Religion discussion

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Satan.
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
Grimson
The Dragoner

Post by Grimson »

Wait what, the president must nontheless be Christian? Isn't that only formally, like when giving the presidental oath or something?

So what the garg has religion to do with politics?
"All those thousands upon thousands of junk foods made for me on the various planets I explored make me wonder how I'm still alive."
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

As I believe Lava89 has mentioned, Protestants and Catholics have a different (although similar in many ways) idea of Christ than that of Mormons. If "christian" simply means follower of Jesus, then yes, both parties are a follower of 'a' Jesus. The only problem I see in this is that the meaning of 'Christian' and the ideologies associated with the term are muddled further than they already are.

Whether it's possible to elect a candidate that doesn't profess to be catholic or protestant, I don't know. I'd like to think so. I voted for Mitt Romney in last election's GOP primary, I may do the same in the upcoming.
Paramultart wrote:Satan.
Enjoy your ban.

@Grimson: RoboBlue originally stated it in terms of Romney's chances against Perry and others for the republican nomination, I think (I only glimpsed the post before it was edited).
Last edited by Ceilick on Sun Oct 09, 2011 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Grimson wrote:Wait what, the president must nontheless be Christian? Isn't that only formally, like when giving the presidental oath or something?

It's sort of like race, hometown, and upbringing. These are things that most people say don't matter to them, but secretly influence their votes and opinions.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Ceilick wrote:
Enjoy your ban.
Bit harsh...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

thehackercat wrote:
Grimson wrote:Wait what, the president must nontheless be Christian? Isn't that only formally, like when giving the presidental oath or something?

It's sort of like race, hometown, and upbringing. These are things that most people say don't matter to them, but secretly influence their votes and opinions.
Religion's a much bigger deal in the US than race or hometown, though. While you generally won't find people from the KKK screaming about Obama's race (I refuse to label the birther movement as racism, because that would imply that the pundits and politicians involved actually believed what they were claiming), it seems like candidates' religions are brought up almost every day during the election cycle.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

There have been at least two non-Protestant, non-Catholic presidents elected in the US: Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, both deists. A deist elected to the US presidency is far less likely now that it was ~two hundred thirty years ago, though.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

DHeadshot wrote:
Ceilick wrote:
Enjoy your ban.
Bit harsh...
It may be the culmination of things and all, but I agree that it probably was a bit harsh.

Also: Australia's parliament is opened with a prayer every day - for a liberal society it sure ain't a liberal practice.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Wikipedia lists Madison as a practicing Episcopalian, while Jefferson did at least claim to be a Christian in a broader sense; he clearly doesn't fit in well with the major Protestant or Catholic branches though.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

A lot of Christians consider Mormonism not to be part of Christianity. It depends on how you define Christianity. I don't see what the issue is here.

Edit: As to whether he can be voted, it really depends on how much they play the religion card. I'm not sure I see people caring too much, what with the economy being the prime issue and all. Then again, I don't subscribe to this insanity, so I could be wrong.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

From what I've read about Jefferson, it seems he swung between deism and Christianity - although he was a bit.... "heretical", for lack of a better word. I think he denied the deity of Christ, like Isaac Newton. Or didn't believe in the Trinity or something. I'll have to look it up.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

RoboBlue wrote:Wikipedia lists Madison as a practicing Episcopalian, while Jefferson did at least claim to be a Christian in a broader sense; he clearly doesn't fit in well with the major Protestant or Catholic branches though.
Hmm, okay. My model of James Madison is updated. At least he's still not Protestant or Catholic.
@hackercat: Jefferson's heresy might have been his personally produced edition of the New Testament with the moral lessons intact and the miracles removed.