adopted foreign alien relgions?

Seriously though.
Or have his travels led him to intergalactic gods? 8) :dead2
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
guynietoren
Vorticon Elite

Post by guynietoren »

TerminILL wrote:Is Keen an atheist, like many major scientific minds? Has Keen adopted foreign alien relgions?
Seriously though.
You mean unlike these famous Christian scientific minds?
Albert Einstein
Isaac Newton
Michael Faraday
Max Planck
William Thomson Kelvin
Robert Boyle
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

kuliwil wrote:

Seriously though.
Or have his travels led him to intergalactic gods? 8) :dead2
It's like the Doctor said: "there were days, there were many days, when these words could burn stars, raise up empires, topple gods".
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Scarlet
Vorticon Elite

Post by Scarlet »

Was keen religious?

Yeah I know it's a dumb question, but I felt like opening up a can of worms. lulz.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

A better question, what kind of Jihad has Keen unleashed upon the Earth?
Seriously, the Grand Intellect may have brainwashed entire civilizations, but who's to say there aren't beings willingly loyal to him that view him as a God? What happens when radical Vorticons and Shikadi start randomly ramming spaceships into Keen's house?
Also... did anyone notice the Vorticon mothership (and other ships? Did they plan on shooting lasers through the Earth to hit some of those targets?) in orbit around the Earth?
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

I guess the main question when figuring out if Keen is religious or not is "Is Tom Hall religious." After all, the character of Keen IS based off Hall as a kid, to an extent.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

More importantly, what are Mort's religious views? Does he think of himself as a god, destroying the universe because he thinks he is a divine, all-knowing entity that holds the right to pass judgement as he sees fit?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Is Keen an atheist, like many major scientific minds? Has Keen adopted foreign alien relgions?
*Snerk!* Even a far share of ordinary scientific minds were religious, indeed science emerged from a sincere desire to exammine God's creation and the links between the two run deep, even today.

A better question, what kind of Jihad has Keen unleashed upon the Earth?
Seriously, the Grand Intellect may have brainwashed entire civilizations, but who's to say there aren't beings willingly loyal to him that view him as a God? What happens when radical Vorticons and Shikadi start randomly ramming spaceships into Keen's house?
Also... did anyone notice the Vorticon mothership (and other ships? Did they plan on shooting lasers through the Earth to hit some of those targets?) in orbit around the Earth?
Commander Keen is evidently as well known as Mortimer and he's probably had little adventures we don't know about, enforcing galactic justice with an iron hand and all. I'd say the ideology against earth would be more political than.. *Thinks of Al Queda* Yeah... I'm thinking of suicide asteroids.

I guess the main question when figuring out if Keen is religious or not is "Is Tom Hall religious." After all, the character of Keen IS based off Hall as a kid, to an extent.
That doesn't mean he's identical, and the question would be WAS Tom Hall religious?

More importantly, what are Mort's religious views? Does he think of himself as a god, destroying the universe because he thinks he is a divine, all-knowing entity that holds the right to pass judgment as he sees fit?
There is no God, or he'd have made things one heck of a lot better. Before the Grand Intellect modified himself, he shared the weaknesses of all humans, inability to make vitamin C for example. How could a God not make anything perfect?

Also, he is the closest thing to a God now, the smartest and therefore most perfect creature in the universe. He shall end it and remake it in his image.

Or have his travels led him to intergalactic gods?
You mean like the Mormons have? Or like Warhammer 40K has? (Stuns for the stun god!)
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Levellass wrote:Commander Keen is evidently as well known as Mortimer and he's probably had little adventures we don't know about, enforcing galactic justice with an iron hand and all. I'd say the ideology against earth would be more political than.. *Thinks of Al Queda* Yeah... I'm thinking of suicide asteroids.
Do we really know that he's well-known though? Out of the people who've actually spoken to Keen in the games, his parents and neighbors obviously know him personally (but not necessarily by the name Keen), the Council is all-seeing and all-knowing (and I get the impression that he's used their services before), and the Vorticons deliberately targeted him, so obviously they'd know his name. The one person who probably didn't know him personally, the Council Page, got his name wrong.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

Locke and Socrates dislike this thread.
RoboBlue wrote:
Levellass wrote:Commander Keen is evidently as well known as Mortimer and he's probably had little adventures we don't know about, enforcing galactic justice with an iron hand and all. I'd say the ideology against earth would be more political than.. *Thinks of Al Queda* Yeah... I'm thinking of suicide asteroids.
Do we really know that he's well-known though? Out of the people who've actually spoken to Keen in the games, his parents and neighbors obviously know him personally (but not necessarily by the name Keen), the Council is all-seeing and all-knowing (and I get the impression that he's used their services before), and the Vorticons deliberately targeted him, so obviously they'd know his name. The one person who probably didn't know him personally, the Council Page, got his name wrong.
We don't know if he is or not because ID software didn't give a fucl. Are you guys seriously asking such a pointless question? :| This is a game, and it's meant to be played, certainly not meant to be religious or something.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Over the course of the series, Keen sets out to destroy Grand Intellectualism (which he treated as a form of government, but was pretty clearly a religion), and in Keen 3 it seems pretty intentional. He didn't know That the Shikadi were Grand Intellectuals, but he also never seemed to question their motivation to destroy the galaxy, suggesting that he didn't care.
Also, did he ever read that note Mort left for him?