Cuba

A general chat area, here you can post anything that doesn't belong in another forum.
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Cuba

Post by Rorie »

what is all this talk about america telling it's citizens that they are not allowed to travel to cuba? surely a government cannot tell it people that they are not allowed to travel to another country that thier government does not like so why all the anti cuba sentiment from america?. yes the country is a dictatorship lead by the castro brothers but also there are freindly cubans who need the money to survive. cuba cannot even adopt the u.s dollar cuz of the embargo placed by the united states. also if you use bank cards issued by ameican banks they are rejected at every atm, so if an american wants to travel to cuba and needs currency how do they get it? travelers cheques? this is not an anti-america thread i grew up a long time ago and stopped attacking americans. i just want clarification on this controversial subject
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
shikadi
Vorticon Elite

Post by shikadi »

maybe it has something to do with this
nothing usefull here
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

The US doesn't even allow the import of Cuban Cigars. It's all about the Cuban Missile Crisis, as shikadi said.
This has been going on since the cold war.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

shikadi wrote:maybe it has something to do with this
...which is silly because, while that was obviously a very severe and real crisis back in the 60s, the world environment has changed quite a lot since then. Cuba at this point presents no threat to the US, and interestingly enough the US citizens who most want to keep the embargo going are actually generally Cuban-Americans who fled the Castro regime.
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

I think we're technically still "at conflict" with Cuba, and the US reserves the right to ban civilians from entering a war zone. The cold war never ended anyway, those damn commies turned around and got one of their own elected president. :crazy
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Every Cuban-American I know has a horror story. Even the kids. A lot of anti-Cuban sentiment comes from - surprise! - the ones who fled the country in the first place.

Castro's a garg. But I haven't heard anything about travel restrictions.. Should I be paying more attention?
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

thehackercat wrote:I haven't heard anything about travel restrictions.. Should I be paying more attention?
Travel to Cuba is and has been illegal for most US citizens since the 1960s, and it only became legal in 2009 for people with relatives in Cuba to visit the country. It's still possible to go by chartering a flight, typically out of another Latin American or Caribbean country. I don't know of any other countries that US citizens can't legally visit, even North Korea is allowed (although in that case it's the North Korean government that's likely to refuse US citizens access.)
Rorie
Tru-Blu Aussie Born & Bred

Post by Rorie »

RoboBlue wrote:I think we're technically still "at conflict" with Cuba, and the US reserves the right to ban civilians from entering a war zone. The cold war never ended anyway, those damn commies turned around and got one of their own elected president. :crazy
that just sucks!. fancy having your own government dictating where you can and cannot travel to!
If you can't change the rules, challenge them, rules are made to be broken
Up yours Fleexy!
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Rorie wrote:fancy having your own government dictating where you can and cannot travel to!
Hee, hee. Actually, I personally don't care a lot. Cuba isn't on my top list of places in the world to visit anyway. We aren't blocked from going there because we're mean; we're blocked because the Cuban and American governments hate each other (and some of the people hate each other too). I personally feel it's a little better than trying to travel between Israel and Palestine, as there's huge amounts of distrust on both sides. Better just to stay out of each others' way rather than being worried about the guy next to you on the bus carrying a bomb just because he's from another country.

It isn't the best of any world, to be sure, but it could be worse. (Yay for Pollyanna attitudes! :D)
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Rorie wrote:
RoboBlue wrote:I think we're technically still "at conflict" with Cuba, and the US reserves the right to ban civilians from entering a war zone. The cold war never ended anyway, those damn commies turned around and got one of their own elected president. :crazy
that just sucks!. fancy having your own government dictating where you can and cannot travel to!
Worse, they take nude photos of you even if you do abide by the rules.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

As far as I'm aware the whole *point* of governments is to tell you what to and not to do. That's what they're FOR.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

Levellass wrote:As far as I'm aware the whole *point* of governments is to tell you what to and not to do. That's what they're FOR.
Exactly. That's why I say fucl 'em.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
RoboBlue
It's that one guy.

Post by RoboBlue »

Libertarianism isn't the same as Anarchism though. Libertarians still believe in government for purposes of military and police forces.
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

I'm just glad I'm not American... :P

Actually, the fact that You lot can't go to Cuba but we can go to Argentina, France, India, Pakistan, Germany, Australia, New Zealand - in fact basically anywhere - begs the question "Has everyone forgotten about what we got up to during the Empire days?"
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

DHeadshot wrote:Actually, the fact that You lot can't go to Cuba but we can go to Argentina, France, India, Pakistan, Germany, Australia, New Zealand - in fact basically anywhere - begs the question "Has everyone forgotten about what we got up to during the Empire days?"
This is a lot more noticeable when travelling to Africa south of the Sahara. A lot of African countries will charge much higher fees for their former colonizers and for western Europeans in general, while charging relatively little or nothing for Americans. The most amusing case of this was when our tour group was considering a day trip into Rwanda, and the one Belgian guy would've had to have paid like 3 times more than anybody else.